Threat issues?

90 Human Warrior
Alright so I am new to warrior tanking and I am the main tank in my guild. Today we were raiding and for some reason I was having a lot of issues getting threat on the first boss. My issues came from taunting off of the off tank. We would call a switch we would both taunt off and then suddenly half way to me the mob would turn and run back to the other tank. Any ideas on what I can do to try and stop this from happening? I tried taunting and then heroic throwing to try and have a little more aggro but even that didn't seem to work. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
Taunt, charge, shield slam, move it to where it's supposed to be?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/03/2012 03:12 AMPosted by Aiyanna
Taunt, charge, shield slam, move it to where it's supposed to be?

I was doin that but then people were getting all mad cause they were too close to eachother.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
Do you have a parse or any analytic data from your raid? I had some fun wipes in a pug last night but had no threat issues or anything close to them.

The only issue that should cause the mob to run back would be a constant aoe tank being performed by the other tank or a taunt back.
Edited by Quinten on 10/3/2012 4:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I would taunt...use stormbolt and then heroic throw.
60% of the time it worked everytime

and by that i mean everytime :)
Edited by Ethica on 10/3/2012 5:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Was the other tank a paladin using consecration? Ran into this issue last night. Once he noticed this he stopped using consecrate and we were fine.

On a side note, I noticed that you have an Arms offspec. Just tossing this out there as you mentioned you were new to tanking. Make sure you switch your stance to defensive stance while you're in prot spec.
Edited by Navox on 10/3/2012 5:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Was the other tank a paladin using consecration? Ran into this issue last night. Once he noticed this he stopped using consecrate and we were fine.

On a side note, I noticed that you have an Arms offspec. Just tossing this out there as you mentioned you were new to tanking. Make sure you switch your stance to defensive stance while you're in prot spec.

I totally did this on our last week in DS. Tanking H blackhorn, couldn't figure out why the damn adds wouldn't stay on me. Look at stances...I'm still in battle stance. DERP.

Also, if the other tank has a big pile of vengeance, he's going to have to be very careful about smacking the mob until you get some vengeance as well.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
If you are talking about Stone Guards, more then likely it isn't that you can't taunt of and get aggro but that you might be spread way to far apart. You only need to keep the Single Guard more then 12 Yards from the other 2 to keep it from gaining energy; if you are tanking them 20+ yards apart and in that path across all you do is a heroic throw you likely won't do enough to keep his attention. If you're specced into Storm Bolt as Ethica said then that ability will help to front end some threat till the Guard gets into melee range. Alternatively just tank them about 15 yards apart, this gives plenty of time for you to hit it with a throw and some melee before your taunt wears off.

You are also going to have to get your hit and exp up as close to 7.5% each as you can if you want to try to make tank swapping a lot smoother.

Clean up these things and you should see your taunt swapping issues ease up. I tank opposite a blood dk and doing the above; we had zero issues swapping back and forth last night.

Cheers
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Me and the raid leader were talking about it and we think it had something to do with the fact that we pug'd a druid tank so we thought it might have been something to do with the bleeds. I'll be sure to try stormbolt and heroic throw idea and tanking the mobs a little closer because we were much farther apart than was necessary. Thanks all for the replies they were very helpfull.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]