Stone guard of Mogu'Shan Vaults

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Sadly we all know blizzard will nerf the content probably around the time they release the next raid instance, and this trend will continue, let the more "devoted" raiders fight for world firsts and once the content has been cleared, open the door for the "less capable" to clear it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Really? My guild 2 shot it last night. First pull was only a wipe because a tank died on a pull because one of our healers wasn't ready, and even then we got it to 60%. 2nd pull was an easy kill.

None of us have any beta experience.
Reply Quote
96 Human Paladin
10/06/2012 07:32 AMPosted by Salloreon
Sadly we all know blizzard will nerf the content probably around the time they release the next raid instance

No, they learned with T11 that doesn't really work. Progressive nerfs will be occurring long before then.
Reply Quote
probably about 45 days in
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
This fight is overtuned, please fix this ASAP!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
For our raid this encounter is incredibly discouraging, we arguably had the easiest combination on Sunday with Cobalt, Amethyst and Jade. Took us quite a bit of time to get the tank swapping Guardians down (roughly 20 wipes). Our kill however was incredibly smooth, not a single Overload went through that wasn't from the petrifying Guardian. There were no large health spikes to the raid as a whole. Due to how smoothly our kill went on Sunday we assumed we'd have no issues tonight.

Our combination tonight was Cobalt, Amethyst and Jasper and it completely through us for a loop. Proceeded to wipe for two hours never getting collective health below 50%. Our composition changed slightly 2 of our raiders had never seen the fight on normal (1 healer and 1 dps). We ran 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 dps (3 melee and 2 ranged). Our two largest issues were chaining and far too many non petrifying overloads going through.

We noticed that melee never seemed to be chained to one another it was always a melee chained to ranged or a healer. Was this simply RNG or is this intended? I'm assuming it's intended and the mechanic was designed so that the ranged/healer can get the 15 yard distance while Jasper is petrifying. We had far too many incidents of chaining taking place between players farther than 15 yards apart, simply put this is a HUGE problem. Our group was too loosely spread and we are going to have to correct this next time with "/range 15" for everyone save the OT. On several occasions I stopped dps to ghost wolf out to a healer/ranged I was chained to, and often I'd have to coax this player back into melee range so I could continue to dps. On one occasion during a Jasper petrify the ranged I was attached to was boxxed in around the two Guardians, and I was forced to go to range and break chains resulting in over 15 secs of very, very poor dps. Are we overemphasizing breaking chains during a Jasper petrification?

Our second major issue was another big one that shouldn't be occuring and that is Overloads from non petrifying Guardians. How are other raids calling out the switches? Should we have a hardfast rule that the Guardian with the highest energy that is not petrifying always be the loan guardian being tanked by the OT? In that case after a petrifying overload and say the offtanks guardian becomes the one casting petrify, should the offtank taunt the guardian that just overloaded and the group switch to that side? We desperately need some simple rules, too often we are having non petrifying guardians crossing one another with high energy bars.

I noticed several times we'll be having two guardians with over 80% energy. We actually had two non petrifying guardians Overload within 6 seconds of one another (this is with both tanks still up). As smooth as our kill was on Sunday, we seemed to have forgotten how to manage this. Personally I feel the tank handling the loan Guardian should be the one calling out the taunts, there is very little happening on that side.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The first two fights aren't massive gear checks - they're all about execution from the players. Unless all of your group members are running with very low iLVL gear, gear isn't too much of an issue and there is a lot of wiggle room.

If you're still wiping on the fight, then you guys need to fix your strategy and ensure all your members have at minimum the cheaper enchants, gems, flasks, and food.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
No, they learned with T11 that doesn't really work. Progressive nerfs will be occurring long before then.

Tier 13, they learned not to nerf it over christmas
Reply Quote
18 Dwarf Hunter
typical blizzard mess up tuning this boss as the FIRST raid entrance boss

just look at the public participation attempt # vs beating this boss #

the nerf WILL come , guaranteed
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
not gonna lie man, im raiding with some reasonably capable raiders, not great, but ok.
And we've wiped 67 times for 1 kill of this boss.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
5 days away from Heart of Fear/Terrace going live. From beta experience, I just know the forums are going to be filled with threads like this again.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
10/25/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Advo
I just know the forums are going to be filled with threads like this again.

I'm waiting for the obligatory, "omg we wiped to Tsu'long enrage and he's still on 100% health pls nerf" thread myself when people reach TOES LFR, I didn't really get to do any Heart of fear on beta.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Tanks unable to taunt properly =/= over tuned.
Standing in bad stuff and dying =/= over tuned.

For jasper chains, stop trying to break them. Just stack. If a ranged gets connected to a melee, than the ranged moves into melee range. Pop cobalt mines when cobalt is petrifying. Don't stand in pools. Heal through the trivial damage of jade shards. It's no Morchock, but it really isn't that hard.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
This weeks combo is probably the worst. Pools, chains and mines. Mines are trivial...until they lock someone in a pool while being chained. :/

Chained people must be aware of their partner. Dispel mine roots only if there's a pool under that players feet. Otherwise people should keep their eyes on their feet, always LOL. It can be a little annoying threading through pools and mines but anyone can explode the mines if everyone pays attention to their chained partner. Don't run off and leave your chained buddy while they're stuck in a mine root!

ETA -- ranged/heals begin fight in the middle but as chains go out, run in to melee partner. Should never be the other way around. It's ranged/heals responsibility to get in to their partner.
Edited by Rainstorms on 10/26/2012 3:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
My group isn't great by any means. We walked into DS day one and one shot Morchok. The next week we got Yorsaj and Zon Ozz down if I recall correctly. Once that group reformed for MoP we wiped about 5 times on it. Some of us were in a different group and wiped much more the previous weekends before our old DS group reformed though.

We wiped about 25 times on Feng (before finally getting him down) and another 25 times on the spirit guy. The issues this time around seem like dps issues.

That could be because we had less time to get used to class changes and perhaps worse gear (as an example my ilvl is 10 to 15 levels higher than 2 or 3 of our dps). Overall though I'm finding MV about the same as, if not maybe just a tad harder than pre nerf DS. However, if all 6 of our dps had my ilvl I think we'd be more successful.
Edited by Sarvan on 10/26/2012 8:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Lex
We just downed The Stone Guard as a guild today with the Cobalt, Jasper, and Amythest combo. Our set up was 2 tanks 3 heals 5 dps.

At first we tried to do it the typical way of taunting off to avoid bad overloads. We did this for the first 30 or so wipes.

Then we had the tanks pull all three of them together after staggering one of the guardians who wasn't petrifying away for about 50 energy give or take 5 energy. So 2 of them were at 50 energy and 1 of those 2 was petrifying. This splits it up so that you will always have 1 bad overload every 50 energy (don't know how many seconds that translates into), but that gave us healers enough time to keep everyone high enough for the next overload. We also had the tanks move in a big square around the room to avoid things on the ground.

As a result everyone was doing alot more DPS especially the tanks, who were doing 70k+. It was very healing intensive too so dont attempt this strategy unless your healers can handle bad overloads every 50 energy. Positioning for the raid was easier aswell since no one was having to go back and forth between 2 different spots. After 4 attempts on this strategy on the 5th try we downed them in 5:50 mins. Hope this helps, just an alternate strategy if it hasn't already been posted.
Edited by Deathmarcus on 10/28/2012 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Then we had the tanks pull all three of them together after staggering one of the guardians who wasn't petrifying away for about 50 energy give or take 5 energy. So 2 of them were at 50 energy and 1 of those 2 was petrifying. This splits it up so that you will always have 1 bad overload every 50 energy (don't know how many seconds that translates into), but that gave us healers enough time to keep everyone high enough for the next overload. We also had the tanks move in a big square around the room to avoid things on the ground.

The one who's desynced gets chosen to Petrify.

Enjoy.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I went in and tried winging this without a plan beforehand. Didn't work too well. I've been racking my brain trying to work out a way to do this as simply as possible (Deathmarcus's idea doesn't sound very good).

I came up with idea. Tank which is tanking two dogs notices when non-petrifying one reaches about 60 energy and calls out for other tank to taunt. Other tank taunts over the petrifying one, dps follow. Other tank is now tanking two.

Obviously it gets more complicated after the petrifying one blows up and a new dog starts petrifying. I'll have to give it some more thought. But tanks need simple rules to follow, simple as possible, otherwise hesitation, mistakes and sad wipes follow.
Edited by Murdina on 10/28/2012 3:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/28/2012 03:16 AMPosted by Murdina
Obviously it gets more complicated after the petrifying one blows up and a new dog starts petrifying. I'll have to give it some more thought. But tanks need simple rules to follow, simple as possible, otherwise hesitation, mistakes and sad wipes follow.

the swap out at 50/60 works, when the petrify happens, you taunt the one that didnt blow up out IF the outside one get's petrified.

It will always be 1 of 2 choices, swap with the other tank, or keep it.

It gets less complicated, always keep the freshly blown up add with the one that petrifies next.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]