[Dear tanks] Notes from a Mistweaver

90 Pandaren Monk

In time you'll get both better gear to alleviate this problem, and learn to anticipate incoming damage on tanks so you can better manage all of these resources. And yes, we have two. No, it's not hard. And I doubt, ultimately, the three you have is vastly more difficult. You're just not used to it.

I've played everything but a lock over the years, including after the big changes in Cata, and I can honestly say that, yes, while it's new and I"m learning, the 3 pools are definitely more complicated. Not rocket science complicated, no, but there's a constant lower-level conversation I have to have with myself while healing: do I spend mana to build chi now? Do I spend this chi I have built up, or save it for incoming spike damage? If I don't expend it, I won't build stacks of mana tea and I might run out of mana later in the fight. If I do expend it, I'll need to spend more mana to build more chi to generate more tea. And, finally, is now a good time to drink tea to get mana back, or should I wait until later or in the next fight?

It's a surprisingly complicated series of little decisions that add up in a big way and pretty much defines the mistweaver spec. The best monk healers will be those who master the interplay between the three resources. I'm definitely not there yet.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/05/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Rijdot
Except you're not, and you still don't get that. You are taking a problem you've had with one bad tank and are complaining to other people about it.

You're still failing reading comprehension 101, bro. Seriously. I didn't have a single bad experience and then march off to the forums to whine about it. As I indicated in my OP, I noticed a trend and wanted to address it.

I swear, I feel like I'm arguing with Mitt Romney.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you have a problem with an specific tank, talk to him.

While it's fun to vent on the forums, it wont fix anything.

The tanking forum regulars try to help by providing guides .. we even answear when people show up here with silly questions .. shocking, I know.

But we can't fix all the tanks.

If you had a problem with one, talk to him, because it's unlikely he'll ever show up here, so your point will be moot.

Imagine if I went on the dps or healer forums for every single time I got a bad dpser/healer and posted a "dear dpsers"...

I speak to particular tanks when I can (when they slow down long enough for me to type without getting someone killed), but I wanted a broader audience than the dozen guys who I've randomly grouped with via dungeon finder.

I understand your intention. But most people that visit the tank foruns are either experienced tanks discussing things or new/more casual tanks that already have a good idea of how to behave.

That chances of you actually hitting your "intended" targets (aka bad tanks that screw instances because of their attitude) in this forum is minimal.

Simply because those guys don't even enter here lol .
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
You're still failing reading comprehension 101, bro. Seriously. I didn't have a single bad experience and then march off to the forums to whine about it. As I indicated in my OP, I noticed a trend and wanted to address it.

Is this really the core of your problem? You haven't inferred yet that perhaps multiple bad tanks exist? Or did you think I believed there was just the one?

You may have had multiple poor experiences, but this one was the crux that caused you to come rushing to the forums. This one was the final catalyst.

I'm going to say it again, one more time.

These are not the tanks you're looking for.

The tanks you're looking for likely don't research, don't seek to improve themselves. They likely don't even read the forums, much less frequent them.

You. Are. In. The. Wrong. Place.

edit: somehow managed to double post that in one post. derp?
Edited by Rijdot on 10/5/2012 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I understand your intention. But most people that visit the tank foruns are either experienced tanks discussing things or new/more casual tanks that already have a good idea of how to behave.

That chances of you actually hitting your "intended" targets (aka bad tanks that screw instances because of their attitude) in this forum is minimal.

Simply because those guys don't even enter here lol .

*waves hands in surrender*

Alright, alright! Message received. Bad tanks don't peruse the tanking forum. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Well, that's not entire true. Bad tanks DO come here. Then one of two things happens:

1. They leave in disgust after having their butts handed to them on a platter.
2. They fix what they're doing and are no longer bad tanks.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Well, that's not entire true. Bad tanks DO come here. Then one of two things happens:

1. They leave in disgust after having their butts handed to them on a platter.
2. They fix what they're doing and are no longer bad tanks.

There have been threads started by tanks who think that just because they're a tank they're gods gift to WoW because of their short dungeon queues....

And that if they post ridiculous bull-feces in here it'll be accepted by the regular posters.

Boy it's fun to watch them get torn a new one.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Holy rage, batman. Guys, seriously, calm the frick down. The op's post was, imo, calm, reasoned, and unprovocative. If you don't tank like the person the OP is complaining about, then this thread is not for you. You don't need to unleash buckets of nerdrage on the guy. If you think the post was offensive, you maaay be projecting a lil' bit.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/05/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Sindaur
Holy rage, batman. Guys, seriously, calm the frick down. The op's post was, imo, calm, reasoned, and unprovocative. If you don't tank like the person the OP is complaining about, then this thread is not for you. You don't need to unleash buckets of nerdrage on the guy. If you think the post was offensive, you maaay be projecting a lil' bit.

I think you misunderstand me.

I wasn't offended by his post's content. I was irritated by it existing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think you misunderstand me.

I wasn't offended by his post's content. I was irritated by it existing.

Oh, in that case, get over yourself.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I havent done this in a LONG LONG TIME!!!

Since 3.3 launched and the new LFG tool was introduced, people everywhere have experienced a bad pug and taken it upon themselves to "educate" the various roles. They rush to the tanking forums, the healing forums, or the damage dealing forums and promptly start pissing in the proverbial wind.

All three role forums have been treated to such thread titles as "dear healers from your tank", "dear tanks from your healer", "dear damage dealers" and every variation in between. We get it, it's adorable that you have anointed yourself the educator of the masses but that isn't what these forums are for..... and it's getting old.

/drink
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
THERE'S THE POST.

/saves
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Why on earth was this dude still wearing his H DS gear?

Thats the part of the story that still leaves me baffled.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Well... until last night, I was wearing H:DS gear myself... didn't know a blacksmith that had the recipes, and there weren't any on the AH.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Fatcobra
Oh, in that case, get over yourself.

Likewise. You realize how your humorless replies meant to cut us down actually work both ways right? You are cluttering up the forum with nonsense arm-chair advice with information that is already covered in great detail in the stickies or is simply common sense like "Be nice."

Bonus points for using the phrase "reading comprehension" in quite possibly the most ironic way ever (ie you fail at understanding anything contrary to your post but claim others fail to understand you). What you type and what you think you are typing may not actually line up, hence the passive aggressive defensiveness to everything, but that would be a case of failing to write properly, not read.

Also you're only likely to be drilled further for throwing in the political left appeal as some sort of universal insult on the internet. Most of us don't give a damn what political side you stand provided you don't bring it here as any sort of real source of comparison.

If you wanted to give genuine advice, you did so in such a horrid manner that no one is going to take it, even if it is spot on. And furthermore, your advice is old hat news... so yeah. /shoo
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
Dear Tanks:

We apologize for letting the bad healer out. No one knows how he escaped his cage and managed to end up on these forums. Sorry for the mess he may have caused in the interim.

With love,
Mistweavers who don't suck at their class and know how to properly use the class role forums.

P.S. #Romney2k12
Edited by Aureus on 10/5/2012 8:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I can see that. You're getting trashed in a debate after all.

I've noticed a trend too. Players who come to the tanking forum to whine about tanks who never visit tanking forums. It's bizarre.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Educate me in mistweavers mana regen.

I notice you have 1800 spirit. Most of the healers were pushing 4-5k spirit in 384-410 gear (classes and builds vary.) I am constantly low on mana at 6k spirit with a nifty mana proc trinket/potions.

Is there some talent that allows mistweavers to forgo spirit?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
As a tank I would say if they pull 1 time when low on mana say hey I need mana. Second time I would sit there and let him die and when he complains say "I told you I needed mana".

If he or group kicks so be it your heals and have low que times.

Why would you want to stay in a group like that anyway.

And last thing some tanks are BAD some healers are BAD and some dps are BAD, if you can make it through with them cool if not you can put on ignore and/or leave so you shouldn't see them again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]