Teach Me How To Tank

90 Human Monk
I've been tanking dungeons and I've been doing pretty well but I know it's going to get harder so I might as well learn now.

My normal rotation in an aoe fight is

Dizzling Haze
Keg Smash
BoF spam.

While throwing in some jabs for guard, and tiger palm to to increase my guard. My single target is normally the same too lol.

Is there any other spell I should be using, and some that I shouldn't be using?

I use revoke, elusive brew, fortifying potion, and all the other defense CDs too. This monk has more keybinds then any other of my classes when they're level 40 lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
And any leveling tips, tricks, or hints would be nice too :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
stage a hunger strike.

just kidding. it sounds like you're doing everything right. I don't remember when you get all of your important abilities, but if you have shuffle, remember to use blackout kick.
Reply Quote
87 Pandaren Monk
Yes, start learning to keep Blackout Kick (shuffle) up. 20% parry + 20% stagger increase is nothing to sneeze at (really, it's going to reduce your dmg intake)

also, if you're aoeing...use crane kick over jab when you can. BoF is going to be the lowest priority (since it's cone is so narrow for the most part)
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I forgot all about Blackout Kick, now I need to find a new keybind for it noooo.

But thanks for the tips everyone!

I love this enlightenment buff, it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm level 40 after 11 hours, on my 41 pally tank I'm on 1 day and 6 hours lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I forgot all about Blackout Kick, now I need to find a new keybind for it noooo.

I love this enlightenment buff, it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm level 40 after 11 hours, on my 41 pally tank I'm on 1 day and 6 hours lol.

Stop doing those quests! Do the daily one every day, but leave the Yellow ones. The experience on them scales up as you level, so you can use them at 89 for a pretty big leg up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

Stop doing those quests! Do the daily one every day, but leave the Yellow ones. The experience on them scales up as you level, so you can use them at 89 for a pretty big leg up.

Good thing I didn't turn in my level 40 one yet ;) thanks!
Reply Quote
Just remember when you do your first Heroic don't just pull everything, you will wipe and people will cry.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As you get into more difficult dungeons you will want to start ignoring Breath of Fire completly and focus on using your Chi on Blackout Kick and Guard.
Keeping Guard and Shuffle up as much as possible.
Use Keg Smash and Spinning Crane Kick(if targets 3+) for AoE threat generation.

Unless BoF gets a bit of a buff, its just wasting Chi that you could be using for Mitigation.
Reply Quote
76 Human Monk
As you get into more difficult dungeons you will want to start ignoring Breath of Fire completly and focus on using your Chi on Blackout Kick and Guard.

Unless BoF gets a bit of a buff, its just wasting Chi that you could be using for Mitigation.

He's right. Plus, Keg Smash got a big damage buff, so it should be able to hold aoe threat just fine, if you tab target here and there for single target rotation. BoK should be your priority in spending chi. I'd even say, use Keg Smash on cooldown unless guard is about to become avaliabe.

It's a shame, actually, because BoF is the funniest button to press as a brewmaster, yet we can't spare resources for it. :/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/04/2012 10:16 AMPosted by Bones
Just remember when you do your first Heroic don't just pull everything, you will wipe and people will cry.

Maybe if you suck. If you're a beast, you'll end up doing 200k DPS and everyone else will be crying in jealousy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
10/04/2012 10:16 AMPosted by Bones

lol? heroics are stupid easy...
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Priest
How to tank in two easy steps.

1. Delete your monk
2. Reroll a real tank class
Reply Quote
I agree, i love BoF and wish they would change it to add something else. Maybe have it grant some form of mitigation so we are not so squishy. Hard to swing because your eyeballs are on fire.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
How to tank in two easy steps.

1. Delete your monk
2. Reroll a real tank class

The funny part of this is where monks are pretty much the best tanks around.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

He's right. Plus, Keg Smash got a big damage buff, so it should be able to hold aoe threat just fine, if you tab target here and there for single target rotation. BoK should be your priority in spending chi. I'd even say, use Keg Smash on cooldown unless guard is about to become avaliabe.

It's a shame, actually, because BoF is the funniest button to press as a brewmaster, yet we can't spare resources for it. :/

Ya, the whole concept of getting them wet with alchohol (Keg Smash) and lighting them on fire is just so cool(or hot...)
and also considering its Brewmaster speciality I really hope it gets some kind of buff.... maybe extend an existing shuffle by a few seconds or something. But not enough to cause us to replace using blackout kick, just enough of something to allow us to throw it in every now and then without losing our shuffle.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]