Stone guard of Mogu'Shan Vaults

90 Worgen Druid
I feel it may be a WEE bit too high for entry level first raid boss? I did enjoy the encounter overall (brb multi-dot, starfall) and we found it best to not even bother breaking chains, especially if it was 2 ranged chained together. Not sure what the changes are from normal to heroic but unless they're Morchok-esque this seems like it'll be a challenging one.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
35% DS players walking into Stoneguards day 1, asking other player's opinions on how they feel about the tuning.

Fixed it for you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
10/02/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Bazookajoe
I do not diagree at all. For my raid group which is a solid one, we had to pug a tank and healer, due to 2 of our members not being ready. Which hurt us. I know for a fact the tanks seemed very confused on when to taunt off and how to taunt. I do not know how else to explain it, but it really seemed like there was a tremendous issue with taunts, working clunky. Also the raid damage outgoing was insane. We had healers going oom at 75% health left on the boss. Any tips?

Most the learning curve is definitely on the tanks, I got to run as the 3rd tank (with no tank gear~) and it definitely took a couple pulls to get the rhythm right.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
10/02/2012 09:43 PMPosted by Asinine
I feel it may be a WEE bit too high for entry level first raid boss? I did enjoy the encounter overall (brb multi-dot, starfall) and we found it best to not even bother breaking chains, especially if it was 2 ranged chained together. Not sure what the changes are from normal to heroic but unless they're Morchok-esque this seems like it'll be a challenging one.

It's people simply not understanding mechanics. The fight is so easily tuned, it will just require people to know what to do. Once people know the mechanics(Mainly tanks) it will be easily puggable, it's just a learning process.

We 3 healed it and in the end all healers were full mana(Could've 2 healed but were testing heroic strats). Just need to learn the mechanics :).
Reply Quote
29 Orc Shaman
Just a question for the people who did beat it. Did beating it mean not having 2 overloads within 5 sec of each other happen. Because my raid wiped every time when 2 would go off roughly around the same time. It was too much to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/02/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Dirtyßurger
Did beating it mean not having 2 overloads within 5 sec of each other happen

You're doing it wrong if that is happening.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Just a question for the people who did beat it. Did beating it mean not having 2 overloads within 5 sec of each other happen. Because my raid wiped every time when 2 would go off roughly around the same time. It was too much to heal.

You can make it so you only take 10% of the damage of overloads, our raid only had 1 full overload throughout the whole encounter(Was our mistake). I personally don't know the tank mechanics, but I'm sure some people here can help hopefully ;).
Edited by Sensations on 10/2/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Orc Shaman
Did beating it mean not having 2 overloads within 5 sec of each other happen

You're doing it wrong if that is happening.

Hmmm, so at what % do you do the initial taunt. we tried for 50%. Then once the next guardian started to petrify, the difference would be one at 10%, one at 60%, and one at 50%, as the fight went on, the gaps easily closed. After about 5 minutes, we had the boss at 30% and the energy bars got too close together.
Edited by Dirtyßurger on 10/2/2012 9:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Orc Shaman

You can make it so you only take 10% of the damage of overloads, our raid only had 1 full overload throughout the whole encounter(Was our mistake). I personally don't know the tank mechanics, but I'm sure some people here can help hopefully ;).

Oh really, this never happened. Also I was the one tanking, and the one calling out the swaps when initially someone was going to tell me what to pull when. I'm definitely missing something.
Edited by Dirtyßurger on 10/2/2012 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
These guys feel completely off the hook. We all have entirely heroic gear fully enchanted and gemmed with everything available.

We are on track to take *80 million* damage over the fight. That is not stupid avoidable stuff like pools. That is 45% rend flesh and 45% jade shards. Our healers are doing almost combined 200k hps over the whole fight, and we cannot keep up. Overloads aren't killing us. Chains aren't killing us. Pools aren't killing us. 90% of our damage taken is those 2 sources.

We'll get it eventually but man it's like getting your face kicked in over and over. I want to see a a successful parse.

EDIT: So we got him after a few more. Stats:
6:11 duration
51,688,065 dmg taken
Rend flesh did 11,597,080 on druid tank
Rend flesh did 7,990,965 on warrior tank
Jade shards did right around 1.7m on everyone for about 17m total
374,162 combined dps
161,357 combined hps
Prot warrior
Guardian Druid
Resto Druid
Resto Sham
Holy Priest (switched from disc)
Combat Rogue
Demo Lock
Fire Mage
Arms Warrior
BM hunter

Feng was a ridiculous faceroll. Council feels way overtuned compared to him unless he's really supposed to be another Vaelstrasz. I really want to know if other people's numbers are comparable because WoL's parser is pretty broken right now.
Edited by Kharnhe on 10/2/2012 11:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
From my experience tonight, if I could sum up the fights that we did:
Stone Guard: Have tanks that know how to taunt, and dps/heals who don't freak out over a simple chain mechanic.
If need be, have a dps chill out and call taunts/events in the fight as they come. It's not a DPS-intensive fight. We had our rogue call most of the taunts until the end when the tanks got the hang of it.

2nd boss (the weapon guy): Come up with a strategy and cooldown rotation that works best for your group. We found it best to use the barriers on "even" AoE effects, meaning the 2/4/6 etc. of the earthquake, fire wave, what have you. On the last phase, we stacked loosely around the center and then stacked tight for fast AoE heals when the boss cast the AoE spell. We did lose a couple of people due to fails with the individual AoE effect but we still managed to get him down.

Gara'jal: If you're on 10-man... 2-heal, 2-heal, 2-heal.. it may get scary but it's the only way to beat the enrage at this time unless your dps is insane in the membrane. Have a raid group that can make snap decisions with voodoo dolls & totems.

Spirit Kings: ..... don't try to 9-man like we did, unfortunately one of our raid members had an early exam and had to drop group but we got the last boss to sub-30% before hitting enrage. The mechanics are stupid easy though, it should be a gimme for any raid group.

And another thing about stone guard... do keep in mind that it's the first real raid boss after dealing with nerfed content for the past, 11 months
. For some, it will be a fairly nasty wake-up call.

But don't forget to have fun with it, it's a beautiful dungeon with very fun bosses and trash.

10/10 Blizzard if anybody is reading this. Doubt it though since we're forever alone here in the D&R&S forums.
Edited by Desiration on 10/2/2012 9:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Did they up the 10man health from 40 million to 130 million?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/02/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Kharnhe
I want to see a a successful parse.

Unfortunately our GM was having lag issues the whole night so for some odd reason he didn't parse any of the kills, or our spirit-kings attempt which was a near 1-shot... but we do have the wipes recorded so here you go.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jy1w8d4rbyjr1dx3/

The fight was fairly hectic until something clicked in the raid group and then it came easily.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
D&R&S forums.

It will always be R&D in my heart.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It was fine once our tanks figured out the tank rotation and people didn't die to chains. We progressed steadily on Feng, killed Garalon after like 3 attempts (first time was like wtf is going on, second time we hit the enrage with 3 healers so we went with 2 and 1 shot him), and then we 3 shot the ghost kings.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/02/2012 09:57 PMPosted by Lyrica
Did they up the 10man health from 40 million to 130 million?

yes. but then also made it cumulative so the encounter only gained 8% hp.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/02/2012 09:57 PMPosted by Desiration
Stone Guard: Have tanks that know how to taunt, and dps/heals who don't freak out over a simple chain mechanic.

We dealt with the chain by just stacking on his !@# and moving out of pools.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight

No overloads will happen besides the empowered ones (which do 90% reduced damage)

Our first taunts are around 30 energy, and we started being careful if any got above 60
Edited by Postonforums on 10/2/2012 10:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Seemed fine. Once our tanks stopped pretending they'd been dropped on their heads as children it died pretty quick.

Probably won't be puggable any time soon but for organized guilds I don't see the problem.

This was our experience as well.

3 hours of tanks just not understanding the concept... I offered to level a prot paladin at one point as it's really not complicated and just a tank idiot check.

Ended up 4-healing it because tanks continued to be special. Expect them to remember it's not 35% DS next time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]