Santiaga 2012

(Locked)

85 Human Warlock
Bane - you sound like a responsible adult. exciting, but probably not close to Senate exciting, right?

anyway, i know tons of really special people (in a good way) play this game.
but if youre young and want to do great things, i cant say playing games 20 hours a week is the best way to go.

(i believe in my initial response to this thread i said i was old-fashioned)
85 Human Warlock
10/04/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Avatar
stuff like that.....basically anything that isnt robbing liquor stores or frying away tons of hours on the pc

That's all wonderful in thought, but people are allowed to do what they want with their spare time and their money as long as it's not law-breaking.

yes, but dont expect to win a seat in the Senate.
Kagan puts it nicely.

at the very least, due to stigmas and other nonsense, it just doesnt sit well.
25 Goblin Shaman
If she really needs the votes of people too stupid to figure out what a non-issue her WoW account is, then she's already screwed.
90 Human Warrior
She's Horde?

Meh, only if she was a Tauren.
10/04/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Kaganfindel
The article doesn't tell you how much the candidate plays; it tells you the average player plays that many hours a week, and lets you jump to your own conclusions.

Judging by her gear (no snarkyness intended) not that much) doesn't even look like she runs heroics let alone raids. Also not to mention looks like most of that stuff was early Cata meaning she probably has been focusing on the election more than WoW in the last year

Edit: Link to her Armory page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/garrosh/Santiaga/simple
Edited by Zarndor on 10/4/2012 1:27 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue

As long as enough voters are too stupid to spot a circular argument, I guess you're right.
90 Tauren Hunter
I'm a registered Republican and play WoW. That site is bad and they should feel bad for making it.
85 Orc Death Knight
10/04/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Spiteful

That's all wonderful in thought, but people are allowed to do what they want with their spare time and their money as long as it's not law-breaking.

Kagan puts it nicely.

at the very least, due to stigmas and other nonsense, it just doesnt sit well.

I don't disagree that the stigma is present, but my point in posting this is that we should be against people using that stigma to make us look bad. And we should be against the stereotype in general rather than just sitting by and allowing it to define us as a collective group.

I also am out of lunch, so this is my last post for a bit here. Thanks for engaging.
90 Human Priest
all in all, i dont think much of our hobby of choice.
time is limited and wow is great, but we get way too caught up in this game and there is just too much out there for us to be clicking here 20 hours a week.

(<-------clicks way more than 20 a week when i am into it)

---mow your parents lawn, or the old lady down the street.... it doesnt have to be exciting
---learn something
---travel
---get a job --- or another one
---if you are in college and dont have a job, internships every year are pretty much par for the course with hardcores

stuff like that.....basically anything that isnt robbing liquor stores or frying away tons of hours on the pc

edit = Facia, dont get offended lol. i didnt know you were running for Senate.
you can do whatever you want with your time and be successful, but if you are young and in school, i think it is a safer bet to spend your time doing other stuff.

is that so wild to suggest?
Not offended at all. I understand your viewpoint and can agree that people can spend their spare time in a more "meaningful" way. However, people have different values on what is important.

For example, you suggest traveling; however, I can't imagine how that benefits a programmer - programming language is the same everywhere and travel is no longer necessary with the advent of the world wide web.

On the contrary, WoW has an innate social aspect that can allow people to network among one another. As can be seen here, MMOs are not ONLY for 28-year-old losers; professionals like Colleen Lachowicz play the game. Just because MMOs have a social stigma, we should not ignore its possible benefits (no cure for cancer included).
80 Dwarf Paladin
Couldn't this be seen as slander against Blizzard and the World of Warcraft franchise?

Its like saying 'don't vote Romney he drinks Coca Cola', pretty sure that would cause a fuss.
90 Tauren Hunter
Its like saying 'don't vote Romney he drinks Coca Cola', pretty sure that would cause a fuss.

He drinks Dr. Pepper, you jerk! D:<
90 Orc Warrior
10/04/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Vaquero
/careface

Edgy and cool. Lookit guys!
90 Night Elf Rogue
Thank you, Zarndor.

See, a little information and critical thinking paints a completely different picture of the candidate than the hype suggests. Doesn't look like she's got time to play much, so if you think little of the game and of people who spend a lot of time in it, you've still got no cause to think less of her.

Sadly, I don't think that election is going to be carried by voters who are so armed.
90 Troll Hunter
I personally wouldn't have a problem voting for someone who plays WoW. Sometimes, I play to forget the stresses of the day, who's to say she doesn't do the same thing?
90 Troll Hunter
i think i would prefer it if politicians spend their time doing other things.
call me old fashioned i guess

So you want her having extramarital affairs or sending inappropriate photos to subordinates like other politicians seem to enjoy doing these days?
67 Gnome Warlock
There are so many examples of ways this game has kept people indoors at reasonable hours and out of trouble in general. The real world is a scary place. This game is a better example than most of a way you can air out whatever frustration you might have and relieve your stress, and I pretty strongly believe that it's probably not the worst hobby for one to have if they're trying to stay out of trouble. I don't know what that means for a politician and it might hurt her productivity here and there, but I do know that it'll keep her preoccupied enough to avoid whatever scandals might ruin her career. This website and smear-campaign is just absurd.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]