Crit over Mastery as Disc?

90 Gnome Priest
Something I've been thinking over with our recent kills. Would it not be more advantageous to swap to crit over mastery now that PW:S is quite inefficient to use. With the amount of spirit available, PW:S cannot be spammed like the old days. It feels more like a Flash Heal which must be avoided unless needed to give someone a health buffer.

With the amount of health pools people have, it seems like crit might be nicer as a mana conservation tool to supplement spirit. What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I am certainly inclined to agree with you, since crit allows you to double-dip on PoH. It is very easy to create massive shields, especially when used in conjunction with Spirit Shell to prevent huge incoming spikes of damage. That being said, I am still not completely convinced that trying to get inconsistent bursts of throughput outweighs being able to throw out more consistent heals. I would love to hear some others weigh in on this, PW:S certainly costs enough how that it is difficult to justify spirit/mastery builds we saw in Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
crit has always been the right stats for disc to begin with but because people hate to bet on chance it becomes underminded so people just go with preference.

mastery use to be good but dispel makes it poor now

crit = less mana usage

crit = more aegis proc

crit= more bigger heals

disc = pvp: spirit/resil/crit/mastery/pvp power/haste pve: spirit/mastery/crit/haste

holy = pvp: resil/spirit/mastery/haste/pvp power/crit pve: spirit/mastery/haste/crit

shadow = pvp: resil/haste/mastery/pvp power/spirit/crit pve: spirit/haste/mastery/crit/

these stat priorties are appropriate for each spec depending on what you're doing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
According to threads on EJ and mmoc, double-dipping on aegis has been removed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/05/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Vidocin
since crit allows you to double-dip on PoH.

No longer a thing.

Problem with Disc at the moment is they basically bring one thing: absorbs. Their sustained output in comparison to to other specs is pretty lame. DA is weaker with the crit nerf, PW:S is ghastly expensive. Spirit Shell is kind of their saving grace, but it interacts poorly with other talents and can be awkward to set up.

As I see it, a Disc Priest who isn't doing everything they can to increase their absorbs at the moment might as well go Holy, because those absorbs are the only thing you can have to justify staying Disc. So stack Mastery.
Edited by Nixx on 10/5/2012 10:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thank you for clarifying that for me, I was not aware that you could no longer double-dip on crit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
dispel will render it useless. no amount of insane absorbs from mastery is gonna help you.
crit plays a better roll in this day and age of wow.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You need to remember that Spirit Shell basically gives you 50% more healing for free when it's active with even ilvl 463 levels of mastery, so I seriously doubt crit is even worth considering at all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/05/2012 10:51 PMPosted by Nixx
As I see it, a Disc Priest who isn't doing everything they can to increase their absorbs at the moment might as well go Holy, because those absorbs are the only thing you can have to justify staying Disc.

By this logic we should all be stacking stamina to increase the cap on Spirit Shell.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've been seeing a lot of mastery drops and am stacking accordingly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/06/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Khendra
As I see it, a Disc Priest who isn't doing everything they can to increase their absorbs at the moment might as well go Holy, because those absorbs are the only thing you can have to justify staying Disc.

By this logic we should all be stacking stamina to increase the cap on Spirit Shell.

Was going to respond to this in a serious way but, instead, here's a really cute gif of a puppy: http://i.imgur.com/P04sV.gif
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/06/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Nixx
http://i.imgur.com/P04sV.gif

Yes, this is just about my reaction to this expansion so far. =D
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Glaius
crit has always been the right stats for disc to begin with but because people hate to bet on chance it becomes underminded so people just go with preference.

Renewed Hope was the main reason Crit wasn't stacked as Disc iirc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]