Getting out dps'd by a lvl 88 druid.

10 Draenei Hunter
Im affliction, Im doing all my rotations correctly and all the time now I get out dps'd someone lower than me, today I went to help a friend in randoms, and again I got outdpsd by a druid level 88 and this was not on aoe trash, this was on the single target mobs or boss. Im in heroic/blue gear and 1 epic boots with enchants, my hit is good, my haste/mastery. Why does this happen? The strange thing is, when I do sha of anger for example, iam like the 3rd or 4th place on dps chart, but take away those buffs and put me in a low level dungeon I get outdps'd by a lvl 88 in greens.

Also every week I do BT clear on my own, and the first boss you would think with lvl 90 gear I would be able to kill it a little bit faster, but it takes the same amount of time to kill them as I would when I was lvl 85. My shadowpriest is more impressive than my affliction lock and that's a class that can go heals...

Should I just switch specs all together even though I love affliction? Maybe iam doing something wrong? Im pretty sure iam not, I followed everything, read noxxic and icy veins, read forums on mmo champion on rotations, I have ForteXorcist installed and I keep an eye on my dots, etc, I just don't understand man maybe one of you fellow locks can help me.
Edited by Beast on 10/2/2012 9:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
If you're after information about why your dps is poor you should be posting on your lock so people can see how you're specced. It's a bit hard to offer advice about your warlock when posting on your alt hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
I've noticed, as affliction, you just can't judge its performance in these dungeons. Things die to fast.....remember, a good chunk of your total dmg comes from below 20%, that's what 10sec max in a dungeon?

I can go destro, save up 4 embers, DS start of fight, cast 4 chaos bolts and finish with 80k dps because the fight lasts 2 minutes.....

If your pulling 40 to 50k as aff in dungeons then your good, 30 to 40k is fine though. Also, don't forget scaling, that druid has better crit/haste than you at 88 which will drop like a rock at 90.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ok
Edited by Puzazu on 10/3/2012 1:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I've noticed, as affliction, you just can't judge its performance in these dungeons. Things die to fast.....remember, a good chunk of your total dmg comes from below 20%, that's what 10sec max in a dungeon?

I can go destro, save up 4 embers, DS start of fight, cast 4 chaos bolts and finish with 80k dps because the fight lasts 2 minutes.....

If your pulling 40 to 50k as aff in dungeons then your good, 30 to 40k is fine though. Also, don't forget scaling, that druid has better crit/haste than you at 88 which will drop like a rock at 90.

Really? That makes me feel a lot better at least, I was having similar issues as the OP as affliction in dungeons but had no idea what I was doing wrong. I make sure to refresh my dots when they have less than half the duration left, use cooldowns, do execute etc.

Maybe I'll just go back to demo for dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

Really? That makes me feel a lot better at least, I was having similar issues as the OP as affliction in dungeons but had no idea what I was doing wrong. I make sure to refresh my dots when they have less than half the duration left, use cooldowns, do execute etc.

Maybe I'll just go back to demo for dungeons.

Ya, demo rocks for dungeons just because they're so wotlk lolaoefest and you can basically start your meta burn at 30% or so. I like affliction also, it's always been my favorite (destro still leaves a bad taste since BC), but demo just seems to be better because you can burst pretty much on demand.

Quick Edit: There is one fight where I prefer aff and that's the Armsmaster in SH, channeling just owns mobs that run around a room!
Edited by Dredllox on 10/2/2012 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
What I have noticed is you have to work really hard to get high dps as a affliction warlock.

You kinda have to plan a few things out.

1) are these mobs gonna all die fast?
2) how many mobs are there to fight?
3) can I "snipe" during this fight on the adds to get all my soul shards back?

These are the things I think about when I go into a fight.

If I can get dots up on three or four adds and they will still be alive for awhile then I sb:ss all the mobs I can, sometimes you get lucky rng and can do 5. Then pick the one with the lowest life MG til Drain soul and then multi dot again. Making sure to DS as much as possible.

If they live really long then I start throwing out some seeds as well but always try and snipe that DS so I am full on shards.

If there are a bunch of really low health mobs just use the crappy fire AOE and save the time of seeds and SB:SS for other fights.

If it is a longer drawn out fight, then apply dots regularly and use shards for haunt while using MG. Try and save haunt for times when you can apply MG for a good portion of MG.

Use your outside CD's appropriately....meaning when you can benefit the most. Is that during a burn phase? During the last 20%? Just when they are available?

Just make sure you use everything you can.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

Pretty much this is why I'm going destro for leveling and dungeons and then afflic for raids and pvp. Afflic has always required longer fights to even be worth using because of all our dots.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
10/02/2012 09:13 PMPosted by Puzazu
ok

ok, i'm gonna assume that you are the OP?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]