Why is my healing not getting any stronger?

86 Pandaren Monk
HSG
Ever since level 11 (when I chose my faction) My heals haven't gotten any stronger. They've stayed at a static 147 normal heal. Despite my stats going up.

Is my gear wrong?

Or is the healing broken?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Are we talking Soothing Mist heals? They should be going up. You're sure you're in Serpent stance, right?
Edited by Daerius on 10/9/2012 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Pandaren Monk
HSG
Yes, talking about soothing mists (at my level it's the onyl heal I have access to until 32 +)

and yes, that stance is required to cast it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
The thing is, you have an heirloom weapon on.

Heirloom weapons are one of the few weapons that are itemized for casters correctly at low levels (meaning they sacrifice dps for spellpower) which has the function of giving you a relatively large chunk of spellpower.

This has the effect of making the intellect on your gear's minor changes to seem... well... minor in comparison.

In otherwords, your heal is already been boosted by raw spellpower that small additions of sp as you level aren't noticeable.

On the other hand, your soothing mists is op and damage is so little at your level this isn't a problem, and won't be until much later on. Of course, by then, all your stats will be much larger so you'll be okay.
Edited by Disgruntler on 10/9/2012 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
The thing is, you have an heirloom weapon on.

Heirloom weapons are one of the few weapons that are itemized for casters correctly at low levels (meaning they sacrifice dps for spellpower) which has the function of giving you a relatively large chunk of spellpower.

This has the effect of making the intellect on your gear's minor changes to seem... well... minor in comparison.

In otherwords, your heal is already been boosted by raw spellpower that small additions of sp as you level aren't noticeable.

Yes, but heirloom gear scales with level. The effective itemlevel, and therefore the quantity of spellpower on it, goes up at every level, so Soothing Mist should be seeing noticeable increases in potency as the OP levels.

For example, just using the mace, it has 21 SP on it at level 11, and 35 at level 23. That additional 14 SP should add 28 additional healing per tick to Soothing. The base healing value should be scaling as well, and the OP has full heirloom gear on, so it should be scaling far faster than even that.
Edited by Daerius on 10/9/2012 12:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Forgive my ignorance but doesn't spellpower scale? As you get higher level you have to get a larger amount of it to get the same effect, yes? This would cause the staff to scale with his level to the point where it would be holding the same effective spellpower.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
10/09/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Solonys
Forgive my ignorance but doesn't spellpower scale? As you get higher level you have to get a larger amount of it to get the same effect, yes? This would cause the staff to scale with his level to the point where it would be holding the same effective spellpower.

Attack power and spell power don't decay like combat ratings do. Between base value increases and spell power increases from leveling, spells' individual damage and healing should always be going up. (It may not go up very much, but it should still increase.)

That said, at very low levels the spells' spell power coefficients may be small enough that increases in spell power on a level-by-level basis may not be enough to affect some spells.
Reply Quote
86 Pandaren Monk
HSG
Was at work all day but been reading some of the comments here.

The overall point (and question) is that my heals are literally not gaining power.

Ever since lvl 11 (which is the level i got to finally choose my faction and send the boa) my Soothing Mists had healed for exactly 147. No higher, no lower.

And While I realize compared to a non BoA player, this may be OP.

I'm intending to level ALMOST exclusively through BG's, and as it stands if my healing doesn't get stronger as I level up my ability to survive (and heal my team/FC) will become moot, when a priest, or druid can pop a non-channeled HoT and keep the FC alive by them-self, while my heal will just delay the inevitable by a few seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
10/09/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Daerius
Yes, but heirloom gear scales with level. The effective itemlevel, and therefore the quantity of spellpower on it, goes up at every level, so Soothing Mist should be seeing noticeable increases in potency as the OP levels.

The point is at low levels it's not an appreciable gain... generally one or two intellect here and there.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
That said, at very low levels the spells' spell power coefficients may be small enough that increases in spell power on a level-by-level basis may not be enough to affect some spells.

Coefficients are static as well. The real key, as Disgruntler points out, is that the magnitude of the change, in absolute terms, is much smaller at lower levels. For example, the difference in spell power between a level 11 heirloom and a level 23 heirloom is 14 SP. The difference between a level 85 heroics weapon and a level 90 heroics weapon is 3419 SP.

That said, the combination of the scaling of at least the SP on the heirloom weapon and the base healing value changing should have made at least a visible change in healing value. If your Soothing really is healing for the exact same per tick as is was at 11, something is wrong. If it's simply healing for roughly the same amount, that's not necessarily a bug or unintended issue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]