Santiaga 2012

(Locked)

54 Pandaren Monk
i am a conservative and would cross party lines to vote for her if i lived in Maine

The greater reality is some day we are going to have a president that is or was a gamer and also had a history of online forum postings or an online persona. People should view her forum posts in the context that they are about playing a game and are done with a screen name.

I am calling blizzard on the phone to ask them to make a statement in support of her run for state senate and condemning these attacks against her.
90 Pandaren Monk
I know most people don't understand that fun or skill of playing a game. I guess those in the Republican party have not nearly the imagination or creativity that gamers have. I remember a short while back that some world class gamers figured out a major math problem in a few hours which had not been solved by computers working on it for years.
I am for Santiaga as she must like to solve problems in the same way that we do who play the game. Solving problems creatively is what we need in a politician. You go girl!
90 Dwarf Shaman
Totally conservative, totally against 90% of liberal ideas, totally FOR this woman doing just what she wants with her free time. Whose business it if she wants to play WOW? Now, if you want to talk about her choice of faction, well, over that we can have a nice fight, ha ha. For the Alliance! As a conservative (not a republican, just a conservative,) who takes politics very seriously, this GOP attack is plain silly and very embarrassing. Is this the best you have? Really? UHG! Egg on the face of Republicans, for sure.
27 Tauren Paladin
/facepalm
90 Troll Rogue
10/04/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Spiteful
people trying to make a real impact shouldnt kill much time at all, let alone 20 hours a week.

If you check out her activity feed, she really hasn't been on since January, if her GS didn't tell you that.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Running for political office or just getting a job should not be like meeting St. Peter at the pearly gates of heaven. I'm sure we all want to keep our jobs or to get jobs someday and not have video game talk and every little swear word and hyperbole we've ever used online held against us.

I'd have to compromise my values or do some logical contortions before I could support a candidate from an organization that demonizes its opposition candidate for playing WoW in her free time. Way to try to cast: Distract from the issues, Maine Republican Party.
90 Draenei Death Knight
This site infantilizes Colleen by using denigrating descriptions like "make-believe land Azeroth" and apparently suggesting that "the average WoW gamer" is an immature 28 year old who spends too much of his or her free time playing World of Warcraft.

I would take the rest of what you said seriously IF you hadn't misconstrued the web page you refer to.

10/04/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Perky
http://www.colleensworld.com/

And your focus was only on the very first part of the web page. What about the rest? I first noticed this info from an ABC News post (anything WoW catches my attention).
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/maine-candidates-world-of-warcraft-persona-stirs-debate/

Republicans in the state maintain that their criticism of Lachowicz is not about the fact that she plays the game, rather it’s based on the comments made by her alter-ego.

“This is not about her playing video games, this is about the comments she made while gaming,” David Sorenson, communications director for the Maine Republican party, told ABC News, referring to the comments about Norquist, as well as things said about other Republicans. “These are all things that are unbecoming to a state Senator.”

Is saying that you want to drown someone in their bathtub acceptable? (sorry - at least I don't remember any quest line on Alliance side having anything like that). Most everything after you page down has very little to do with WoW (other than her wanting to slacking away, not to do work, and just play while on Medicare). If any other US Senator or Representative left comments like that - they would find themselves meeting their respective Ethics committee.
And the only reason I saw your post is that I was originally looking to see what realm she was on so I could see about PWNING her.
As has been mentioned before it is not just because the woman plays WoW. The fact is she made public comments inappropriate for anyone running for public office. No one running for a political position should ever publish the fact they would rather be playing a video game than doing their job.
85 Human Priest
'Sean Smith, a State Department official killed in the US consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya, was involved in a fascinating experiment in online/offline governance EVE Online is a fascinating experiment in online + offline governance in the game of 'EVE Online.' His parallel diplomacy was memorialized by hundreds of gamers.'

His in-game name was 'Vile Rat'.

Don't you just hate these people that play games on their own time?

Pray for them...and, then get a life. ;)
85 Human Paladin
10/06/2012 08:14 AMPosted by Wu
As has been mentioned before it is not just because the woman plays WoW. The fact is she made public comments inappropriate for anyone running for public office. No one running for a political position should ever publish the fact they would rather be playing a video game than doing their job.

. . . ppl may think WoW is a way to get away from the stresses of the day and let your hair out . . . but sir, you clearly demonstrate that the douchebags are everywhere . . .
90 Pandaren Monk
This is like that time PETA went after Mario for dressing up as a raccoon and then claimed it was a joke.

Except nobody seems to be claiming it's a joke.
90 Blood Elf Mage
I don't like bringing politics into games, it's a fantasy world for a reason and RL issues should stay out Imo. I am a conservative but to be honest, the current GOP Establishment is really starting to irritate me. What someone does, including comments made about an online fantasy game is NOT an issue to bring into a political race. Political figures are human too and are allowed to have personal life within the law. I would vote for her just to piss off the GOP in Maine. Certain aspects of a persons personal life are off limits and this is one of them.
I'm a registered republican and I approve of this game. If you don't maybe you don't want my vote.
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm a 31 year-old 5th grade teacher. For the last two years, my guildies have followed me through my college adventure. I'm the coolest person to my students because I CAN relate to them and what they like to do. I'm typically on WoW for a battleground maybe three times a week. I believe WoW has taught me how to be a better teacher. WoW is constructed just like a classroom. I let my students socialize so they are able to learn from peers, I let students go about their own way in making meaning of a learning content or skill, I track student achievements, I let students work in groups where each person has a different role and let them experiment with each role (leader, note-taker, writer, etc.), and lastly, letting my students retry an objective if they fail (they can redo work, for a better grade).
90 Human Rogue
/console carelevel 0
85 Worgen Death Knight
10/06/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Ikadiir
Is saying that you want to drown someone in their bathtub acceptable? (sorry - at least I don't remember any quest line on Alliance side having anything like that). Most everything after you page down has very little to do with WoW (other than her wanting to slacking away, not to do work, and just play while on Medicare). If any other US Senator or Representative left comments like that - they would find themselves meeting their respective Ethics committee.

The comment she made was a derivation of one made by Norquist's want to drown Obamacare in a bathtub.
General Discussion is not the place to discuss politics.
90 Night Elf Druid
It's fair game if she is posting her WOW updates on her political blog. She is the one injecting it into her political world so you have to expect whoever she is up against to use it.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]