Sylvanas is a Blood Elf...

100 Human Rogue
Night elf, blood elf, high elf and Kebler elf. They're all the same just split factions with horde and alliance and neutral.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
They're really all trolls. Inc reference: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100819130318/wowwiki/images/f/f8/Trollstammbaum.jpg
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Death Knight
10/04/2012 10:47 AMPosted by Karob

If that's the case, then Blood Elves are Night Elves as well.

10/04/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Mórrígan
You must have been dropped as a child.

There you go. Instead of having a conversation about it, you throw out childish insults. Good for you. I'm proud to be the same species. (or are we? You may have renamed your species at some point changing it forever).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Sylvanas shares the same model as Ysera and Alexstraza, not the Blood Elf female model.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Technically they're all Zandalari Trolls. Real.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100819130318/wowwiki/images/f/f8/Trollstammbaum.jpg

So we're like, the most evolved race of all.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

There you go. Instead of having a conversation about it, you throw out childish insults. Good for you. I'm proud to be the same species. (or are we? You may have renamed your species at some point changing it forever).

I really don't understand why you're digging your heels in so much in this argument. There's nothing wrong with admitting you made a mistake. You look worse trying to argue your mistake rather than just admitting to it and moving on. But since you seem unable to do that, allow me to help.

All penguins are birds, but not all birds are penguins. Penguins are a subset of the larger domain "bird." Similarly, all Blood Elves are High Elves, but not all High Elves are Blood Elves. Blood Elves are a particular subset of the larger domain: "High Elf." Both Sylvanas and Kael'thas were High Elves. Sylvanas became a Banshee and Kael'thas became a Blood Elf when he tapped into fel energies to feed his magical needs. You cannot say that Kael'thas was a banshee (though we all know he became undead, bloody setbacks), nor can you say that Sylvanas was a Blood Elf. You are just wrong. Admit it and move on.

On topic: back in vanilla/TBC she used a Night Elf model and animation. Someone here mentioned that she used to do the NE bounce while standing idle. With WotLK, they revamped her model and gave her a unique variant of the same one used for Alexstrasza (though each have their own unique elements). So now she has a unique model different from Night Elves, High Elves, or Blood Elves. And your entire argument is personal preference. You like her model better than Blood Elves, i'm sure others disagree with you. But we can all agree that your initial statement was wrong and she was never a Blood Elf. :)
Edited by Cadavus on 10/4/2012 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Sylvanas is a High Elf who are prettier than any of you lowly blood elves!

And besides.....someone on the Horde side has to look beautiful :P
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Death Knight
10/04/2012 11:18 AMPosted by Galaire
And besides.....someone on the Horde side has to look beautiful :P

This.
Reply Quote
MAN! This thread turned into a total pissfest about high elves and blood elves. I'm pretty sure the only difference is that one has sparkly blue eyes and the other has sparkly green eyes. And I'm pretty sure the main reason Sylvanas is voluptuous and beautiful is because that's what sells as box art, not because the developers went into intricate detail about the anatomical differences between high elves and blood elves.

Come on, folks, let's be meta about this for a second
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Death Knight
10/04/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Galbatorrix
For shame! being out-hotted by a dead girl!

Dead chicks pwn.

Just saying.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
There was this one time she was a Night Elf.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Shaman
10/04/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Acetylcholin
There was this one time she was a Night Elf.

We don't talk about that time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
10/04/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Galbatorrix
l2lore pls

Where in lore does it say that High Elves are a different species of Elf than Blood Elves? Heck, it even calls them "High Elves" in the Blood Elf intro. Look at the link I posted earlier.

Either way, they need to use the Sylvanas model for all Blood Elf females when they redo the models. It looks tons better.

High elves reside in Theramore and Stormwind. They just have blue eyes.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
10/04/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Galbatorrix
Sylvanas is a High Elf. She was never a Blood Elf. She was killed by Prince Arthas and then raised as a Banshee. Why she takes on the female figure of a Quel'Thalas Elf is beyond me, the Night Elf figure was much more appealing.

So, the High Elves that survived after Arthas destroyed the Sunwell renamed themselves Blood Elves and there fore became an entirely different race. Got it. I hadn't realized it was that easy to accomplish such a task.

Elven 'race' is determined entirely by their magical diet. As they take in different magics, it changes them completely.

So, in the beginning you had the Highborne, who fed off arcane magic and some fel magic. Rebels overthrew them. This caused the race to splinter:

Night elves came from the rebels who fed on moon-magics from Elune and the World Tree of Nordrassil.
High elves went to the eastern kingdoms and fed off the energies of their Sunwell.
Naga kept nomming on that fel energy and switched to an old-one based diet later.

Their forms changed based on what magics they ate.

Sylvanus was a high elf, and she was killed as a high elf who fed off the Sunwell she died defending.

Soon after the Sunwell was destroyed, the race splintered again due to their need to take in magic. High elves maintained a diet of pure arcane energies, and the blood elves started taking in energy from two different sources--captive demons, and a captive naaru.

From there, the blood elves split into two groups... the ones that followed Kael into the outlands, and the ones that remained behind. The ones that followed Kael were maintained on a diet of nothing but fel energy, and the ones that remained behind were maintained on a mix of fel and Na'aru energies.

However, after seeing what happened to Kael's contingent, the blood elves that remained (as well as the Scryers who turned from Kael) moved back to a Sunwell diet--this time a Sunwell powered by Na'aru energy.

So no, Sylvanus was NEVER a blood elf, because she never fed on either fel NOR Na'aru energies, both of which are the defining characteristics of the blood elf race. That's why they have green eyes instead of blue eyes. Elves are what they eat.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Either way, they need to use the Sylvanas model for all Blood Elf females when they redo the models. It looks tons better.

I believe Sylvanus actually uses the female Night Elf model and animations.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/04/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Cadavus
Blood Elves ARE High Elves, but High Elves are NOT Blood Elves. They are not the same. Sylvanas was a High Elf and died before they became Blood Elves. Blood Elves can be considered High Elves that changed... but High Elves from before the Blood Elves are not Blood Elves. Yes it's purely a matter of syntax, but you're digging your heals in regarding a phrase in which you were wrong. She is not and never was a Blood Elf.

The way I understand the difference is that the remaining High Elves that didn't become Blood Elves didn't start using fel magic to feed their addiction; they found other ways of coping with it, or they just suffer through the pain. The main distinction is that Blood Elves took up feeding on demonic power while High Elves did not.

They're different, but the same.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/04/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Demonbrewer
I believe Sylvanus actually uses the female Night Elf model and animations.

Sounds like you've been living under a rock. That was her old model.

http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Sylvanas_model_comparition.jpg?c=1

Far right is the model she uses now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/04/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Adelaide
Sylvanas is a high elf, not a blood elf.

And to wit they are the same, the only difference is green eyes, and the belfs arcane addiction. But rem the high elves themselves left the night elves...via highborn.. when the nelfs outlawed arcane magic. Physically they are the same because well they are the same race. It was sylvanas that pushed for the horde to take in the belfs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]