Let's talk about Windwalkers.

2 Tauren Shaman
I've had enough raiding experience with Windwalkers now to say that I will be re-rolling back to my former class. I feel that what Blizzard realise they made a mistake with DK's being too OP but have now undertuned monks, especially Windwalkers.

Utility:
This is something that a lot of people often claim monks have in abundance, but I think what they really mean is that monks have a bunch of silly, nifty-seeming spells.

Zen Meditation is a garbage raid cooldown because it requires spells to be cast directly at players, a mechanic rarely used in World of Warcraft.

Raid Healing & Self Healing is almost nonexistant. Unlike most hybrids, WW's certainly can't offheal anything if !@#$ hits the fan. Nor can we really do much to heal ourselves as outside of avert harm and our talented heal, our healing spheres only do about 10k healing for 70 energy.

Roll is the one good ability WW monks have.

The good monk utility abilities are all entirely selfish and do nothing to encourage a raid leader to add that class to a raid. Compare the lack of WW monk utility to other classes available and it becomes clear that there is an issue.

DPS:

Currently, the numbers coming out of raids show that monks are on average doing fairly poor. The numbers aren't much, but being 5% or so behind other similar dps classes matters a lot when you're not actually bringing anything to the raid (No battle rez, symbiosis, effective raid cds etc).

Furthermore though, the rotation is simply just boring. There are no procs to watch for nor many major cooldowns; Energizing brew and Xuen are it, with I guess tiger's brew saved up. In any case, our opening DPS is not like most other classes, we don't have that initial huge burst - We just stay the same throughout the whole fight from beginning to end, we don't even have an execute.

Fists of Fury is clunky and difficult to fit in to any sort of rotation performed on most raid bosses, simply as you must stand still while performing it. It should be changed to only hit 3 targets, be usable while moving and actually give monks a cleave - This should make our DPS situation a little more exciting as we have a dps increase then when we can cleave.

It is the most boring class to dps with in the game. Other dps classes are spikes of fun and excitement, but a monk's dps is steady as she goes... like filling out paper-work.
Edited by Lellington on 10/3/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
76 Human Monk
So, all the fun I'm having being a WW in dungeons will end by level 90? :/
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
Excellent.

I hate all the ooking random procs most classes have thrown into their priorities these days. I don't think its fun at all and in general I dislike RNG mechanics.

Monk is looking better and better.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
let's talk about brewmasters and mistweavers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i have yet to raid on this character, but i thought i'd throw in my 2c from my dungeoning experiences.

I (currently) have no problem with the rotation. there's quite a few things to watch for, so i do feel that i have to keep on my toes, and that in itself has made things interesting.

but the actual DPS...? I will admit that every so often i screw up and let TP staks drop, or i fail to RSK immediately after it's off cooldown. but even on teh fights where i feel i've executed perfectly, there's still no way i'm beating my ele shammy and BM hunter friend, even though i've managed to grab more heroic dungeon gear than they have. If it weren't for me macroing in my synapse springs to TEB and having a crazy 10-second burst period, i'm sure i'd be even further behind.

all in all, monk feels fun conceptually, but it lacks the power to really make me feel like i'm contributing something over what anyone else could bring- be it utility or DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
good post, these are the problems people have been complaining about since beta.

Blizzard's response: "Working as intended"
Reply Quote
28 Orc Shaman
Tiger Palm serves no purpose. The armor ignoring effect should be tied into Blackout Kick or Jab.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/03/2012 07:45 AMPosted by Lellington
I've had enough raiding experience with Windwalkers now to say that I will be re-rolling back to my former class. I feel that what Blizzard realise they made a mistake with DK's being too OP but have now undertuned monks, especially Windwalkers.

One night is enough?

...huh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
There are two posts I can completely get by:

10/03/2012 08:54 AMPosted by Phopaw
all in all, monk feels fun conceptually, but it lacks the power to really make me feel like i'm contributing something over what anyone else could bring- be it utility or DPS.

good post, these are the problems people have been complaining about since beta.

Blizzard's response: "Working as intended"

I liked the original Fists of Fury, which was a cleave buff, kinda like the Rogue ability for combat (name escapes me). They also said that the normal abilities (Being Bok and TP) were too boring, thats why they have a buff/debuff. They did not change/modify them since the additional effects were added.

What we did get, were some very nasty nerfs to self heals and over-all damage. It was pretty bad on the Beta afterwards. I can't believe they went through with it to live. Just look at DKs.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/15278909.png/

100k Oblitherate and I'm in 50% resil. I can't hope to compete with that, and my 35k RSK (And rsk is supposed to be my heavy hitter. Lol wut?!)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
10/03/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Wisemuffins

One night is enough?

...huh.

For some people, that don't really have a lot of time on their hands, this sort of hopelessness for the monk class that seems to be arising is definitely enough to make someone quit. The class seems clunky, and unorganized. There are spells that don't need to be there, we're overlocked on resources, raid wide CD sucks !@#$ unless you're taking big bang on algalon, fists of fury is just generally %^-*ty especially on movement fights, etc etc. Monks need a retuning, without a doubt. I'm assuming we'll get a major buff in about 2-3 weeks. If not, I'll be rerolling warrior for sure. No sense in wasting time, if monk goes south I'll already be behind about a month, detrimental considering the amount of dailies one needs to do in order to get early tier raid gear.

le sigh, pls bizz fix, qq, etc
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm sorry no procs? Our mastery is 100% about procs. If you don't like the flow of the class that is fine, but I love the current rotation and feel it is one of the smoothest in the game
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
10/03/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Wisemuffins

One night is enough?

...huh.

Yeah because noone tested on beta /sarcasm hopefully once WW monks start disappearing they will be buffing us; I am only playing monk because we have 2 main tanks and 3 off tanks one of each class hence why I switched to monk to bring the option in case BRM is the best tank on some fights. That said the spec is a lot of fun but it definitely under-performs vs other melee with no gain in raid utility.
Reply Quote
BUT TEH BREW MASTER / MISTWEAVER IS EPIX HAXORZ
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
10/03/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Brewmook
I'm sorry no procs? Our mastery is 100% about procs. If you don't like the flow of the class that is fine, but I love the current rotation and feel it is one of the smoothest in the game

looks at gear.
looks at mastery #.
looks at haste #.
/facepalm
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk

What we did get, were some very nasty nerfs to self heals and over-all damage. It was pretty bad on the Beta afterwards. I can't believe they went through with it to live. Just look at DKs.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/15278909.png/

100k Oblitherate and I'm in 50% resil. I can't hope to compete with that, and my 35k RSK (And rsk is supposed to be my heavy hitter. Lol wut?!)

I'm sorry, but I laughed hard when I saw the healing done by your zen sphere there. Something along the lines of a band-aid trying to heal a bullet wound.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As I've seen, monks do need a change in mechanic to FoF, 95% of the time, I am mobile and with fights like Stone Guards and Feng, we have to stay mobile and rooting isnt a pleasure we get to have. I have the best gear in my guild and after doing a perfect rotation in a fight (yes once in a while, you dont drop your buffs and hit RSK every time on CD, I was only mid pack behind the current power house which is Frost DK and Fury warrior.) I think we need some tending to and with so few of us already at 90 and raiding, it will be a while. Hopefully we aren't treated similar to rets.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/03/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Briyan

looks at gear.
looks at mastery #.
looks at haste #.
/facepalm

Sorry for being in pvp gear??
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hit the nail right on the head with this post.

WW have 3 abilities and 2 cooldowns total. Jab, BoK, RSK are our ONLY 3 abilities that you will use. We manage our 2 cooldowns every few minutes and thats it. Yes I had fun the entire time leveling but once you hit 90 and will get bored with them very quickly and for God's sake don't pvp with them or you will want to pull your hair out.

The tank spec has some small technical issues like having to LOS any ranged mob groups, jab energy cost, and spike damage and I cannot speak on healing because I haven't tried it nor care to.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/03/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Chongpao
Hit the nail right on the head with this post.

Except for that whole, no procs thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]