Do Death Knights use cloth?

90 Human Priest
I just had one roll need on the cloth helm from the 1st boss in the Gates instance for no reason other than douchebaggery. Then tells me "I'm just playin', I'll give it to you at the end of the run." (I left the group)

It's been a while since I played (I quit early in Cata and came back a month before Mists) but I REALLY thought the need/greed system would have had these issues fixed by now.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
it's a player issue not a tool issue.

he participated in the fight, he's as qualified to receive the loot as the other 4 members.

exactly what he's doing with it - not your problem.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Rogue
It's a tool issue. Dungeon Finder would not let a DK roll Need on a cloth item. Blizzard has decided a while back that players are not as qualified to roll need on items that aren't intended for them to use.

What's funny Robo, is even with all your experience, if you were in my PuG during BC and decided, as a Plate wearer, to roll need on a cloth item you would be kicked. I have never known the behavior you support to actually be supported by the playing community.
Edited by Psynister on 10/7/2012 1:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thanks Psynister... you summed up my point exactly.

I could care less about the drop... it will drop again. I made the post because I thought the system was designed to prevent players who obviously have no use for the item from rolling need.

I've only played on and off since November 2004 but even with the little WoW experience that I have I wouldn't think a DK in full PvP plate blues and epics would roll need on a cloth helm because he wanted to use it.

He shouldn't have even been allowed to roll. It's annoying to run an instance a half dozen times and then to see your item drop only to lose it this way.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I didn't say I support it, and I don't. I'm juuust saying the problem would stop being a problem if the players whould willingly roll appropriatelly.

If you need a tool to deal with it then you're supressing a problem that will always be there and will reveal itself with every opportunity.

when I started playing common practice on my realm was for everyone to pass then do a /roll, and talk among the group until they agreed. and it worked great, because as you say if someone made a mess he was blacklisted.

blizzard is trying to entrench people into going the right way because its the only way, yet every time they omit a detail...THIS happens. That's why I claim it's a player problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
And the player problem will continue to shows its ugly face as long as I am forced into doing random heroics with a dungeon finder tool.

I'm not grouping with guildmates I'm grouping with 4 random players from random servers who have no incentive to be "nice" because in the end I will probably never see them in another group.

Solution? Make each roll class specific.... as I thought it was but obviously I was wrong.

Does this mean if I want to ninja loot items from LFD I need to roll a plate wearer? That will broaden my options because then I would be able to roll need on every piece of gear correct?

If Blizzard wants me to run randoms with their LFD tool they should at least make it so the douchebaggery is limited to party chat... not ninja rolls on gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
no, solution is nuke xrealm from orbit, balance realm population and enforce realm communiy.

what you're talking about is another, better, faster, stronger bandaid.

LFD is the means through which the problem propagates. LFD is the solution to realm imbalance, and ninjaing is the side effect of LFD.

fix balance of population, LFD becomes redundant, remove LFD, ninjaing will be fixed in a matter of weeks.

if it takes a full overhaul and redistribution of playerbase, even forced redistribution...so be it. not talking about mothers separated from their chi...guildies separated from one another but rather pouring the bottom realms into the top ones and creating 20 high-pop relams out of the current 253 realms.
Edited by Robokapp on 10/7/2012 2:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If it is a lvl 90 instance a DK should not be able to roll Need on a cloth item. If this indeed happened then it's a bug and you should post it in bug forum.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/07/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Emmey
If it is a lvl 90 instance a DK should not be able to roll Need on a cloth item. If this indeed happened then it's a bug and you should post it in bug forum.

Will do that. Thanks. It was the Gates of the Setting Sun... the cloth helm from the 1st boss.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Rogue
Robo, I do understand where you are coming from when you say it's a player issue. And you are right. The problem is that for legal reasons Blizzard cannot idly stand by and let us police our own communities to the degree that would fix these issues. Naming & Shaming being an early and effective means to corral most of the community and has been tried and proven successful in the past, but it's simply not allowed. That being said, as we can neither physically nor mentally enforce good behavior within the community, we require tools to assist us to that end, ie. Need grayed out and +100 Need rolls, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/07/2012 03:04 AMPosted by Psynister
as we can neither physically nor mentally enforce good behavior within the community, we require tools to assist us to that end, ie. Need grayed out and +100 Need rolls, etc.
Edited by Tihra on 10/7/2012 3:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I never have understood why the archaic system of letting agi wearers roll on strength accessories/strength wearers rolling on agi accessories was still in place.
Reply Quote
50 Worgen Rogue
It's a tool issue. Dungeon Finder would not let a DK roll Need on a cloth item. Blizzard has decided a while back that players are not as qualified to roll need on items that aren't intended for them to use.

What's funny Robo, is even with all your experience, if you were in my PuG during BC and decided, as a Plate wearer, to roll need on a cloth item you would be kicked. I have never known the behavior you support to actually be supported by the playing community.

This. Kick the person if it bothers you. Until the system is fine-tuned to be perfect, you're always going to have people do this. It's even worse towards the beginning of expansions when everyone needs new gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

This. Kick the person if it bothers you. Until the system is fine-tuned to be perfect, you're always going to have people do this. It's even worse towards the beginning of expansions when everyone needs new gear.

The item dropped from the first boss and I didn't kick him... I left the group after he starting taunting me.

Everyone does need new gear at the beginning of an expansion... but a DK in plate doesn't need a cloth helm.
Reply Quote
50 Worgen Rogue
Of course he doesn't need it. You stated he was taunting you. Nothing more needs to be said because you just spotted a 12 year old. Kids are going to be kids.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/07/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Greyhide
Of course he doesn't need it. You stated he was taunting you. Nothing more needs to be said because you just spotted a 12 year old. Kids are going to be kids.

That is true. :-)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
At the same time, some people like to do "will trade at the end" moves. you should've stayed and see if he does or not.

"will trade at the end" happens to be something that - if he does rade and doesn't log with it - is good. I've seen this in LFR many times where a person who won an item decides who to give it to.

that is a small spark of "i'm aware you exist, i like what you showed us today, here's this". I support that.
Edited by Robokapp on 10/7/2012 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
At the same time, some people like to do "will trade at the end" moves. you should've stayed and see if he does or not.

"will trade at the end" happens to be something that - if he does rade and doesn't log with it - is good. I've seen this in LFR many times where a person who won an item decides who to give it to.

that is a small spark of "i'm aware you exist, i like what you showed us today, here's this". I support that.

I completely disagree, because this is allowing a player to behave poorly and exert a form of control over another player in an obnoxiously paternal way. He behaved badly, had no business need rolling on cloth. Period.

I think it would have been best if Tihra had made a complaint in party chat to induce the player into passing it over, and if s/he would not relinquish the item, then a vote to kick.

However, I do understand why Tihra decided to drop group, somedays I prefer to remove myself from what feels like a questionable group rather than 'stick it out' and hope it gets better.
Reply Quote
50 Worgen Rogue

Odds are, if he was taunting her, he wasn't going to do any kind of trading.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
It's more just the issue of a bug that sets the system to Group loot instead of NB4G.

And of course the anonymous random symptom that won't go away when there's no punishment for bad behavior.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]