An idea

90 Gnome Warlock
Hey.

This is just a simple suggestion dealing with the after effects of being removed from a group.

I understand the debuff, no problem... but when you run through the dungeon halfway...got half of the quests done...then say "Brb 2 mins" because life happens...

You come back to see your back in SW (or wherever you were when you queued).

Kind of frustrating and if your like me and hate seeing unfinished quests in your log... you have 1 of 2 choices.

1: Queue for random and hope you get the same dungeon. (but still having to go through it all again)
2: Queue specifically, but sacrifice the xp reward from randoms and have a longer queue time. (and of course...still having to go through all of it again.)

My suggestion is...maybe... when one is removed from a group...place them in a seperate instance with the same progression.

That way the group that removed them wont have to deal with them and the removed person doesnt have to start all over.They just wait a lil bit for the group to refill (some punishment at least but not so much as to get frustrated).

Everyones happy. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
too much work... you slack off thats your problem.. What you are s rewards bad players... Say a player is really really bad (dies often, stands in stuff) and gets kicked.. Hegets a free pass in the next dungeon when he shouldnt..
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/06/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Elantor
too much work... you slack off thats your problem.. What you are s rewards bad players... Say a player is really really bad (dies often, stands in stuff) and gets kicked.. Hegets a free pass in the next dungeon when he shouldnt..

Or maybe the player is new and is still trying to get used to the game... so that player has to suffer for the others impatience?

Whether or not you see someone as a 'bad' player is so dependent on yourself as a frame of reference that it isnt a reliable tool to judge anyone.

The idea I offered gives positive changes to both parties. The party who was too impatient to deal with the removed player gets to have a chance to get someone more well-tuned to the game...

While the removed player has a chance to get a group who is more tolerant of his mistakes and perhaps is willing to teach that player something.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

Or maybe the player is new and is still trying to get used to the game... so that player has to suffer for the others impatience?

well...yes, in a group activity the individual adapts to the group not the group to the individual.

It's been that way since cavemen were hunting mammoths.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Here I was thinking how well compromised my idea was to both sides...

Turns out people are more interested in that the removed are punished despite the fact that the goal of removing them was achieved.

These ideas of an unspoken society 'contract' upon entering is rediculous. Asking to wait 2mins because of things that happen spontaniously (such as phone calls, family needs etc) that cannot be predicted is selfish?

10/06/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Robokapp
...yes, in a group activity the individual adapts to the group not the group to the individual.

Adaptation would infer that their is a conduit for growth. If one is kicked the moment he does something wrong, what time was given to learn?

Anyway...its getting a bit off subject and a little too analytical.
Was a simple idea to increase convenience.

One could expand it and give the kickers a choice based on the reasoning on why they want to remove a player.

If a player was legitimately griefing...one could click...idk... "Vote to remove and return to realm"...something like that. In other words...its the conventional kick.

If someone went afk because something happened they cannot control or they disconnected and couldnt log on for an extended amount of time...they can click "Vote to remove to seperate instance".

Of course this discision would be put into the hands of the group...which runs the risk of a lack of curtousy which would defeat the purpose of this system but im going to assume that honor exists.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/06/2012 08:56 PMPosted by Ziyla
These ideas of an unspoken society 'contract' upon entering is rediculous. Asking to wait 2mins because of things that happen spontaniously (such as phone calls, family needs etc) that cannot be predicted is selfish?

If it's really 2 minutes, 99 times out of a 100 they'll wait. It's more likely your "2 minutes" turned into 10. Might not be, in your case, but that's what happens most of the time. The reason most people aren't patient, is that atleast half the time, the guy never comes back, and you just did 15minutes of the dungeon down a player.

ps:
as a sidenote, people are a lot more forgiving if you mention why you're going afk. "brb drink" and "brb fish on fire" get 2 very different responses. (both because it makes you more human, and it's just player psychology)

I'd also recomend if you get a phone call or something, to ignore it if you can. Obviously, if it's your boss, it can't. If it's your girlfriend calling to gossip, she can wait 10minutes.

If one is kicked the moment he does something wrong, what time was given to learn?

The time waiting in the queue for the next instance. One of the downsides of an anonymous, random tool, is no one is willing to wait to let you learn. they'll never see you again.

Of course this discision would be put into the hands of the group...which runs the risk of a lack of curtousy which would defeat the purpose of this system but im going to assume that honor exists.

The problem isn't that it's a bad idea, the problem is that there is only a finite amount of resources to develop features, and this happens so rarely it's not really worth it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I would agree it is surely an inconvenience if you get kicked and have to start over. But at the same time it is an inconvenience to make the group wait or to make us use our vote to kick you.

So I can't really have much sympathy when I either have to waste my time waiting for you to come back or up my kick timer by kicking you.

It is selfish to make people wait. How long is acceptable to wait? What is acceptable to wait on? Who gets to decide? When you just think that your 2 mins gone is no big deal but when everyone thinks that and people go afk several times and several people do it then a quick run adds up to taking a really long time.

Your idea to have different kick options would never work. Very few people would need that option overall, & most groups wouldn't be nice enough to care. Also people could way easily abuse it- oh I hate this moron group instead of leaving & waiting for a new one I will just say brb 2 mins my baby is crying and hope they feel sorry for me and give me a brand new group that is hopefully better.

It is not that big of an issue to just do the instance again. You will probably end up running that one instance a ton of times in the long run. That smidge of xp is just a drop in the bucket in the long run and is not game breaking or really even too noticeable to care about IMO. And I love to lvl and want the most from it. I already have 2 lvl 90s & 13 characters 85+ lol
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/06/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Arianity
people aren't patient

10/06/2012 09:32 PMPosted by Trusin
most groups wouldn't be nice enough to care

I suppose this is why it would never work. Oh well.

The time waiting in the queue for the next instance.

Generally people learn better through people that can share experiences and knowledge then having to pick it all up themselves.

Very few people would need that option overall

It is not that big of an issue to just do the instance again. You will probably end up running that one instance a ton of times in the long run. That smidge of xp is just a drop in the bucket in the long run and is not game breaking or really even too noticeable to care about IMO

The problem isn't that it's a bad idea, the problem is that there is only a finite amount of resources to develop features, and this happens so rarely it's not really worth it.

I get it and in hinesight... i knew there wasnt really any hope for this.
I guess this was more of a "Wouldnt it be nice" kind of thing. Appreciate the response.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I could see a great many bad scenarios

A griefer takes advantage of this, and continually gets groups they can troll.

an entire group is put late into an instance and all miss out on the beginning.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]