Santiaga 2012

(Locked)

85 Orc Death Knight
Santiaga, Orc Assassination Rogue, has an alter ego named "Colleen Lachowicz" running for state senate in Maine. Here's a website her opposition (the Republican Party of Maine) has created to smear her on the web:

http://www.colleensworld.com/

An excerpt:
Colleen Lachowicz, AKA Santiaga, is a gamer in the massively multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft (WoW), which takes place in the make-believe land Azeroth. Today, Colleen/Santiaga is an orc assassination rogue playing at level 85–the highest level one can attain. She and the members of her “Wreck List Guild”—Colleen/Santiaga’s WoW online alliance—post comments to each other on liberal online forums including the Daily Kos, where they discuss politics, military policies, and WoW battle tactics.

Studies have found the average WoW gamer is 28, and spends 22.7 hours a week playing in Azeroth.

I don't know Santiaga or Colleen and I certainly don't live in Maine. I don't know that I'd agree with her political stances or that I would vote for based on her policies. That's not what this is about.

What I do know is that using the fact that she plays World of Warcraft against her in a political campaign is absurdly pathetic. This site infantilizes Colleen by using denigrating descriptions like "make-believe land Azeroth" and apparently suggesting that "the average WoW gamer" is an immature 28 year old who spends too much of his or her free time playing World of Warcraft.

Stereotypes aside, playing World of Warcraft does not inherently make someone a jobless, basement-dwelling, Mountain Dew-swilling Dorito fiend (not that there's anything wrong with that). It does not make someone unfit to be a politician.

In fact, a recent study found that playing MMOs hones very important workplace skills: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/09/27/research-playing-mmos-improves-important-workplace-skills

On other points that this site is trying to use to bash Colleen, being young (apparently 28 is young or something?) or having hobbies dominated by young people does not disqualify someone from being a politican either.

And 22.7 hours per week playing WoW? The average American spends 28 hours per week watching television.

Her political opinion aside, I, for one, do not think playing World of Warcraft should be used against someone in a political campaign. I think it makes the person using it as a negative look petty and desperate. In fact, I encourage Colleen to embrace it (as I believe she will) and run with it.

Anyway, I post this for two reasons:
One, I find the site hilariously out of touch with reality and worth looking at and making fun of. But I also think we, as gamers and WoW players, should seriously look at it as an attack on our choice of hobby.
Two, I want Santiaga/Colleen to know that WoW players and gamers alike are not ashamed of their hobby, and we won't stand by as some out-of-touch knuckle-draggers use WoW and gaming to make someone look bad.

Also, I actually think being an Orc Assassination Rogue is great preparation for diving into American politics.
85 Human Warlock
i think i would prefer it if politicians spend their time doing other things.
call me old fashioned i guess
90 Pandaren Hunter
/careface
85 Orc Death Knight
i think i would prefer it if politicians spend their time doing other things.
call me old fashioned i guess

Like what?

And how does it relate to their policies or how good they'll be at their job?

I just provided a link to evidence that playing MMOs makes people better workers. So I guess my point is, there are far worse things she could be doing in her free time, some of which might be worth mentioning in the context of her electability.

But I do not think playing WoW or gaming is one of them.

10/04/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Vaquero
/careface

Thanks for the bump, carebear. :)
Edited by Perky on 10/4/2012 12:22 PM PDT
85 Human Warlock
people trying to make a real impact shouldnt kill much time at all, let alone 20 hours a week.
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/04/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Spiteful
people trying to make a real impact shouldnt kill much time at all, let alone 20 hours a week.

The article doesn't tell you how much the candidate plays; it tells you the average player plays that many hours a week, and lets you jump to your own conclusions.
90 Human Priest
With the amount of information we have been given, it would be naive to defend or assault her competence because she plays WoW. This is a non-issue becoming an issue by people with too much time.
85 Orc Death Knight
10/04/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Spiteful

How about you be specific? What, exactly, should they do in their spare time? They simply shouldn't have any? They should work at all times except when eating a meal or sleeping?

How many presidents have you seen pictures of on the golf course? And we're not talking about a president here. We're talking about a candidate for state senate in Maine.

And just to put that in perspective, you're saying no politician should have three hours a day of free time. Three hours. Think about that. I have a full time job, a spouse, chores, et cetera, and I still have three hours of free time many days, especially if you count the weekend.

I could choose to use that to learn a foreign language or play the piano or go work out or play World of Warcraft, right? So what would be a better use of that time? And if that's so important, should we be forcing all candidates to reveal every detail of their free time for us to vet prior to voting?

Besides that, she wasn't a politician at the time she was playing WoW, so it's kind of a moot point.
90 Pandaren Hunter
^ Which is enough for most voters in a state like Maine to vote for the other party. It isn't that big of a leap to think that they want their member in office to spend more time with the people there instead of online.
85 Human Warlock
10/04/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Kaganfindel

The article doesn't tell you how much the candidate plays; it tells you the average player plays that many hours a week, and lets you jump to your own conclusions.

agree, but having been around wow, i only know a few people that play here and there, maybe like you would some random console game.

if you tell me you want to do serious things when you grow up, i would say one of the last things you want to get into is mmo's. (not you specifically and just my opinion)
85 Orc Death Knight
10/04/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Vaquero
^ Which is enough for most voters in a state like Maine to vote for the other party. It isn't that big of a leap to think that they want their member in office to spend more time with the people there instead of online.

Exactly. It's playing up the "gamers are antisocial" or "gamers are inept" stereotype, which is something every one of us with an account on WoW should be wary of.
77 Draenei Death Knight
No one cares because no one here is going to run for Senate.

They won't care until "what do you do in your spare time?" or the people who demand access to your Facebook (which allows people to see what you do in your spare time) starts costing them a job because they happen to play Warcraft/MMOs/Video games instead of whatever the company feels is an acceptable way to spend your time outside of work.
90 Orc Death Knight
With the terrible decisions that come from a lot of politicians - maybe it would be better if they spent more time on stuff that wasn't politics after all.
Edited by Rashend on 10/4/2012 12:41 PM PDT
90 Human Priest
10/04/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Spiteful

agree, but having been around wow, i only know a few people that play here and there, maybe like you would some random console game.

if you tell me you want to do serious things when you grow up, i would say one of the last things you want to get into is mmo's. (not you specifically and just my opinion)
I hear you can't be a professional and play an MMO... oh wait! Didn't I hear about an EVE Online player dying in a US embassy not too long ago?

Honestly, I know more people that lose their jobs, fail school, or have family problems because of more serious issues than "playing an MMO". I agree that MMOs can eat up a lot of time if you are not careful, but most responsible people will know how to prioritise. If they don't know how to prioritise, then I doubt MMOs are their only problem.
85 Human Warlock
all in all, i dont think much of our hobby of choice.
time is limited and wow is great, but we get way too caught up in this game and there is just too much out there for us to be clicking here 20 hours a week.

(<-------clicks way more than 20 a week when i am into it)

---mow your parents lawn, or the old lady down the street.... it doesnt have to be exciting
---learn something
---travel
---get a job --- or another one
---if you are in college and dont have a job, internships every year are pretty much par for the course with hardcores

stuff like that.....basically anything that isnt robbing liquor stores or frying away tons of hours on the pc

edit = Facia, dont get offended lol. i didnt know you were running for Senate.
you can do whatever you want with your time and be successful, but if you are young and in school, i think it is a safer bet to spend your time doing other stuff.

is that so wild to suggest?
Edited by Spiteful on 10/4/2012 12:50 PM PDT
One of the amazing things I find about this game is the fact that people of all types can play this game.

Imagine the next person you have in a dungeon may just be one of the most famous people on this planet. You will just never know it.

We come from all walks of life and that is a good thing.
90 Human Warrior
---mow your parents lawn, or the old lady down the street.... it doesnt have to be exciting
---learn something
---travel
---get a job --- or another one
---if you are in college and dont have a job, internships every year are pretty much par for the course with hardcores

That's all for young people. Been there, done that. I still have the job, but doing chores isn't really my problem now, I have people for that. I travelled a bit ( and will be doing some more soon) and I spent 7 years in university learning random things (and I still sign up for the occasional course). I run to stay fit (important as you get older) and read at least one book a week.

And I spend more than 20 hours a week playing games.

:P
90 Human Priest
10/04/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Spiteful
stuff like that.....basically anything that isnt robbing liquor stores or frying away tons of hours on the pc

That's all wonderful in thought, but people are allowed to do what they want with their spare time and their money as long as it's not law-breaking.
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/04/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Spiteful

Most of the responsible adults I know who play the game do so far less than the average Murrican spends in front of the television. I don't think either of our samples are big or broad enough to paint an accurate picture of the average player, though. In fact, I think it would be irresponsible to try to paint an accurate picture of the average player, let alone superimpose it on anyone "exposed" as a WoW player.

Bottom line: this game comes with a stigma that rich white guy hobbies don't, and her opposition is using it to try and pin an image on her with an audience that lacks enough information and critical thinking ability to be able to cut through the crap, so it'll probably stick. That's sad enough without the rest of us crabs latching onto her and dragging her back into the bucket.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]