Santiaga 2012

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
Yeah, that's pretty damn lame. But welcome to the land of Dirty, Dirty Politics.

And proud Conservative Republican. Only Liberals chose the Alliance :P

Pardon me?
90 Tauren Paladin
She's not even 90.
I am, along with a group of friends who play and quest together, laughing at this.

It's what happens when you are all over 45 (and many over 50), established professionally, successful in your careers AND you happen to love playing WoW.

Ugly facts are that you level slower (only two of us are running toons over 85 SO FAR) because you play less. But you DO play. You do it to keep your mind sharp. You do it to blow off steam. You do it because it is, usually, way more fun and just as mentally healthy as...say...crossword puzzles.

And when you cross paths with other business (and government) professionals who play you are instantly bonded. Recently I was delighted when talking to the head of business development in a large local company to learn he was a WoW player - who actually NAILED the murloc sound during our conversation.

God knows we do a lot more than play WoW - but we do play. And when you young'uns cross paths with us in a job interview we'll understand the potential of your skills and work ethic in a way many can't.

Because most of us have been working for more than 30 years...and we've been around more than Azeroth.
90 Undead Death Knight
Santiaga for president!!!!!!!!!!!!
90 Night Elf Rogue
My question would be; would these Republicans make such a big deal if she were a Human Paladin?

They'd still want her to lose the election, so YES. It might've been slightly harder for them to generate this level of sensation by showing a picture of a more heroic looking figure, but I think they'd still have considered a slightly less sticky mudball to be worth throwing.
85 Human Warlock
10/05/2012 08:22 AMPosted by Skjellyfetti
---mow your parents lawn, or the old lady down the street.... it doesnt have to be exciting

Please don't mow the old lady down the street. She's very nice and makes cookies for the nice children in the neighborhood.

lol.
90 Dwarf Priest
Part of what irks me about this is the whole "alter ego" thing. Like she's living in another world.
I know the graphics have gotten better, but I've never considered myself *in* the game, whether I was a Dwarven priest or an Italian plumber.

Look at her guild activity. She's got a lifetime of 82428. That's way less than most of her guildies have done in a week. I realize this is an exceptional week with MoP, but that number is still pretty low. Also the gear is barely heroic stuff. I see no troll heroics gear or dragon soul. No honor record, so no PVP.

Frankly, she doesn't play much....at least not on that toon. :P
90 Tauren Warrior
This goes beyond politics though, try listing "gaming" as a hobby on your resume, and see what you get asked in an interview. Companies are looking for people who play MMO's (specifically World of Warcraft) and using it to filter candidates. It's sad, but true. This is just another case of that. I don't specifically list "gaming" on my resume, but nor would I work for any company that's going to even ask me about it. What I do outside the office on my time is really none of their business.
90 Undead Priest
Yeah, that's pretty damn lame. But welcome to the land of Dirty, Dirty Politics.

And proud Conservative Republican. Only Liberals chose the Alliance :P

Wrong. Liberal Horde, here.

I've actually noticed that many people on my server, Horde side (I don't play Alliance, I wouldn't know about them) are liberal. Soooo.....
Edited by Apnoea on 10/5/2012 10:06 AM PDT
90 Tauren Warrior
Have you guys read some of the things she has said on the internet?

I could care less that she plays WoW, but some of that stuff is just plain stupid for anyone to say... let alone someone who had plans of running for office.

This was kind of my take away. Playing WoW in your spare time, who cares, it's her personal time. Making comments in a public forum, that's a whole different ball game.
90 Dwarf Paladin
10/05/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Supersquid
She's not even 90.

She is probably kind of busy at the moment!

(If only trying to work out how Obama managed to fall down so badly in the debate).
90 Draenei Shaman
i love the american sentiment of throwing stones at ppl when you live in a glass house. a lot of people on here denigrating on someone for doing something they enjoy which happens to be the same thing you are all enjoying here. you want politicians that don't play wow? then maybe you shouldn't be on here either.
90 Human Paladin
Not voting for a Horde.
85 Human Warlock
10/05/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Hendal
i love the american sentiment of throwing stones at ppl when you live in a glass house. a lot of people on here denigrating on someone for doing something they enjoy which happens to be the same thing you are all enjoying here. you want politicians that don't play wow? then maybe you shouldn't be on here either.

whoa, american sentiment? where did that come from?

and generally i would want Senators to conduct themselves better than i would (not that Wow has anything to do with it.)
90 Night Elf Hunter
I gives a rats !@# what she does in her spare time. That doesnt take away from her being a public servant to her community and state. I hope she wins and im not a Democrat
85 Orc Death Knight
why is there political commentary in wow general forums ? bias yes please forums mods remove these types of post let them take it to the correct avenue of discussion.

I play wow to get away from the bs in the world i don't need to hear about it 24/7.

Whoa there, pardner. This isn't a "political commentary".

It's in the WoW General forum because it's about people using the fact that someone plays WoW against her in real life. It's relevant to every single one of us who plays this game.
Edited by Perky on 10/5/2012 3:03 PM PDT
90 Draenei Priest
Hey I'm a conservative, but conservatism in the rest of the world is not like it is in the United States.

Who cares if politicians play video games, as this generation gets older more of us will be entering positions of greater power and it won't be seen as very weird. I'm 24, and I see both girls and boys of varying social status playing video games. It's a downtime thing, but right now people of the 40-70 ages for the most part see it as a shady weird activity.

That will change.

Anyone else remember one of Obama's aids admitting he played WoW? No one jumped down his throat about it.
90 Night Elf Mage
i think i would prefer it if politicians spend their time doing other things.
call me old fashioned i guess

So strictly golf and prostitutes then?
85 Orc Death Knight
Yeah, I notice there's another thread about this that is almost completely political in nature.

I want to stress that the point here isn't Santiaga's (Colleen's) political stances. Nor is it the political affiliation of the group that put up this website libeling her (The Republican Party of Maine).

The point is that this yet another shot in the anti-WoW, anti-gamer battle that a small fraction of people in the political sphere seem to be fighting. One that has blown up to garner a lot of attention because it's trying to use someone's hobby against her in a political campaign.

To me, it wouldn't matter if it was a Democratic group that were doing it to a Republican candidate or anything else. That's beside the point.

The point is, playing a game like WoW doesn't make you unfit for, well, any job. In fact, in a job interview, your hobbies typically will not come up. They aren't really fair game for an interview unless you bring them up yourself. Similarly, doing something innocuous like playing WoW (or playing soccer, or golf, or knitting, or learning foreign languages) should not be something that is used against you to get a job, or in a political campaign.

But more specifically, this is an attack on our collective hobby. This is characterizing us as some set of deviants. I'm a thirty year old with a full time job, a PhD, a spouse, a cat, and a home. WoW is a personal diversion that I enjoy. What I don't want is for it to be used against me in an election or when trying to get a job, as it is at worst irrelevant towards how I would perform my job (and, in fact, evidence shows that it would actually be likely to make me a better worker).
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]