Am I doing a bad performance?

100 Blood Elf Priest
So... I was doing Mogu'shan Vaults yesterday.

I was focusing on tank healing, doing 30k-45k hps and having moderate mana issues...

I known i'm not well geared, but it's the best i could get on the time.

The "problem" is there's a shaman doing 55k-80k hps. He is better geared than me, but the gap is really huge. It's only a gear issue? My hps is ok? I will improve my gear and enchants/gems real soon, but any tips and opinions would help.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Your numbers are clearly made up. Don't do that.

You don't have a Shaman pulling 80k HPS. Similarly, you probably weren't pulling 45k.

And even if you did, somehow, have a Shaman pulling anywhere near 80k HPS, it would only be logical that there's not much left for you to heal, and that your HPS would consequently be lower as a result of his/her stupendous performance.

If you want to make a point, or ask for help, bring real data.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I don't have how to prove it, but in the first fight, the average of this hps was 65k, and mine was 35k. My top was near 45k, but I went oom. He's top was 80k, but it ended in a wipe.

My add-on may be bugged (i use recount), but i'm sure it's not a lie.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/azralon/I%C3%ABmanj%C3%A1/advanced

This is his profile.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
What I'm guessing was all the AOE healing was keeping him around 30k and when the fight was NEARLY ended he has just popped everything (Ascendant form, Healing Tide Totem, Healing Rain and Chain heals) SOOO They aren't consistent, it would be the equivalent of a DPS popping everthing and then 15 seconds later dying, their DPS is the highest in the raid.

Basically healing at 80k HPS means you have 400% overhealing OR your raid is taking WAY too much damage from avoidable numbers and the healers are having to save them. Either case is bad.

What we're getting at Medic is anything beyond 30k is wasted healing or number inflation. Or a bugged meter.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Well, it was really strange. There's a holy paladin who did similar hps and healing done than me, but the shaman almost doubled it everytime.

Should i use WoL to have a better view of what really happens?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/09/2012 08:21 AMPosted by Medíc
Should i use WoL to have a better view of what really happens?

Yes.

And then, maybe you'll notice that 80k HPS for a shaman is nearly 20k HPS higher than the highest Shaman parse yet.

Even averaging 65k HPS would put him as the #1 Resto Shaman on the fight. Which I find incredibly unlikely, judging by your guild's progression.

This is why it's so painfully obvious you're making up numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Spiking like that isn't unusual...sustained is, our resto shaman often "roflstomps" me when he pops his CDs during high damage phases too.

Yes, run WoL. Recount is very bare bones and doesn't provide the type of breakdown of what you may or may not be doing.

Also, can I ask your reasoning for reforging out of mastery to crit for disc (or even holy for that matter)? Especially at this point, you should be putting a lot more value into mastery as it effects both DA, SS, and PW:S without worrying about RNG or burning through extra mana.
Edited by Maharei on 10/9/2012 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I got 65k hps last nite healing w/ a priest and druid. The fight didnt last long obviously. If you're finding that people are taking a TON of dmg during that fight then make your tanks learn how to communicate and taunt the right add. On average me and the druid were doing 42-45k hps and the priest was about 20-25% behind us. Also, priests are pretty broken atm, so until they fix priest issues or balance the healing more(i.e. monks destroying everyone), then I'd say don't worry about it too much.

As a side note, if you're three healing this and falling behind in heals that much then switch to shadow to help the dps, not being competitive at heals starts to become more of a liability than a buffer sometimes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
10/09/2012 08:36 AMPosted by Maharei
Also, can I ask your reasoning for reforging out of mastery to crit for disc (or even holy for that matter)?

It may be a silly reason, but when I did/do 5 man, I noticed that my crits were very important to keep the tank alive. So, I thought it would be important for raiding... Can you tell me more about mastery in this patch, and why should I focus on it? PW:S seens a lot weaker than GH.

I also want to thanks to all who responded to this thread. I will collect some logs and post it tomorrow.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The problem with crit vs mastery is that it’s not as dependable and mastery ties into 3 staple spells in our arsenal. I’m not going to advocate PW:S spamming, that’s long gone…but you’ll be using it on the tanks and most likely a few dps taking extra amounts of damage (on Gara’jal for example, I can typically sustain always shielding those with voodoo and casting binding heal). You will also be getting quite a bit of use from PoH/DA and (hopefully) spirit shell.

Not that crit is horrible for disc, but you can’t be counting on crits going through to keep people alive. That probably means the tank isn’t doing his job or you’re not (in 5 man pugs, I’m seeing a lot of poor tanks lately). Also, if you’re OSing holy going the mastery route is going to benefit you more than crit will if you happen to switch specs between boss attempts as echo of light fairs pretty well during progression.

Best of luck, disc can be very daunting at the moment.
Edited by Maharei on 10/9/2012 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
So... I was doing Mogu'shan Vaults yesterday.

I was focusing on tank healing, doing 30k-45k hps and having moderate mana issues...

I known i'm not well geared, but it's the best i could get on the time.

The "problem" is there's a shaman doing 55k-80k hps. He is better geared than me, but the gap is really huge. It's only a gear issue? My hps is ok? I will improve my gear and enchants/gems real soon, but any tips and opinions would help.

Thanks.

Instead of comparing apples to oranges you should be looking up your class' logs from WOL (Sorry priests I know the pain atm but for the sake of this argument) and seeing how to improving your personal performance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What you really want to look at is the overhealling tab of recount. If this shaman really was pulling 80k hps (which I find unlikely though he could still be pushing high numbers with all his cooldowns to empty his mana bar) was he running over 40% overheal? When you start knocking over bosses and feel comfortable about a clean kill and find yourself at around 15% overheal or less then you can pat yourself on the back. Druids and Monks have a much harder time keeping their overheal low compared to other classes but it is something quite achievable on pally, priest shaman
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]