Who's the fastest tank(class)?

86 Undead Priest
Post your opinion, I'm curious to hear people discuss their perspectives. I think Monk/warrior and maybe bears hold the edge here because of roll and charge. With all the changes I'm just curious of the general consensus of tank class vs speed.
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Paladin
The only tanking classes without a speed boost are death knights (unless you count On a Pale Horse). Paladins specced into Long Arm of the Law can move at a pretty smooth pace.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
At 3 HOPO, I go pretty fast. Its more reliable than warrior charge too as it doesn't need a target and doesn't initiate.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Actually DKs have Death's Advance to run quicker and Death grip and Gorefiend's grasp at 90 to pull mobs to you. No insta charge or jump but u do move to and make mobs move faster to you.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Priest
Thanks for the replies guys. I hopped on my 85 pally and started digging through all the changes. I picked the genaric 15% speed boost, haven't tried a dungeon with him in a while forgot about the talent. I suppose all classes move fast enough as long as they hold aoe agro. I've been having trouble deciding which tank to level. I love the warrior changes but I also think they streamlined the pally changes to be smoother. The only downside I see to pally tank right now is there apparent low dps as compared to other tanks. That and I don't have my beloved charge :(
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Paladin dmg is lower. But we have a few fun perks.

1. We move at 30% with 3 HOPOs and this is awesome fun.
2. We get a big flash of light crit (which is amazing combined with selfless healer) on kill
3. We still have one divine shield // Lay on hands
4. We get to use haste as a tank to lower our CDs. (This is really fun)
5. We get to play with seal twisting more than before (all 3 are fun)
6. We has infinite mana
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
probably druids, since we can change to cat form and move 25% faster in between groups with a big gap and charge for the groups closer together. If you spec into feral swiftness instead of charge thats 15% increase in movement speed at all times. On top of that you would probably enchant your boots with +agi and movement speed. Makes for one fast manbearcat.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I assume you're talking about 5 mans. In that case, DA + Pandaren's Step + Grip + current Blood DK dps = DK's being the fastest tank from pull to pull.
Edited by Jínxs on 10/6/2012 12:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
They're all fairly mobile, but Id go with Blood DK just because of their DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
10/05/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Donnattello
The only tanking classes without a speed boost are death knights (unless you count On a Pale Horse). Paladins specced into Long Arm of the Law can move at a pretty smooth pace.

Death's Advance...?
Druid's gotta be the fastest. You can hit 150% or higher in Cat Form. Throw in Dash and you probably move at mount speed.
Edited by Bbqsauce on 10/6/2012 4:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is there any debate other than to say druids? Everyone else is just fighting over second place.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You want to be fast but not too fast, or your healer can't catch up. 30% HOPO speed is ideal imo.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Priest
You have a valid debate Hatsune; however, the 30% boost is only available if you hold onto holy power, which is not ideal. I have been playing around with my prot pally and he seems to move 'fast enough.' I agree with the 30% one could after gaining confident aggro, use the boosted speed to move to the next pull if it is close. I do see how it could be useful but in my perspective it appears to be situational. I know that is the general point of everything in the game these days lol but the overall awareness and understanding of game mechanics has grown considerably within the general demographic of the casual players.

My friend plays bear tank religiously and he did not spec charge (though I would have just because...I luv charge!,) though he claims he moves very fast through dungeons. He does use catform to get to the next group and moves quickly. Also, after reading the cooldown for bear, their charge is now only 15seconds. That has been significantly reduced though I haven't tanked with my bear in a couple years now :(

The next perspective is of DK's and their dps. That is a good debate as well. I know DK's do very respectable aoe dmg which would be needed to run a fast 5man dungeon. I would love to see a youtube challenge to see who could do it faster.
Edited by Artrayas on 10/6/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Honestly, if I had to choose: Death Knight.

Death Knight are pretty much the only classes that auto-regenerate their resources (outside of monk). They can simply Death Strike once or twice, Blood Boil, and keep running while having mitigation. In addition, they have an AoE slow if they allow their frost fever to provide slow. The only other tanking class to have an AoE slow is Druid. This allows them to frontload a bunch of threat on each mob, then run to the next mob while the rest of the party runs and DPSes the slow mobs.

Warriors/Paladins/Druids have to hit targets a bit to gain enough rage/HP to use their active mitigation ability.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Paladin dmg is lower. But we have a few fun perks.

1. We move at 30% with 3 HOPOs and this is awesome fun.
2. We get a big flash of light crit (which is amazing combined with selfless healer) on kill
3. We still have one divine shield // Lay on hands
4. We get to use haste as a tank to lower our CDs. (This is really fun)
5. We get to play with seal twisting more than before (all 3 are fun)
6. We has infinite mana

oddly enough good paladins are posting the highest WoL right now above Blood DKs
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
With vengeance, sure. Without vengeance it's agonizing.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
10/06/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Mnemonic

Why would anyone care about tank damage without vengeance?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
10/06/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Artrayas
The next perspective is of DK's and their dps. That is a good debate as well. I know DK's do very respectable aoe dmg which would be needed to run a fast 5man dungeon. I would love to see a youtube challenge to see who could do it faster.

You don't need youtube, just look at the current challenge mode standings.

brb hiding from nerfbat.
/wave
/s These are not the Death Knight's you are looking for.
Edited by Jínxs on 10/6/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Why would anyone care about tank damage without vengeance?

Whenever i'm doing my dailies, questing or in solo I care.

You have a valid debate Hatsune; however, the 30% boost is only available if you hold onto holy power, which is not ideal

You can store 5 and on trash, by the time the pull is nearly over with 1-2 straggling mobs left its time to hold on to it. When the last mob falls, that 5 HOPO should get you safely to the next mob pull, a little ahead of the team, with time to put down a shield of righteousness and get a threat lead just before the rest of the team catch up.
Edited by Hatsune on 10/6/2012 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Worgen druids have three types of sprints, two charges, and a natural speed increase through either cat or, if you're willing to lose the charge, feline swiftness.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]