How long to lvl a pet to 25?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
A main reason for me possibly playing again is pet battles. The level cap (25) seems low but what is the exp rate for the pets? i've been looking around but i can't find a clear cut answer. Can someone give me simple time frame or anything?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
3-4 hours done right.
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter
10/04/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Hearus
3-4 hours done right.

wut

Maybe if you already have a level 25 pet to power level another one.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/04/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Hearus
3-4 hours done right.

It appears you have quite a number of level 20+ pets (including a few level 25 pets), so I believe you...I'm curious how you're going about it though, since it would be very nice to cut down on some of the grinding time to level up pets; I just have no patience for it =| but there are a few level 20+ pets I'd <3 to capture for adorable vanity purposes. Any tips?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
The first pet is the hardest ... After that, it's easy to bootstrap up additional pets.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Don't forget that you can also trap high level pets and use that one to train your other ones that aren't found in high level zones.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
10/07/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Wistiria
3-4 hours done right.

It appears you have quite a number of level 20+ pets (including a few level 25 pets), so I believe you...I'm curious how you're going about it though, since it would be very nice to cut down on some of the grinding time to level up pets; I just have no patience for it =| but there are a few level 20+ pets I'd <3 to capture for adorable vanity purposes. Any tips?

Level something that can solo groups of three. Make sure your pet you are leveling can not be one shot. get it one turn in and then kill the rest asap. There are quite a few stable masters that are very close to large groups of wild pets. Use those to keep your fights moving.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Here is a trick I like to use:

I attack once on a group of 3x level 24s with some level 4ish pet (high enough to survive one hit) that I want to power-level. I switch to a level 25 that can dot fairly well (I use Murkablo, but there are tons of others, probably including pets that can kill themselves) and If you time it just right, your level 25 will die (you have to pass a lot usually) and the dot will kill the last enemy for your lowbie, giving them 100% of the XP. This also works with trainers, sometimes giving you many levels from one battle.

I don't always do this though, since it means you'll have to heal your pets up every single time you do it (since your good guy has to die...). Generally I just tag the group with my lowbie and plow through the rest with a level 25; you get like half the xp, but since you don't have to heal up as often, this is probably faster...

Edit: It generally takes like 2-3 hours to hit level 20 and then 30 minutes per level until 25. It goes a lot faster if the pet can solo the packs on their own for the last few levels.

I suggest Valley of The Four Winds. There is a panda kid at the first or second camp that can heal up your pets and lots of easy level 23-24 battles around.
Edited by Komos on 10/7/2012 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
10/07/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Wistiria
it would be very nice to cut down on some of the grinding time to level up pets

I agree, blue if you are watching this please make it easier to level pets after the first one without cheese. Maybe add a few extra quests on each pet tamer to help? heck I think a unique pet reward from each trainer would be really good too.

A few tips on leveling pets:
- always try to engage pets that are weak to your type. e.g you will find allot of aquatic pets in water (duh) so fight there if you have flying types.
-Try to fight close to stable masters so you can easily back and forth heal between matches.
- Always have a beast (strong vs critter) and a Mechanical (Strong vs beast) attack damage type on one of your pets, they are usually the 2nd/3rd pets in a battle.
- Focus on dps pets, there are some very strong heal/tanky/survive based pets but putting out more damage means shorter fights (PVE) which means more xp for your time.

Powerleveling (once you have one at 25)
Dead pets get no XP (neither do pets that do not contribute). Use a high level pet to kill 2 high level pets then 90% of the 3rd, then keep passing till it dies (should only need 1 or 2 passes to finish it off or your first pet is too powerful switch to a slightly weaker one), next switch in your low level pet and finish off the weakened 3rd pet. Your low level pet now gets all the xp for killing 3 high level pets (and a very nice chunk of difficulty based XP).

Blue again if you are reading this please implement a bonus for keeping pets alive greater than (or supplementing) the difficulty bonus, its not fun intentionally killing pets but it is too efficient.
Reply Quote
My Onyxian Whelpling can hold it's own against 3 23's or so in a row down in Dragonblight near WrA temple. Best bet is to farm the condors down there near the Stable Master -- generally kill 2, take a chunk out of the third's health, let whelp die, switch in lesser pet to finish it off. Best way for xp since they fixed letting you battle Northrend trainers again and again if you didn't go get the dailies.

Once they ACTUALLY FIX THE DAILIES SO THEY RESET those are the best source of xp for a pet.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest

Once they ACTUALLY FIX THE DAILIES SO THEY RESET those are the best source of xp for a pet.

This has been my experience as well, at least since I don't have the panda expansion so there are no wild level 25 pets I can battle and thus less xp per fight.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! =) With your guys help, I was able to get from ~6 to 22 in about 4 to 5 played hours last night (to get from 1 to 6 before your guys tips probably took 4 hours =P). You guys are so awesome!

For any one struggling with the leveling:

The one thing which wasn't apparent to me (though I feel so silly that it wasn't), that really helped out from what these folks wrote, was to remember that you can catch pets which are higher level than yours, and continually create a higher level team by doing this. Once you get the initial group leveled, you can then power level up the ones you really want (though >.> the crab combo I ended with all feel like friends now, I don’t think I could ditch them).

In another thread, one of the battle pet forums people was talking about how nice a frog is in a group, I couldn't agree more, a frog or crab in my team -- which respectively have a beast damage attack, and a self-heal, and can really solo when things get tough -- made things go much more smoothly.

So, for me, for example, I started off with the level 6 pets I managed to sloooowwwllyy level to 6. I went from levels 6 -> 9, 9->12, 12->15, 15->18 (weakened to 17 >.< which grrr was annoying to discover this happened), 17->20 (weakened to 19), 19->22 (weakened to 21). Once I had the level 21 pets, the level 23-24 ones I wanted were pretty simple.

I focused on collecting uncommons or rares using Pet Theory to help with this, forfeiting the fight if the pet I wanted wasn't the quality I wanted, attempting to match what I caught with what I'd fight; which usually meant having a flying pet and an aquatic (with its beast damage attack active) on hand. So I wasn't randomly flying around, I googled battle pets by level by zone and found a website that had a nice chart.

It was actually really fun and addictive once I started going, and, really thanks to the people here took much less time than I could have hoped for.
Edited by Wistiria on 10/8/2012 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
this might be considerd cheating but once you get 3 level 9-10 pets you can try to catch a level 16 and once you have that you can get a whole team of level 16 or 17 so it will not take so much time to level them
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
10 minutes, but you can only do one or two pets at a time this way...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
First pet to level, use something w/a heal. Time for first pet took me a few days, but was also leveling two toons...so no clue on that one.
But after you get a few pets to 25, can get 1->25 in less than 30 min
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]