Getting used to Frost PvP

Checked Noxxic, icyveins and Mrrobot.
Still don't really get what to stack? Mastery? Also is there a soft crit cap I should hit for guaranteed shatter?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Not entirely sure since I haven't done Frost PvP for awhile.
I think the main stat is haste for Frost now.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Not sure haste will help? Since the only thing frost mages cast is frostbolt. I've been stacking crit for now, but not sure that's right even. I'm thinking I'll stay with the crit until I get the epic gear then I'll try mastery.
Reply Quote
Mastery/crit.

We can hardly chain cast anyways in arenas, so haste doesn't help at all except for faster bomb detonations that you can just use fireblast glyph for.

Mages don't do any damage outside of deep shatters anyways, so you want those shatters to hit like a truck.
Reply Quote
1) Noxxic is a peice of !@#$ never use it again

2) Haste is juicy since casting frostbolt is good again and Frostbomb benfits from haste and bla bla bla

3) You more or less wanna balance Haste and Mastery to the amount of haste your comfortable with and get more mastery for burstish stuff. But having jstu mastery won't work.

Hit rating is 4% I think. and Crit I wouldn't worry about much
Reply Quote
Xiun beat me to answering the thread.

But one question good sir Xiun...What the heck I thought you were like Haste loving. And stacking Haste? Was that just a dream of yours? Not viable anymore?
Reply Quote
It was my dream while doing random bgs at 85.

Doing arenas though makes me realize how pathetic a dream that is.

We do 0 damage outside of bomb deeps, so having faster frostbolts (that STILL hit like wet noodles) wouldn't benefit us at all, and would just make our strong point - burst- weaker.

Also, I loved haste a lot because of the quicker bomb countdowns, but with fireblast glyph or non stupid timing, haste becomes a non factor in it.

Mage overall though is just irritating and not fun to play at all. 20+ sec cds on our only 2 roots, with all the melee getaways along with full magic dispels makes kiting a nightmare.

Oh well, I'll stick with it until my warrior or priest hits 90.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I figured you'd come to your senses Xiun. Have you tried glyph of icy veins yet?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
It was my dream while doing random bgs at 85.

Doing arenas though makes me realize how pathetic a dream that is.

We do 0 damage outside of bomb deeps, so having faster frostbolts (that STILL hit like wet noodles) wouldn't benefit us at all, and would just make our strong point - burst- weaker.

Also, I loved haste a lot because of the quicker bomb countdowns, but with fireblast glyph or non stupid timing, haste becomes a non factor in it.

Mage overall though is just irritating and not fun to play at all. 20+ sec cds on our only 2 roots, with all the melee getaways along with full magic dispels makes kiting a nightmare.

Oh well, I'll stick with it until my warrior or priest hits 90.

You realize i told you this was the major hindrance with such a talent/glyph selection in 5.0.4 right?
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 04:19 PMPosted by Icelancealot
I figured you'd come to your senses Xiun. Have you tried glyph of icy veins yet?

Yes, it's wonky and I'm not sure how much I like it, but it seems fine. It's power will only increase as my mastery goes up.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Checked Noxxic, icyveins and Mrrobot.
Still don't really get what to stack? Mastery? Also is there a soft crit cap I should hit for guaranteed shatter?

Stack enough crit to get at least 75%+ crit (with shatter) and plenty of mastery. Haste is mostly important to reduce the cooldown on frost bomb (if that's your talent of choice).
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
10/06/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Jamlielle
Stack enough crit to get at least 75%+ crit (with shatter) and plenty of mastery. Haste is mostly important to reduce the cooldown on frost bomb (if that's your talent of choice).

Sorry, but you are wrong. Reforge the low end pieces to hit cap yourself. With the other pieces reforging haste and critical strike to mastery. Gem intellect in red, pvp power in blue and mastery in yellow.

Current level gear wont increase the dots of your NT or LB so its pointless. Gem bonus slots with using the proper gem negates using another gem.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 08:55 PMPosted by Mahdii
mastery in yellow.

You mean int/mastery or mastery/pvp right?

Right, thought so.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Hit (to cap) -> PvP Power -> Int -> Mastery -> Haste -> Crit
Copy my glyphs and talents

From there use frost bomb off CD try to have them frozen when it explodes for extra damage. still use shatter combos like in the other expansions.. Frost orb off CD as well. To be honest frost is pretty face roll right now its easier then it was in cata in my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage

You mean int/mastery or mastery/pvp right?

Right, thought so.

Here you go Xiun, from a month ago: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6471037598#9

I'll quote it for you:

With the mobility that healers have now and the abilities/talents of Hunters/Pallys our ability to stand still and free cast has diminished even further. Everything now for frost mages revolves around fingers of frost and brain freeze procs. By choosing Nether Tempest you can increase the brain freeze procs substantially to the point where it will occur at a higher rate than fingers of frost.
Reply Quote
Unrelated incorrect quote not talking about my point about incorrect gemming.

OK.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Unrelated incorrect quote not talking about my point about incorrect gemming.

OK.

Says the person who has cogwheeled for crit and reforged to crit. As a frost mage in PvP gear.....
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Priest
Xiun, you once told me fireblast glyph was dumb.

changed your mind huh
Reply Quote
Originally Xiun had told us that Fireblast glyph was meh and there were better options

But I think most mages have found that glyph being mandatory because of unreliablity

But ultimatly when trying to global somthing you don't "want" to use fireblast because its a waste of a GCD its best to be able to time your bomb to explode inside a deep or at the same time you drop the pet nova for your incoming frostbolt etc.

However that best time situation is not always possible :( so fireblast glyph is needed to be able to keep up consistant and reliable burst.

How much crit do you suggest getting?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
tl;dr all the posts above but yeah. HIT CAP > PVP POWER > MASTERY > CRIT SOFT CAP > HASTE as mush as id like to say mage has changed alot from cata, it hasn't.. your still heavily reliant on instant casts with little room to actually cast a frostbolt
Edited by Skarci on 10/7/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]