Rune of Power

90 Goblin Mage
NEEDS to be instant cast. So annoying having to stop dpsing for 1.38 seconds just to cast this damn thing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
... if its instant cast or a 1.38second cast, arent you stopping DPS for the same amount of time?

you wont be dps'ing for a GCD either way.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
... if its instant cast or a 1.38second cast, arent you stopping DPS for the same amount of time?

you wont be dps'ing for a GCD either way.

I'm going to let you think about that one for a second.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
dude, its like 4:30am here and im either way more tired than i think, or you done goofed up.

if its a 1.38s cast. its effectively at the cost of a GCD and no more. If its instant, its still going to cost a GCD. so whether its 1.38seconds or "instant" it still stops your dps for the same amount of time.

If its off the gcd for some weird reason then i could see your argument, but that would just be silly anyway.
Reply Quote
i just got tired of always having to put RoP down before every fight and 4 times during the fight...i just use incanters ward for the 6% spell power..
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
dude, its like 4:30am here and im either way more tired than i think, or you done goofed up.

if its a 1.38s cast. its effectively at the cost of a GCD and no more. If its instant, its still going to cost a GCD. so whether its 1.38seconds or "instant" it still stops your dps for the same amount of time.

If its off the gcd for some weird reason then i could see your argument, but that would just be silly anyway.

GCD is 1.5 seconds and the fact that instant would improve mobility as FIRE would be very helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
So much mage on mage hate!

The intention of the talent is to limit mobility, to make the mage stay in one spot or do considerably less DPS.

I wish I bookmarked the forum thread, but the coolest suggestion I found was that ROP was indeed instant cast and automatically placed below where the mage was standing.

it would be nice, since we'd only need one rune up at a time, and the talent will serve its purpose to inhibit our mobility. There is no point in having two runes, as we cannot be in two places at once.
Edited by Audran on 10/3/2012 2:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/03/2012 02:30 AMPosted by Hissler
GCD is 1.5 seconds and the fact that instant would improve mobility as FIRE would be very helpful.

gcd is lessened with haste.

and how would removing the cast time (which is equal to the GCD) allow you to continue dpsing ?

it would end up just being a gap in you playstyle. you'd hit the instant button and then do nothing for 1.5seconds then continue.

10/03/2012 02:34 AMPosted by Audran
There is no point in having two runes, as we cannot be in two places at once.

the 2nd rune is so there is some mobility to the talent. Think of Magmaw from BWD. when magmaw mangled on the side you were on, you ran to the other side to avoid the ground fire.

On that fight with RoP you put a run on each side. If your side gets mangled, blink instantly into the 2nd rune on the other side with only a single GCD of damage lost.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
10/03/2012 02:43 AMPosted by Jkspiritlink

gcd is lessened with haste.

and how would removing the cast time (which is equal to the GCD) allow you to continue dpsing ?

it would end up just being a gap in you playstyle. you'd hit the instant button and then do nothing for 1.5seconds then continue.

There is no point in having two runes, as we cannot be in two places at once.

the 2nd rune is so there is some mobility to the talent. Think of Magmaw from BWD. when magmaw mangled on the side you were on, you ran to the other side to avoid the ground fire.

On that fight with RoP you put a run on each side. If your side gets mangled, blink instantly into the 2nd rune on the other side with only a single GCD of damage lost.

If you cannot understand how instant cast would be beneficial then this conversation is pointless. Go away now and troll someone else.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Why not just be able to instant cast the rune my location as long as I don't move from my 2.25 yard rune to get the buff? I am immobile either way, and if I am mobile I do 15% less damage.

For what it is worth, I am a fan of invocation, but I would like ROP to be not intimidating to players.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
10/03/2012 03:12 AMPosted by Audran
Why not just be able to instant cast the rune my location as long as I don't move from my 2.25 yard rune to get the buff? I am immobile either way, and if I am mobile I do 15% less damage.

If it casts in your location, you're not able to pre-place one elsewhere. General idea is that you should be able to plan out a location for your runes, and put them down before you reach the location (e.g. before combat, or during an interruption in DPS, or with POM or Ice Floes). You can then start casting the moment you reach your rune, rather than having to place the rune after arriving.

Edit: Icy Veins and Ice Floes are not the same thing.
Edited by Lhivera on 10/3/2012 6:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I think it should be a 60 min buff spell the mage casts on him/herself. When the buff is up, the Rune should appear under the mage 1.38 seconds after you cast any hostile spell. It should disappear when you move. This achieves GhostCrawler's goal of penalizing mages for movement and yet will not impact the natural play style of a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/03/2012 05:36 AMPosted by Fuzzywashere
GhostCrawler's goal of penalizing mages for movement and yet will not impact the natural play style of a mage.

Ghostcrawler stated it was his intention to penalize mages for movement????

Gahhh, after Diablo 3 I am so disappointed in myself for not doing my research before I bought this game! The whole expansion is going to be miserable for mages.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
GhostCrawler's goal of penalizing mages for movement and yet will not impact the natural play style of a mage.

This was posted specifically in response to Hunters, but it's clearly talking about ranged specs in general:

Movement should be terrible for a ranged spec. Full stop. All of the various mechanics we put in from Spiritwalker's Grace to Aspect of the Fox are to make moving less terrible, but it should still be pretty terrible. (And if you think there are specs not penalized enough by moving, please let us know, though probably not in this thread. We felt that ranged movement got a bid out of control in Cataclysm so we've definitely made an attempt to scale it back.)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6351795649?page=25#486

Knowing this really makes a lot of their design decisions more clear — and it's something you need to bear in mind when making suggestions, as well. Changes that run contrary to this intention of reduced mobile DPS for ranged specs are unlikely to gain much traction.
Edited by Lhivera on 10/3/2012 6:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/03/2012 05:38 AMPosted by Reachey

Gahhh, after Diablo 3 I am so disappointed in myself for not doing my research before I bought this game! The whole expansion is going to be miserable for mages.

Yeah Lhiv, I got it....that's why I said the whole thing about I wish I would have read this before I bought MoP. The devs will be stubborn with this terrible design concept for the majority of this expansion, it's very clear.

Mark my words though, 80% of the way through MoP or maybe patch 6.0.X blue posts will be admitting that they limited the movement of ranged classes too much and that is was more or less or bad idea. MARK EM
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Can you cast this while moving like scorch? If not, it'd be nice if we can cast rune of power while moving
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
invocation > all
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I have given 2 suggestions in the past that still maintain the basic structure of the spell (including the movement restriction) but improve the QoL:

1. Instant cast, only 1 rune possible. Runes last until new one is placed. Cooldown on spell is increased to compensate for loss of cast time. (~20 seconds) - still restricts movement, still rewards good planning/rune placement (inversely punishing the bad)

2. Instant cast, big cooldown, only 1 rune possible. Runes remain until new one is placed, or current one is "drained". Standing in Rune gives slowly stacking buff, max stack of like 15. Once 15 stacks have been absorbed from Rune it disappears - Extremely similar to first suggestion, but I like this one more because it really adds the element of absorbing power from the rune
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage

If it casts in your location, you're not able to pre-place one elsewhere. General idea is that you should be able to plan out a location for your runes, and put them down before you reach the location (e.g. before combat, or during an interruption in DPS, or with POM or Ice Floes). You can then start casting the moment you reach your rune, rather than having to place the rune after arriving.

Good point, however with a 60 second duration precasting and planning the locations gets kind of annoying when you factor in upkeep time maintaining them during a boss fight. Is maintenance time a factor in the design as well, or just mobility?

I am not trying to be negative, or troll, or whine. But why not have a siege tank model, something we simply hit that makes us unable to move if we want to do competitive DPS, and have it only be that?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I don't mind the cast time, I just hate the cooldown.

I don't remember it having a cooldown in the beta. If you mess up it's placement or get unlucky with random boss mechanics (the very first boss on Mogu'shun Vaults is a perfect example) then you are screwed for the entire duration of the cooldown.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]