[Dear tanks] Notes from a Mistweaver

90 Pandaren Monk
Last night I had an extreme version of a common Mistweaver experience. In a Shado-Pan Monastery run, a tank in full Dragon Soul heroic gear pulled two, three, four packs of trash mobs at a time, as a rule. He never waited for me when I had to sit down to get mana back, and he didn't bother to do things such as not standing in black circles of death. Likewise, he never bothered to juke 5 feet left or right to absorb free heals from green balls of healing.

Now, I won't call myself an amazing monk healer. Not yet. I've only been playing the class for a week. But as I struggled to keep up with the pace this pro internet warrior, I spent most of my time OOM or dead (because I was OOM), and the rest of the group spent a lot of time popping cooldowns and trying not to die. Mr Pro Tank raged at me a bunch, called me useless, and ragequit the group after he pulled an entire hallway of about two dozen mobs while I was about 20% mana at the start of the fight, and died.

Tanks, let me fill you in on a few things. Just between us girls.

[1] I'm a monk. I didn't exist prior to a week ago. I'm learning how to play a new class that happens to be a pretty fun, but also a fairly complex healer. The only way I'm going to learn to become a good monk healer is to heal people like you in leveling instances, over and over. I'm going to fail sometimes, because I'm still learning how it all works.

Do you really want me to arrive at 90 with no clue how to do my job? You'd really be mad then, I bet. Better I practice now, when it doesn't count, then later when you're really depending on me in a raid or heroic or challenge mode.

[2] I'm wearing GREENS and QUEST BLUES, and many of those pieces don't have my most crucial stat on them, which is Spirit. Why don't they have Spirit? Because it's leveling quest reward gear that I have to share with DPS classes who don't need Spirit, and there are way more DPSers than healers, as a rule, especially when leveling.

My mana regen sucks donkey balls right now, dudes. It's true. I run out of mana on long fights or on bursty fights as a rule, trash and bosses both. I struggle to keep up with incoming damage while also managing three resource systems: MANA, CHI, and MANA TEA. That's three resource pools to your simple one pool of Rage or Runes (Yes, paladins, you have two. But it's not hard, is it?)

So cut your monk healer some slack, dudes. He's new, his gear is crap and as a result you can't pull Panda dungeons the way you did Cata heroics back when you were all overgeared and pulling everything in sight at the same time. The game LOOKS the same, but it's DIFFERENT. Capice?

At 90, in purples, it's going to be a different ballgame. I get the feeling that once my Spirit hits a certain threshold, and once I master the nuances of the class, I'm going to rock your socks. Until then---go easy on your Mistweavers.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
/wave hands

These are not the tanks you are looking for.

/drink
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
So, you had a bad tank on a class you're not used to playing, and instead of talking to him you're going passive aggressive on the rest of us?

These are not the tanks you're looking for.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, you had a bad tank on a class you're not used to playing, and instead of talking to him you're going passive aggressive on the rest of us?

No, sorry, you didn't read closely enough. I'll quote myself and you can chew on it---I thought by opening with the exact reason I was posting, that you'd understand why I was posting. My bad!

Last night I had an extreme version of a common Mistweaver experience.
Edited by Fatcobra on 10/5/2012 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/05/2012 01:01 PMPosted by Fatcobra

No, sorry, you didn't read closely enough. I'll quote myself and you can chew on it---I thought by opening with the exact reason I was posting, that you'd understand why I was posting. My bad!

Last night I had an extreme version of a common Mistweaver experience.

You also had a secondary clause into the actual subject matter of your post, right here.
10/05/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Fatcobra
Tanks, let me fill you in on a few things. Just between us girls.

Lumping the tanks together, because of a bad experience.

These are not the tanks you're looking for.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Whatever. Your sour grapes isn't my problem.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/05/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Fatcobra

I believe that's the same sentiment most of us are having to your thread.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior

But yours are ours apparently?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
/wave hands

/drink

^this.

Your points are quite valid, however, you have missed your target audience.

The tanks posting in these forums will realize that if they pull when their healer isn't ready then they only have themselves to blame.

A lot of us will ask a PuG healer at what percentage of your mana should we stop pulling. We'll also look at the healer's gear as a guideline on how fast we should pull.

The reason you have gotten poor responses is because this forum gets dps and healers telling us things we have heard before on a fairly regular basis.

Imagine if the healer forums had a new post from a tank on a semi-weekly basis telling you something that as a reader of the healer forums you already know. Then you see another thread starting post saying pretty much the same thing as before but posted by completely different tank.

It might get rather old fast.
Edited by Fangthane on 10/5/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
/wave hands

/drink

^this.

Your points are quite valid, however, you have missed your target audience.

The tanks posting in these forums will realize that if they pull when their healer isn't ready then they only have themselves to blame.

A lot of us will ask a PuG healer at what percentage of your mana should we stop pulling. We'll also look at the healer's gear as a guideline on how fast we should pull.

The reason you have gotten poor responses is because this forum gets dps and healers telling us things we have heard before on a fairly regular basis.

Imagine if the healer forums had a new post from a tank on a semi-weekly basis telling you something that as a reader of the healer forums you already know. Then you see another thread starting post saying pretty much the same thing as before but posted by completely different tank.

It might get rather old fast.

Hey, look, someone being reasonable rather than jerky.

Thanks. I didn't realize that 100% of the tanks in this forum were experienced, rational pros inundated with the whines of the ignorant and uninitiated on a regular basis. Now I know.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
douchebags are douchebaggy.

Any tank worth a damned is not going to make it difficult for the healer.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock

Thanks. I didn't realize that 100% of the tanks in this forum were experienced, rational pros inundated with the whines of the ignorant and uninitiated on a regular basis. Now I know.

Man, with the sarcasm you exude I can't imagine why you're unable to have a rational discussion with your tank along the lines of "hold up a bit, I'm still getting the hang of mistweaver".

Passive aggression at its finest. I have no patience for passive aggression.
Edited by Rijdot on 10/5/2012 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
douchebags are douchebaggy.

Any tank worth a damned is not going to make it difficult for the healer.

Yeah. I just thought, after numerous similar dungeon finder experiences with tanks, it might be worthwhile to clarify that monk healers aren't priests in full raid gear from the last expansion. Which many of the tanks I've been grouped with seem to think, based on behavior.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you have a problem with an specific tank, talk to him.

While it's fun to vent on the forums, it wont fix anything.

The tanking forum regulars try to help by providing guides .. we even answear when people show up here with silly questions .. shocking, I know.

But we can't fix all the tanks.

If you had a problem with one, talk to him, because it's unlikely he'll ever show up here, so your point will be moot.

Imagine if I went on the dps or healer forums for every single time I got a bad dpser/healer and posted a "dear dpsers"...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Man, with the sarcasm you exude I can't imagine why you're unable to have a rational discussion with your tank along the lines of "hold up a bit, I'm still getting the hang of mistweaver".

I'm pretty patient in-group. But you're pretty annoying, so I'm a little sarcastic right now, yeah.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/05/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Fatcobra
I'm pretty patient in-group. But you're pretty annoying, so I'm a little sarcastic right now, yeah.

Refusing to address a problem out of stubbornness and patience are not the same thing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/05/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Rijdot

Refusing to address a problem out of stubbornness and patience are not the same thing.

Not sure what you mean. I'm addressing it right now, here, in this thread.

It's interesting that you think I'm being passive-aggressive. I'm really not. My first post was flippant and subsequent posts sarcastic. Not the same thing.

But I'm sure it won't change your opinion, since I guess I'm just wrong about everything. (<---- This is what a passive-aggressive statement looks like.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you have a problem with an specific tank, talk to him.

While it's fun to vent on the forums, it wont fix anything.

The tanking forum regulars try to help by providing guides .. we even answear when people show up here with silly questions .. shocking, I know.

But we can't fix all the tanks.

If you had a problem with one, talk to him, because it's unlikely he'll ever show up here, so your point will be moot.

Imagine if I went on the dps or healer forums for every single time I got a bad dpser/healer and posted a "dear dpsers"...

I speak to particular tanks when I can (when they slow down long enough for me to type without getting someone killed), but I wanted a broader audience than the dozen guys who I've randomly grouped with via dungeon finder.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You want to TL;DR this? Skip to the bottom.

He never waited for me when I had to sit down to get mana back, and he didn't bother to do things such as not standing in black circles of death.

Both of these are him being bad.

Likewise, he never bothered to juke 5 feet left or right to absorb free heals from green balls of healing.

When things are crowded (such as 4, 5 packs of trash), a bigger concern is keeping things in front of the tank. That, and those green balls can get lost in the throng of mobs. That, and people that are colorblind may not know they're there. I know I don't go chasing every green glob a Mistweaver puts out.

[2] I'm wearing GREENS and QUEST BLUES, and many of those pieces don't have my most crucial stat on them, which is Spirit. Why don't they have Spirit? Because it's leveling quest reward gear that I have to share with DPS classes who don't need Spirit, and there are way more DPSers than healers, as a rule, especially when leveling.

My mana regen sucks donkey balls right now, dudes. It's true. I run out of mana on long fights or on bursty fights as a rule, trash and bosses both. I struggle to keep up with incoming damage while also managing three resource systems: MANA, CHI, and MANA TEA. That's three resource pools to your simple one pool of Rage or Runes (Yes, paladins, you have two. But it's not hard, is it?)

In time you'll get both better gear to alleviate this problem, and learn to anticipate incoming damage on tanks so you can better manage all of these resources. And yes, we have two. No, it's not hard. And I doubt, ultimately, the three you have is vastly more difficult. You're just not used to it.

With allllll of that said...

/wave hands

/drink
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/05/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Fatcobra
Not sure what you mean. I'm addressing it right now, here, in this thread.

Except you're not, and you still don't get that. You are taking a problem you've had with one bad tank and are complaining to other people about it.

It's interesting that you think I'm being passive-aggressive. I'm really not. My first post was flippant and subsequent posts sarcastic. Not the same thing.

But I'm sure it won't change your opinion, since I guess I'm just wrong about everything. (<---- This is what a passive-aggressive statement looks like.)

So does this.

10/05/2012 01:54 PMPosted by Fatcobra
I speak to particular tanks when I can (when they slow down long enough for me to type without getting someone killed), but I wanted a broader audience than the dozen guys who I've randomly grouped with via dungeon finder.

For what purpose? Congratulations. You've managed to tell the tanks who congregate on tanking forums to discuss tanking that pulling when a healer has 20% mana is a bad idea.

What did you honestly think you were accomplishing?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]