Crimson Cloud Serpent - Disappointing

90 Worgen Druid
The issue I have with this is that there is a rep requirement to use a reward.

It just seems weird to have a system where you can earn a reward but be unable to use it because of a completely different part of the game that you may or may not be in involved in or wanting to get.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't understand this at all.

It's simply another requirement to getting the reward. So you had to run x dungeons and do y achievements? Cool. You also have to be exalted with z faction.

It's a requirement. Why would you go for a reward with little/no research and complain when you don't meet the requirements? It's like all those idiots that whined about Scepter of the Shifting Sands FOS. "oh, I didn't know there was a quest AFTER that one!!" Well, TFB. It's not like it was some special secret club secret that only a select few knew about.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I don't understand this at all.

It's simply another requirement to getting the reward. So you had to run x dungeons and do y achievements? Cool. You also have to be exalted with z faction.

It's a requirement. Why would you go for a reward with little/no research and complain when you don't meet the requirements? It's like all those idiots that whined about Scepter of the Shifting Sands FOS. "oh, I didn't know there was a quest AFTER that one!!" Well, TFB. It's not like it was some special secret club secret that only a select few knew about.

It's a meta. Do the listed achieves, get a mount. It's been that way since WotLK. There was absolutely no good reason to question a game mechanic that worked the same way for 4 years.

With EVERY OTHER THING IN THE GAME, if there's a rep requirement, you need the rep to acquire it in the first place. Just make the rep part of the achievement and be done with it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/06/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Hasdrubal
There was absolutely no good reason to question a game mechanic that worked the same way for 4 years.

Really? Just like there's no good reason to question a game mechanic that worked the same way for 8 years?

Reins of the Crimson Cloud Serpent

Mouseover. What is listed there?

Requires Level 90.
Requires Artisan Riding.
Requires Cloud Serpent Riding from Order of the Cloud Serpent.

You need it to tell you it's required in more than once place? How repetitive and unnecessary.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Oh no, so you have to do dailies once a day which give you charms that give you extra chances at loot once a week and gold while eventually working your way to the mount.

Noooooooooo! I have to work for something for a change!

It's rather appalling how everyone complained that Cata reps were too easy to farm and now that they do something to try and prolong completion of content, everyone complains that it's too hard. The achieves weren't even that hard in the first place and doesn't justify giving away Cloud Serpent Riding to any schmo down the line just because they're overgeared in 5.2 and beyond.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/06/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Eikahe
It's rather appalling how everyone complained that Cata reps were too easy to farm and now that they do something to try and prolong completion of content, everyone complains that it's too hard.

In week 2 of the xpac no less.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Oh no, so you have to do dailies once a day which give you charms that give you extra chances at loot once a week and gold while eventually working your way to the mount.

Noooooooooo! I have to work for something for a change!

It's rather appalling how everyone complained that Cata reps were too easy to farm and now that they do something to try and prolong completion of content, everyone complains that it's too hard. The achieves weren't even that hard in the first place and doesn't justify giving away Cloud Serpent Riding to any schmo down the line just because they're overgeared in 5.2 and beyond.

This isn't 5.2. I'd like to actually use the mount before all the shmoes in full raid gear can EZ-mode their way through.

Also, there's a cap on how many charms you can get and I'm way over that. The dailies provide less gold than I'd get just fishing for the same time period.

And what's with the sarcasm? I spent my time doing things like learning all the cooking specializations and doing dailies for Klaaxi and Golden Lotus and farming Motes of Harmony and saving up for living steel. I was rather hoping to knock out the achiev early and get on with actual raid content. There's a difference between work and c_ckblocking. This is firmly on the side of the latter.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/07/2012 06:07 AMPosted by Hasdrubal
I'd like to actually use the mount before all the shmoes in full raid gear can EZ-mode their way through.

Considering epic lootz aren't raining from the skies this xpac, I'm pretty sure that those "shmoes" are and will be more than capable of getting the cloud serpent right now at it's current difficulty level. Not to mention, that most of the achievements aren't gear-checks and instead "are you smart enough to not stand in bad and concentrate on killing the boss at the same time" checks.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
None of these posts have a good reason as to why a faction rep is now required for all the meta mount awards.

Because honestly it does suck not being able to use these on certain alts. It just feels like an unnecessary limitation.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
None of these posts have a good reason as to why a faction rep is now required for all the meta mount awards.

Because honestly it does suck not being able to use these on certain alts. It just feels like an unnecessary limitation.

Agreed. The rep requirement for using the mount should be removed.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

It's a meta. Do the listed achieves, get a mount. It's been that way since WotLK. There was absolutely no good reason to question a game mechanic that worked the same way for 4 years.

With EVERY OTHER THING IN THE GAME, if there's a rep requirement, you need the rep to acquire it in the first place. Just make the rep part of the achievement and be done with it.

This isn't the first time this has happened, people could obtain the Albino drake before getting flying mount training on that character, or even before being high enough level to use it. This is no different.
Just getting an item has never guaranteed the ability to use that item in this game.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
The point of the meta was supposed to be challenging enough and/or long enough that you would have Order of the Cloud Serpent exalted by the time you received them to begin with. You won't even see heroic Sha of Fear killed for months, which, by then, should be plenty of time to do dailies for them and farm a few eggs. There's no true -rush- except for if you plowed through all of these, and even then, you should have known immediately just by LOOKING AT THE REWARD that you would need Cloud Serpent flying in order to use it to begin with.

Why prioritize getting the mount if you know full well you need the flying first? What logic is there in that? Why does it immediately become a broken system when you can't have your way when the people that actually farmed the eggs and made the groups once they were able to use the mount can use them before you can?

This isn't 5.2. I'd like to actually use the mount before all the shmoes in full raid gear can EZ-mode their way through.

Also, there's a cap on how many charms you can get and I'm way over that. The dailies provide less gold than I'd get just fishing for the same time period.

And what's with the sarcasm? I spent my time doing things like learning all the cooking specializations and doing dailies for Klaaxi and Golden Lotus and farming Motes of Harmony and saving up for living steel. I was rather hoping to knock out the achiev early and get on with actual raid content. There's a difference between work and c_ckblocking. This is firmly on the side of the latter.

There's a cap on how many charms you can have, but you should be using charms every time you kill a boss (including Sha of Anger and Galleon for weekly drops) in the first place. I'm sitting on four weeks worth of lesser charms personally, but I'm still doing dailies to ensure that no matter what happens, I'll have enough for the upcoming week.

Most of the Cloud Serpent dailies aren't even that bad either - you can fish up the Golden Carp in conjunction with your Angler dailies, you can farm up Motes of Harmony while killing the Saurok, making some bandages with the millions of cloth that drop off of everything you're farming anyways isn't doing anything, and once you get to revered, there's the Sky Race for extra Valor, there's always farming eggs - not ALL of them in one sitting, you could just as easily work on getting 3-5 per day as a boost to speed up the rep grind.

It's very forgiving considering you can literally farm up the eggs in a single day if you truly wanted to. The charms and valor you get from quests are suddenly worth nothing because everyone needs the flying right now and can't wait a week to hit exalted by just doing dailies.
Edited by Eikahe on 10/7/2012 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
a group of people in my guild got the Dungeon Meta the first week before the raids went live (realm first 90s). They saw the same thing and 5 hours later they were exalted with the order of the cloud serpent.

5 hours.

Also, this is not the first mount that had a requirement like this, or that was not immediately available upon being earned. While most people dont think about it, and it isnt a problem, all achievement mounts require 280 flying. I had a friend a while back earn her Firelands Meta and then find out she couldnt ride the firehawk because she still had 150% flying on that character.

All that makes this one odd is that theres a reputation attached to the training. We've had achievement rewards before that require training beforehand.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
a group of people in my guild got the Dungeon Meta the first week before the raids went live (realm first 90s). They saw the same thing and 5 hours later they were exalted with the order of the cloud serpent.

5 hours.

Two points:
1. The eggs were bugged early on and had a much faster respawn rate.
2. Realm first 90s wouldn't have much competition. On my server there are no fewer than a dozen people farming them at any time. Some have resorted to camping individual spawn points rather than flying around.

10/07/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Eikahe
The point of the meta was supposed to be challenging enough and/or long enough that you would have Order of the Cloud Serpent exalted by the time you received them to begin with. You won't even see heroic Sha of Fear killed for months, which, by then, should be plenty of time to do dailies for them and farm a few eggs. There's no true -rush- except for if you plowed through all of these, and even then, you should have known immediately just by LOOKING AT THE REWARD that you would need Cloud Serpent flying in order to use it to begin with.

I've been able to max out cooking before I could max out that rep. The dailies aren't bad themselves, but there's already a ton of dailies around Pandaria. Finding eggs might be easy on a low pop server, but competing against 20 people during peak hours just isn't a viable option. The profession dailies give a laughably small amount of rep.
Edited by Hasdrubal on 10/7/2012 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

5 hours.

Two points:
1. The eggs were bugged early on and had a much faster respawn rate.
2. Realm first 90s wouldn't have much competition. On my server there are no fewer than a dozen people farming them at any time. Some have resorted to camping individual spawn points rather than flying around.

10/07/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Eikahe

I've been able to max out cooking before I could max out that rep. The dailies aren't bad themselves, but there's already a ton of dailies around Pandaria. Finding eggs might be easy on a low pop server, but competing against 20 people during peak hours just isn't a viable option. The profession dailies give a laughably small amount of rep.

Sure, they give a laughably small amount of rep, but rep is rep, isn't it? I fought through multiple people grinding it out personally, and worse comes to worst, you could always poke around OpenRaid and see if you can borrow someone from a low pop server to sneak in and work on eggs with less fighting.

The moral, however, is that it's unfair to claim that the system is unjust and broken when it should be common sense that you need the rep to use the mount. If the achieve gave exalted rep and flying, there would be absolutely no point to the faction whatsoever, and then the forums would yet again be flooded with 'gee, Order of the Cloud Serpent was too easy and now everyone's riding around on my mount' garbage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I farmed the eggs on September 26th. There were 10 level 90's online and I was the only one of them in Jade Forest entirely. The eggs were on (average) 2-3 hour respawn. Some slightly sooner, some slightly longer than 2 hours.

Are we certain Blizzard altered the spawn rate, or do eggs appear to "spawn less" because more people are farming them? 2 hours per egg is a long time when there are 20+ people farming the eggs simultaneously. For people who farmed in the first few days, yes, they will say things like "I found so many eggs!" and people a week later will never find eggs. So the information gets miscommunicated. There aren't less eggs... There are more people. Key difference.

If you're alone, you'll see more eggs, and it'll feel like they are spawning faster.

Anyway on-topic: I don't think the Glory reward should be tied to a rep faction mount. Since serpents require rep to ride (that's fine), the reward SHOULD NOT BE A SERPENT AT ALL since you're screwing over people who didn't farm the rep, and if you give "free cloud serpent riding" to those who don't have the rep, you're screwing over people who did farm the rep.

Nobody wins, except people who already have BOTH the Crimson Serpent and exalted.
Edited by Bbqsauce on 10/8/2012 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter

Funny, you need exalted with August Celestials to ride the Alani mount, yet there is no mention of that anywhere. You would think people would be up in arms over that too!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I farmed no eggs, I hit exalted from the dailies today after quest reset. That's 2 weeks of dailies. Horror!
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Two weeks of dailies is still alot of busywork, considering that doing them is not exactly "great gameplay". Not everyone has hours of nothing better to do :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
wait, WHAT?! you mean you need cloud serpent training to ride a cloud serpent?!

what's this world coming to, next thing you know you'll require car keys to operate your car.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]