I'm sorry? what? you call this balance?

90 Blood Elf Priest

The purpose of your post in this thread, and in the other thread, is to lend credibility to those who claim priests are perfectly good.

His intent is quite clear, post constructively or don't post at all. God forbid someone wants something other than mindless QQ buff me post on these forums. Quite a few regulars aren't asking for priest to not voice their concerns, but some of the post are absolutely your average emotional QQ post.

The problem is, there's very broad responses along the lines of, "You're all just QQ'ing." While that may not be the intent, that is how it is coming across. I agree that posting WoL rankings is not really helpful. On the other hand, the math has been done by other players, posted multiple times, and is not being listened to. Honestly, Sensations, it's deja-vu.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/05/2012 11:01 PMPosted by Serelina
PRIESTS ARE FINE QUITE WHINING

Nobody is really saying that.

BRING SOMETHING BETTER THEN LOGS

Again, nobody saying that. Some are arguing, correctly, that linking the front page of WoL and going "k look at hps meters" is evidence that lacks both context and substance.

Hell we had constructive threads full of thousands of hours of math

The overwhelming majority of feedback during beta was regarding Solace being mandatory and then a lack of throughput compared to other healers in a raid setting, both of which were addressed by Blizzard directly and changed (Solace nerf, 10% mana cost reduction). Whether or not it was enough is kind of irrelevant. You weren't ignored. You didn't want THOSE changes, you wanted THESE changes, and it helps your argument better to pretend like you were ignored entirely, poor things.

So now here you all, talking about how Shaman - err Priests (sorry I forgot this wasn't early Cata, the situation is just so exactly the same!), in your fallacious circle jerks of self-pity and anger, refusing to discuss things in a rational manner, stating that you already TRIED that but it didn't work, so clearly it never will, and the only way to change things is to clog a forum up with threads on the exact same subject, intended to annoy Blizzard into making a statement you want to hear, upon which you'll be convinced that it was not any constructive feedback that Blizzard took into consideration, but your whining, and thus will the cycle of terrible, awful posting continue in this and other forums, because hey, it clearly worked that one time.

My money's on Druids being next in line, stay tuned.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Pandaren Monk
HC

So what is it you'd like?

Would you like every single poster, every single time, to re-vomit out Kaels' posts, with the same math Kaels posted six months ago in the beta forums and here?

Please don't make assumptions, it doesn't make you credible whatsoever.

What I'm asking is for people to try their best to describe their problems with the class. Linking parses and dropping them on a table doesn't explain player experience and nor will it ever. Saying "Priests are broken" doesn't explain player experience and nor will it ever. Telling me to read someone else's post while you post less-than-needed content just because you don't have the eloquence to correctly state what you want doesn't explain player experience and nor will it ever.

I have no idea how long have you been reading the forum, or even if you're aware of Blizzards design and implementing process - but what's going on now is pretty normal.

It has been about a week since the first raid came out. If you expect for Blizzard to drop their asses on a whistle just because of that data alone you're going to be sorely mistaken.

10/05/2012 10:16 PMPosted by Taymage
The purpose of your post in this thread, and in the other thread, is to lend credibility to those who claim priests are perfectly good.

You seem to do this thing where you're taking what I'm saying and twisting it to whatever you want. Stop that. Take what I'm saying at face value. I don't get where you're getting off that there's some hidden agenda, but if you ask anyone who knows 5 cents of knowledge about me: I'm all for balance.
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/05/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Staccato
I'm all for balance

Perhaps that is your problem.

You see, sometimes balance is not helpful.

Sometimes, the answer is not "balanced".

Sometimes the answer is not: "the truth lies somewhere between those who say priests are wonderfully fine and those who say priests are in a bad place".

My apologies if I have pegged you wrong.

I just literally could not envision a circumstance where you, who participated in a thread of two of Kaels' on the beta and elsewhere re: priest problems, would pop into threads like these, and just brush aside people expressing disappointment with the state of priest healing, as if nobody has ever properly, rigorously, or politely expressed such sentiments before.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Hell we had constructive threads full of thousands of hours of math done by kael, And myself when i could be bothered to do it, Hell i had me and friends running numbers and i was talking with alot of high end healers from guilds on my realms such as peaches and cream, Red sun, Gigantor of barthilas, Enigma and tribo from nagrand, All the healers from these realms that play priests say the same thing.

Priests have Massive problems right now.

I'm noticing this as well.

Posters post "priests have a problem". Greens respond with "show us proof."

Posters link logs - A TON of logs. Greens respond with either, "that's not good enough" or "it's only a small part - where's the big story? Oh right you don't have it" effectively discrediting the linking of logs, and whatever effort folks used in linking logs in hopes of being heard.

Then certain posters posts math, a ton of math, hard solid numbers, and greens either do not post in said thread, or posts something that neither agrees, or disagrees with said math. Look at the current, single green post in Kael's thread at the moment. Read it. It does, in no way, agrees with the math posted, nor does it back it up, it doesn't even DISagree. The green just says "I'm with him 100% with Kael trying to say what he wants to"........aka "I support you voicing your opinions but I in no way agree or disagree with whatever you are saying, so you go ahead and keep squawking and I'll just sit here and popcorn."

Whether it is intended or not, greens are at the moment coming across as horribly uncaring, unhelpful, and unsupportive and offering little to no constructive comments to the current atmosphere we have here. Right now at this point, reading the green posts, I feel absolutely no moral support from them. Its like watching the slimy politician try to worm his way out of every single serious vote-swinging question. In fact, I feel like the greens right now are try to fan the anger flames even by their posts instead of trying to sooth the flames.

I've read through most of the threads here and on priest forums and there has been many logs, math threads AND posts where upset players speak of their raid experiences and the troubles they are having. Yet I see a green posting this:

What I'm asking is for people to try their best to describe their problems with the class. Linking parses and dropping them on a table doesn't explain player experience and nor will it ever. Saying "Priests are broken" doesn't explain player experience and nor will it ever. Telling me to read someone else's post while you post less-than-needed content just because you don't have the eloquence to correctly state what you want doesn't explain player experience and nor will it ever.

Are Greens expecting someone to make a single thread, a compilation of each individual 'worthy to be read' post from the piles of angry unhappy posts, across both forums, link logs, link maths, sorted out and organized and labelled before being to them for reading ease before they can come to a conclusion?

I think folks here are simply looking for an either "Yes, I feel priest needs love" or "no, I feel priests are fine, l2P". Something to sooth the feathers or just outright be told they are wrong and should feel bad. Or how about just a very tactful "I am sure if these problems are serious, blues will look into it, have faith people! Hang in there!" is enough to calm the legion. But right now all we are getting is 'not good enough', 'this thread is bad' and 'you're doing it wrong' and as said above, 'no I'm not digging through all the complaint threads, go through logs, and come to a personal opinion'.

And it simply reeks of "I don't care and I don't want to care and it is not my concern." Which is probably worse than just outright not posting anything and staying silent.
Edited by Zamboozle on 10/5/2012 11:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Why is everyone focusing so much on the fact that Practical is an MVP? Get over it. He's allowed to have an opposing opinion just like all of us.

I do feel Disc especially is the weakest spec out there right now, but we are viable for normals at the very least. We might get a buff, if we don't, keep trying your hardest or reroll.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's my experience that people become strident when they do not feel heard.
it seems to me that many priest healers do not feel heard or understood by Blizzard.

As to what might make them feel listened too and understood I am not sure.

I do not expect an in game fix for a few weeks, but I would like a blue post. I know it's a no-no to title thread "Blue plz!" and then ask for a class buff. Otherwise the forums would be swamped and it would annoying. But I feel that we are getting a lack of communication. Even just a "tell me more, we thought it was okay, but if you don't give us more info" would be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Why is everyone focusing so much on the fact that Practical is an MVP? Get over it. He's allowed to have an opposing opinion just like all of us.

I do feel Disc especially is the weakest spec out there right now, but we are viable for normals at the very least. We might get a buff, if we don't, keep trying your hardest or reroll.

If a Green is 'allowed' to air 'any' opinion regardless of result, they would not be a MVP.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4038704715

While they are not blues, I"ll like to think that they are here to sooth flames, quell uproars, and basically bring everyone down from angry to calm and well and be overall constructive to whatever the chat topic is. There's a reason why they type in green and not white. They are not blues and they do not have the powers of blues to give promises of nerfs or buffs or game changes, but the things they say will still have a large effect on us 'white posters'.

At the moment the greens on this forums are not very being supportive (even on a morale level) or very good at the gig.

When a green shoots back at a player saying "You are coming across as whiny" to an unhappy white poster instead of a tactful "I understand the situation you are in BUT..." I find it not being very constructive and helpful. Instead if I'd say it's adding to the angry meter.

As I have said above, a simple "I understand, have faith ye peasants for the gods above hears and knows all" RIGHT OFF THE BAT would've quelled a lot of fires and probably got the angrier of folks less angry. Instead we got delayed responses, and then "proof plox", "not good enough" and "this thread is bad".

I'll like to think Blizz did not pick these guys/these guys weren't nominated to stomp over unhappy-concerned players and making them even more unhappy.
Edited by Zamboozle on 10/6/2012 12:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/05/2012 11:30 PMPosted by Nixx
The overwhelming majority of feedback during beta was regarding Solace being mandatory and then a lack of throughput compared to other healers in a raid setting, both of which were addressed by Blizzard directly and changed (Solace nerf, 10% mana cost reduction). Whether or not it was enough is kind of irrelevant. You weren't ignored. You didn't want THOSE changes, you wanted THESE changes, and it helps your argument better to pretend like you were ignored entirely, poor things.

It's absolutely true that we weren't ignored. Absolutely true. We got probably a dozen blue responses and several balance changes, not only to priests, but also to monks and paladins. I think priests got more GC interaction outside the theorycrafting thread (and possibly even inside it) than any other class.

Unfortunately, the changes weren't enough, and there wasn't really an opportunity for many of us to re-test the raids after the changes were made. The heroics were nerfed to the point that they gave absolutely no information, and as we've all seen, challenge modes don't actually require healers. So we were left hoping the changes were enough.

I was dubious enough to decide not to heal the launch on a priest. Others, understandably, were more optimistic. And, understandably, they are now disappointed - as are the many priests who didn't follow the beta discussions closely and weren't aware of the issue.

As someone who did feel very much like he was listened to in the beta forum, I'm not as angry as some of the others. I actually feel like if I were a better player and/or had done a better job arranging a regular beta raid group, I would probably have been able to continue to give feedback - and that part of the reason why there weren't any further changes was that the feedback tapered off. I don't entirely blame Blizzard.

That said, it's entirely understandable that many other people do, that they're upset, and that they want to voice that feeling. I don't think it's constructive to tell people who are upset that they should stop being upset. It tends to just escalate the tension.

I understand that you and Practical are trying to be the voices of reason and elevate the discussion. What I'm trying to tell you here is that the approach you're taking is not working and is not going to work. Some people simply don't have the time, the inclination, or the analytical skills to produce the sort of post you'd like to see. They're simply disappointed and want to voice how they feel about their class. And making them feel like you're condescending to them is simply making it worse.
Edited by Kaels on 10/6/2012 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/06/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Kaels

I understand that you and Practical are trying to be the voices of reason and elevate the discussion. What I'm trying to tell you here is that the approach you're taking is not working and is not going to work. Some people simply don't have the time, the inclination, or the analytical skills to produce the sort of post you'd like to see. They're simply disappointed and want to voice how they feel about their class. And making them feel like you're condescending to them is simply making it worse.

You deserve a homemade chocolate chip cookie the size of a teacup plate. The chewy and warm kind.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

^^ This is exactly what is going on.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
10/06/2012 12:01 AMPosted by Zamboozle
If a Green is 'allowed' to air 'any' opinion regardless of result, they would not be a MVP.

This is a common misunderstanding about MVPs. I can say pretty much whatever I feel like - and whatever I want so long as it follows forum rules. I've done it the whole time I've posted on here.

The approach that many people have taken with this whole situation isn't going to work, and it will result in thread moderation. It happened today, and it will happen again.

I'm telling you this works:

-Telling developers how you feel. What mechanics feel odd. What mechanics you like, what's fun, what isn't fun, what's cool to you and what you think could use some work on.
-Linking parses helps, but understand that parses are very subjective. They depend information of raid comp, player skill, and much more other things that we don't know just looking at numbers.
-Be constructive. Don't say things on a whim of some emotion just because you feel like it. Step back. Think objectively.

I don't think that's hard, nor do I feel like it requires much mental bandwidth to accomplish.

This isn't anyone's personal place to incessantly complain for the sake of complaining. Sorry.
Edited by Staccato on 10/6/2012 12:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
More light and less heat from the holy fires eh?
And could we please get something from the other side to acknowledge that many priests for many months (since beta) have been concerned?

Many priests seem to feel that greens have been dismissive, blues have been silent and Mr. Street's tweets have been far from encouraging.
Reply Quote
Thought I'd cross-post from that other thread, since I didn't get to post it:

Unelss you have the mentality of somebody who doesn't mind being beat in the face all the time, the obvious conclusion is that they dislike or don't care about healers in general, and really don't like priests in particular.

As a former tank, I can explain this a bit.

To put it simply, Blizzard has vastly different ideas than the playerbase on what constitutes 'broken' or in need of fixing. To us, it's when someone isn't performing up to snuff with what others are capable of, even when playing at their best. To Blizzard, it's when content actually cannot be completed with said class or so overwhelmingly favors one way of doing something that classes which favor other ways start to disappear.

As an example, DKs in most of Cata leading up to Dragon Soul. We've even still got the old thread for it up:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2549106475

Blood basically had to deal with stuff that other tanks didn't have to deal with, survivability that relied on not getting parried or dodged, were the most prone to getting burst down, had to game the rune system to function and didn't really have a whole lot going for them otherwise to make up for it.

Things didn't get fixed until Dragon Soul, really. But while it was risky to have a DK tank in certain scenarios, it was never really a matter of 'Don't bring a DK tank or you lose'. This is probably what we're seeing now. Priests might be in a bad spot, I'm not in a position to say yet, but we're still capable of completing the content that is currently available.

We might see some response next week once players get access to heroic modes. If Priests are as bad as people are making it out to be, we'll see them actually disappearing from raids until Blizzard does something.

I feel this is the main issue currently. It does not matter to blizzard if raid bosses are harder to kill with priests as long as it is possible. It does not mater that priest healing is sub-par as long as they are being carried by other healers and are also able to collect loot from the boss.

Perhaps next week if/when heroics are impossible or nearly impossible to complete using priests. The developers might actually do something. Till then if you want to be of use to your raid, spec shadow or level another healer.
Edited by Belak on 10/6/2012 12:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The thing is that after the very first few clears (which can always be dismissed due to small sample size) it's almost never impossible to clear a fight with a given spec. Once you get above the bare minimum gear level, it's physically possible, given enough coping techniques and skill on the part of the raid, to drag one suboptimal spec through.

Take a look at this graph:
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spine_of_Deathwing/25H/all/14/365/samples/#1c

Affliction and destro warlock representation is almost zero during the initial progression phase on Spine (before the the tendon health nerf), but it's not actually zero after the first couple of kills.

That doesn't mean that aff and destro weren't horribly, terribly, awfully bad on that fight. They were. Badbadbad. It was, nonetheless, possible to carry them if you were a non-world-first-but-still-excellent guild.

Similar guilds will be able to bring healing priests to heroics. Heroics will be killed with priest healers in the raid. Maybe not in the world first, or even the first 10, but they will. we'll never be able to point to a fight and say "2000 guilds have killed this boss and not one of them brought a priest." Which is basically what we'd need to say for it to be irrefutable proof of a problem. All we're ever going to have is statistical analyses: this is what we'd expect if the specs were balanced, and this different thing is what we actually see.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
While they are not blues, I"ll like to think that they are here to sooth flames, quell uproars, and basically bring everyone down from angry to calm and well and be overall constructive to whatever the chat topic is. There's a reason why they type in green and not white. They are not blues and they do not have the powers of blues to give promises of nerfs or buffs or game changes, but the things they say will still have a large effect on us 'white posters'.

^^

I have already reported posts and sent formal complaints to blizzard with exactly the same concerns about this MvP.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
nvm
Edited by Sensations on 10/6/2012 2:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
-Telling developers how you feel. What mechanics feel odd. What mechanics you like, what's fun, what isn't fun, what's cool to you and what you think could use some work on.
-Linking parses helps, but understand that parses are very subjective. They depend information of raid comp, player skill, and much more other things that we don't know just looking at numbers.
-Be constructive. Don't say things on a whim of some emotion just because you feel like it. Step back. Think objectively.

I'm basically linking our logs, a video of the kill, and my audible commentary on choices being made as we approach each encounter this tier here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794980143

I did a lot of sim math for the beta values at 90 and the general conclusions I could draw about the healing classes was:
-the healing of mushrooms needs to be brought in line with their opportunity cost
-the tweak to paladin mastery is probably overbuffing paladins in conjunction with the changes to beacon of light working with their aoe
-monks need to be debugged
-the baseline mastery of resto shamans should probably be brought down and resurgence needs to be looked at (which it was)
-they need to decide how they're going to handle absorbs and capping, as that's the only foreseeable reason to prevent spirit shell and every other absorb from the disc toolkit from scaling with healing % modifiers
-the holy chakra stance is engaging gameplay, but a prison for spell flexibility and hps balancing. I really contributed my thoughts on this as did most other regular priest posters.

Post x-pac release, my thoughts were somewhat validated. In response to the points that you listed, I feel that there is too much passive/smart healing going out in these raid encounters from the meter kings classes.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest

I have no idea how long have you been reading the forum, or even if you're aware of Blizzards design and implementing process - but what's going on now is pretty normal.

It has been about a week since the first raid came out. If you expect for Blizzard to drop their asses on a whistle just because of that data alone you're going to be sorely mistaken.

I'm going to have to play the devils advocate here... If a large number of players are claiming there is a problem the developers should look into it. I think the biggest source of the frustration is players don't feel this is being done. They feel there is a problem with their spec/specs and it's not performing on par with other healing specs. They believe they are providing suitable support for this claim. The perspective is the developers are coming back with "do our jobs for us and prove it" when these claims are made. This results in frustration and many players view it as antagonistic.

It's safe to assume the developers are in a much better position to diagnose and correct problems given they designed the mechanics of each spec to begin with. They probably have access to far more accurate data as well. The burden of proof should fall on the developers, not the players.

On the flip side, players aren't exactly helping the situation much. Some valid arguments have been presented but they are few and far between. Feedback should be constructive and detailed. "My spec is broken, Blizzard fix now" or "My spec has mana issues" isn't constructive. In fact it's counter-productive feedback. "My spec feels like it has these specific issues in these situations, with this gear/talent setup and this spell/CD usage" is constructive feedback. There is a whole lot of the former going on and very little of the latter. I think this is the point you're trying to convey in the text I quoted.

As I have said above, a simple "I understand, have faith ye peasants for the gods above hears and knows all" RIGHT OFF THE BAT would've quelled a lot of fires and probably got the angrier of folks less angry. Instead we got delayed responses, and then "proof plox", "not good enough" and "this thread is bad".

Really? Guess what. Mouth breathing, angry, idiots are going to !@#$% and complain no matter what is said. Yes, I am implying there are quite a handful of such people in this thread and many of the complaint threads. No I don't care if they're offended. To be honest I am thoroughly impressed the blues and greens don't blow a gasket all over these players on a regular basis.
Reply Quote
I spent a lot of time on my priest on beta, my priest has been my main since I started playing this game during BC. He has always healed.

His name is Alifer.

Alifer was my first copy over to the beta, and my first to 90. He went over to beta with about a 394 iLvl. Basically he was only missing the Dragon soul stacking spirit trinket. I still had my darkmoon card: tsunami, and jar of ancient remedies as my "longevity" trinkets.

I leveled him 98% through the dungeon system, only doing enough quests to open up the portal to Pandaria. I did this all as holy, because disc didn't feel right to me in cata, and it feels even less enjoyable when I tried it a few times at 90, too many short-term cooldowns that don't work well (or at all) together.

It started out as easy and fun, TJS was cool, as was Stormstout. Yahn-zhu was great with the beer walls, I'm kinda sad they aren't there anymore.

Then came mogu'shan vaults. Which was relatively easy unless people didn't want to do any CC on Gekkan, the four dogs before the last boss, or stood in all sorts of the multitude of bad on the last boss. On those boss fights, I had to start using solace judiciously, or mindbender-ing on cooldown.

Next up, Shado-pan. Nothing terrible until the last trash packs before Taran-zhu, unless the group executed them flawlessly (this is on regular), they oom'd me on him. After the 10% mana reduction, I wasn't oom, but in no way was I ready for the next pull. The worst part was, I had a friend make a holy pali, leveled it to 87, and then healed that instance (in a very sloppy pug from what I saw), and those pulls only took them to about 50% mana at worst. They were using selfless healer, and not Eternal Flame, nor were they abusing crusader strike for HoPo.

Got to 90. Got ever piece of the free-on-beta PvP gear, even gemmed and chanted it for straight spirit, or wore slightly lower pieces that had more spirit. Heroics were painful if the group wanted to go fast, or took some unavoidable damage. I was using my mana cd's on cooldown on trash and boss fight alike, powerdrinking, and making toons to sell/delete just for the gold to buy mana pots at the stupid ridiculous beta prices people wanted. I even tried using the higher ilvl int pieces with spirit reforged to them, with no better luck.

At this point I got a lot more active in the beta forums, where people like Kaels were attempting to do amazing things to help the priest class, and shamans too. This was also around the time that vodka released their healer ranking, putting priests dead last.

I tried to heal a few LFR runs, but even with very low (20% or less including EoL, Divine Hymn, and renew) overhealing, and using mana cd's on CD, etc. I was ooming faster and putting out less effective healing than any other healer in there by a large margin. I switched back to solace, thinking I could weave it in between casts and do better, and I'll admit, it was a little better, but not by enough to even remotely close that healing gap.

At that point, I basically said "screw this, I'm not going through yet another expansion of beeing a bottom-of-the barrel class" I decided to level a druid (this guy) because he could fill either of the roles we were having trouble with at the time for our roster (heals/dps offspec, or tank).

I'm still very passionate about my priest, I love healing on him, but I am more passionate about seeing progression.

I hope this kind of post with my "experiences" as a priest is what you were looking for.

-Alifer/Kodiak

edit: I feel this is a valid post due to the fact that nothing has really changed since then in beta. I just don't have the motivation to level my priest right now.
Edited by Kodiakarrest on 10/6/2012 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]