Alani the Stormborn

90 Pandaren Hunter
How do I engage this rare? He's "shrouded" with some buff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Jeremy

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=64403/alani

Here ya go

To Remove the Protect Buff:
To remove the protective buff Nimbus Shroud from Alani, you need a Sky Crystal and it is created from combining 10x Skyshard. This is where things get tough though. If you have not noticed, Skyshard and Sky Crystal are BoP. AND... unfortunately... they are super rare drops from all MoP NPC's that are level 90. However, if you collect 10 of these crystal fragments, you can combine them into a Sky Crystal and fight this rare dragon spawn.

How to Collect Shards:
Option 1 -Level 90 creatures in MoP. They appear to have a much better drop chance from creatures in Vale of Eternal Blossoms, which makes sense if you listen to the backstory behind the rare spawn from Loh-Ki in the zone.
Option 2 - Daily quests that reward Treasures of the Vale have a chance to drop the shards as well. Check out the items page for drop chance % as more people do the dailys.
Fighting this Rare Spawn:
Blizzard seems to have been smart with this rare spawn. When you use your Sky Crystal on the dragon, you channel about 20% of the dragons health away and tag it for yourself. So the kill cant be ninja'ed from you. In addition, Its health is SUPER low compared to all the other MoP rares added. At level 90, you will only need mostly Heroic dungeon gear or the first tier of PVP gear to kill it without much problem. At level 90, this is easily done. Seems gathering the crystals is the only challenge in getting this rare spawn killed.

SO YOU HAVE A NEW SHINEY RARE MOUNT, NOW WHAT?

There are 3 (yes, THREE) reputation requirements to be able to learn and ride this mount:
Exalted with Order of the Cloud Serpent - This faction teaches you Cloud Serpent Riding and without it you can not mount your rare spawn mount.
Revered with Golden Lotus - This faction must be revered to unlock Reputaion number 3 of this list.
Exalted with The August Celestials - This faction must be exalted to learn your new rare spawn mount and not have it collecting dust in your bags.
Edited by Romire on 10/5/2012 11:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/05/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Jeremy

To remove the protective buff from Alani, you need a Sky Crystal and it is created from combining 10x Skyshard. They are super rare drops from all MoP NPC's that are level 90.

There's more information on this wowhead post.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=64403/alani#comments:id=1693575
Edited by Novalas on 10/5/2012 11:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Thank you, much appreciated!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
10/05/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Romire

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=64403/alani

Here ya go

To Remove the Protect Buff:
To remove the protective buff Nimbus Shroud from Alani, you need a Sky Crystal and it is created from combining 10x Skyshard. This is where things get tough though. If you have not noticed, Skyshard and Sky Crystal are BoP. AND... unfortunately... they are super rare drops from all MoP NPC's that are level 90. However, if you collect 10 of these crystal fragments, you can combine them into a Sky Crystal and fight this rare dragon spawn.

How to Collect Shards:
Option 1 -Level 90 creatures in MoP. They appear to have a much better drop chance from creatures in Vale of Eternal Blossoms, which makes sense if you listen to the backstory behind the rare spawn from Loh-Ki in the zone.
Option 2 - Daily quests that reward Treasures of the Vale have a chance to drop the shards as well. Check out the items page for drop chance % as more people do the dailys.
Fighting this Rare Spawn:
Blizzard seems to have been smart with this rare spawn. When you use your Sky Crystal on the dragon, you channel about 20% of the dragons health away and tag it for yourself. So the kill cant be ninja'ed from you. In addition, Its health is SUPER low compared to all the other MoP rares added. At level 90, you will only need mostly Heroic dungeon gear or the first tier of PVP gear to kill it without much problem. At level 90, this is easily done. Seems gathering the crystals is the only challenge in getting this rare spawn killed.

SO YOU HAVE A NEW SHINEY RARE MOUNT, NOW WHAT?

There are 3 (yes, THREE) reputation requirements to be able to learn and ride this mount:
Exalted with Order of the Cloud Serpent - This faction teaches you Cloud Serpent Riding and without it you can not mount your rare spawn mount.
Revered with Golden Lotus - This faction must be revered to unlock Reputaion number 3 of this list.
Exalted with The August Celestials - This faction must be exalted to learn your new rare spawn mount and not have it collecting dust in your bags.

Wow.

Mad respect to anyone who manages to go through all this to get this guy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have one Sky Crystal...only 9 more to go...QQ
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
I was just about to find this guy but after hearing about the sky shard stuff, it seems like it would take a while. PLUS this guy has no NPC ID as I've heard, so npcscan is out of the question there making it harder. However Alani is huge so it shouldn't be a huge problem but it will make your search for this rare beast harder without the npcscan.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I have 2 skyshards which dropped from random mobs. But the rep requirement is insane
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock

Wow.

Mad respect to anyone who manages to go through all this to get this guy.

It's the TLPD of the expansion.

Only except having 'time lost' due to having to spawn camp and arm-wrestle other players over it, you have 'time lost' due to needing a whole lot of rep and 10 rare drops.

At least you don't have to fight other people over the spawning though.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I'm glad they had something in there like this. Every other rarespawn in the game is just a matter of having a fella who tells his guild about it at the right time.

While we're discussing rare spawns, did anybody else die a little inside when they removed all blue drops from Kalimdor/Eastern lowbie rares?

I used to drool every time I saw a silver dragon. Now, it's like... meh. I don't care. Either they don't drop anything, or I can't kill it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm glad they had something in there like this. Every other rarespawn in the game is just a matter of having a fella who tells his guild about it at the right time.

While we're discussing rare spawns, did anybody else die a little inside when they removed all blue drops from Kalimdor/Eastern lowbie rares?

I used to drool every time I saw a silver dragon. Now, it's like... meh. I don't care. Either they don't drop anything, or I can't kill it.

I usually kill them anyway while leveling because they give exp equal to a quest
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]