Leveling a monk

87 Human Hunter
I decided to make a monk instead of a rogue took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to make. What is the best spec to level as and what boa weapons should I use?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Icy Veins has a good guide; I've been using it and liking the results.

http://www.icy-veins.com/monk-wow-leveling-guide
Reply Quote
14 Orc Hunter
Don't make a monk, worst class in the game.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
10/07/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Corten
Don't make a monk, worst class in the game.

Ignore this moron, worst poster on the forums.

Monks are really fun especially while leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Heh let all the QQing WW tell it its ONLY fun while leveling. HEH and so many people RaF'd to 90.. meh I love it tho and im leveling Brewmaster. Superfan got me back into tanking again.. cus Lawd knows i hate it for the longest
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
10/07/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Xiangshu
Heh let all the QQing WW tell it its ONLY fun while leveling. HEH and so many people RaF'd to 90.. meh I love it tho and im leveling Brewmaster. Superfan got me back into tanking again.. cus Lawd knows i hate it for the longest

No RAF, did it all on my own from 1-86.96 so far. Will be 87 really quick after work and being that tomorrow is a holiday hoping to hit 90 tomorrow. :D

Will stay WW because it's extremely fun and by leveling on my own the whole way I've learned how to play the class.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Agree, I have a few 85 characters including my main a Hunter but I am having so much fun with the Monk that it probably would make 90 first than any of my 85s
Edited by Chizhu on 10/12/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Apperently you can only get the leveling bonus so many times, at least per 10 levels, so don't waste it like I did. Stuck at 44 without the bonus right now.

Thanks for the link to the leveling guide, didn't think to look at Icy Veins.

CORRECTION: Leveling bonus is apparently a daily according to icy veins. We will find out tonight.
Edited by Jozie on 10/12/2012 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
I leveled from 1-55 so far as MW. Used all the cloth BoA gear + the staff and I haven't regretted it. While I was soloing I did perfectly fine and never noticed myself doing less damage than the other spec. In instances I pretty much serve as a 5th dps with how easy it is to heal. I've done instance grinding from 15-55 so far. Been very easy and well worth it. I'll get my second spec once I hit 80 and also work on my trade skills then.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
All of the specs solo fine, but I would stay away from Brew Master because of the low chi generation.

WW is a fast spec with good survivability.

I can not speak for MW.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
All of the specs solo fine, but I would stay away from Brew Master because of the low chi generation.

WW is a fast spec with good survivability.

I can not speak for MW.

That's funny. I found it to be quite the opposite. 1-60 WW was fantastic, but at that point, I personally had a few survivability issues which went away almost entirely upon switching to Brewmaster (Which I plan to take to 90).

You are right, Brewmasters do generate Chi a bit slower than WW. We can balance that out a little bit with Power Strikes, but I still wouldn't call our Chi generation slow.

Truthfully, I've had a much easier time managing Chi/Energy generation as a Brewmaster than I did as a WW. I think part of the problem stemmed from Windwalker generating so much Chi that I got careless when spening it, and I never really found a balance in the flow of the two resources.

To each his own, obviously, but I definitely like Brewmaster a lot.
Edited by Korelli on 10/12/2012 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/12/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Jozie
CORRECTION: Leveling bonus is apparently a daily according to icy veins. We will find out tonight.

It most definitely is. Even at 90, you can still do it and get 3000 mastery for 1 hour.

Hmm..I might have to do that right before raid times :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Doh, I didn't know it was still a daily at 90, that's pretty sweet.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Loving my monk now that she is higher. I got real bored only have 1 heal spell at first but now that I have a variety of them it kinda made me fall in love with the game again. Can't speak from higher experience with healing but I'm loving the leveling in MW spec.

Edit- Says I'm 44 but I'm actually 53 -.-
Edited by Catixi on 10/12/2012 2:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Going to pipe back into this necro'd thread now that I'm 90. Still loving the WW monk. My DPS is insane and the class is so much fun to play. Plus the 'extras' that we get with our talents and glyphs make it a very enjoyable class to play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]