Pet Taming Guide for Hunters

100 Night Elf Hunter
*** Please note, this is NOT a thread for the new Pet Battles introduced in MoP ***

With the advent of the new expansion come many players who are new to the game or leveling new toons. I thought maybe the following guide would be helpful to hunters. We always get a series of these threads asking “How do I change my pet,” or “How do I tame a new one?” Hopefully the following guide will answer the various questions.

Please note that the guide comes in two sections due to length. If you want to skip right ahead to the part on taming, go to the second post below.

Terminology:

Active Pet

As hunters we can have a pet with us and at our side helping out. This is referred to as the "Active Pet." You may have ONE pet active at a time. If your pet dies, it is STILL your "Active Pet." You just need to revive it with the "Revive Pet" skill, and presto! There he is, back again, waiting to help you out!

Call Pet Slots

Eventually you will gain the ability to have several pets available to be summoned, though only one can be "Active" at a time. You gain Call Pet 1 at level 1 (this is your "Active Pet") You Gain Call Pet 2 at level 18. At this point you can have a second pet available to be summoned easily. You can dismiss your active pet and summon this one instead. You access these pets through a drop-down (or pop-up) that appears when you click on the "Call Pet" skill button. But before you can call a different pet, you need to tame a new pet. More on this in a second.

Stabling Pets

Finally, there is the stable. Stable Masters appear in most towns that are large enough to have an inn, and sometimes just randomly out there in "the wilds." (They are getting popular now due to their involvement in Pet Battles.) They usually stand next to the entrance to the inn, and can be tracked on your mini-map. Toggle on "Stable Master" in the "townsfolk" menu. The location appears as a little horseshoe.

You can stable up to 20 pets with a Stable Master. These pets are still yours, but cannot be accessed by you when you are in the field, and cannot be summoned. You can switch your pets in and out of the stable by choosing the option "I'd like to manage my pets" (or “I’d like to stable my pet here.”) with the Stable Master. A frame comes up that will allow you to move pets from your Call Pet slots to the stable, and vice versa.

So, to recap, you have three types of status for your pet: the "Active Pet" that is actively with you (even if currently dead), the pets you can summon (if you are level 18 or higher and have tamed another pet), and stabled pets (if you have put any there) that are stored and can't be accessed without a Stable Master.

In terms of managing your pets, there are also two terms, "Dismiss" and "Abandon". To dismiss your Active Pet, use the "Dismiss Pet" spell that you learn at level 10. Before level 10 you cannot dismiss your pet. “Dismiss Pet” sends your active pet away. The pet is still yours, and is still available to be summoned. You can call it right back using "Call Pet." This is the way you switch between the pets available to you with your Call Pet skill. Dismiss your current Active Pet, then summon the one you want using "Call Pet." But again, first you need to TAME a new pet if you want to summon a different pet to you.

“Abandon” is more permanent. Use this when you want to get rid of a pet (usually to free up space, especially if your stable is full). It is not a spell. You need to right-click on the pet’s portrait and select “Abandon” in the menu. You will get a dialogue box to confirm that you REALLY want to send the pet away permanently. Click to confirm, but if you do, you won’t be able to get the pet back. However, you can always tame another of the same model if you miss him or her!! (Note that you can’t “Abandon” a pet before you reach level 10 and gain the “Tame Pet” spell. Don’t try.)

Why would you want to switch pets? Maybe you just like the looks. Maybe you like a different pet for different circumstances … or outfits. Who knows why we do what we do! I like to have multiple pets, all white with black markings, and I name them all “Abby.” That way I can pretend that my pet is a shape-changer. Woot for RP!! However, fun aside, there is a practical aspect to this as well. Pets can learn talents just as your character does. The system in MoP now is very simple. Your pet can learn one of three sets of talents: Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning. The talents are chosen in your talent pane by clicking the tab that says “Pet” at the bottom of the window. Just select which of the three specs you wish to have for your pet. Ferocity and Cunning are good specs for dealing damage. Tenacity is the tanking spec. It is helpful in pulling aggro, though not as effective as a character at tanking.
Edited by Liaeatha on 10/6/2012 7:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Taming guide, continued:

Now in MoP, ANY pet can learn ANY of these abilities, so there is no real need to switch between pets. Though some players will still keep tanking pets versus damage pets. Switching between the specs is easy now, just go back to the talent pane and switch. However, every animal has its own unique ability. Cats can go into a stealth mode, for instance, and bears have the ability “Demoralizing Roar.” So there IS a difference between animal types, especially if you spec your character for Beast Mastery so as to tame exotic pets. More on this later.

How to Tame:

First the Call Pet slots: You get Call Pet 1 at level 1, Call pet 2 at level 18, Call Pet 3 at level 42, Call Pet 4 at level 62, and Call Pet 5 at level 82. Each one gives you a new slot of summonable pets, though you can STILL only have ONE “Active Pet” at a time. (The spell “Stampede” at level 87 lets you briefly call all your active pets, which is WAY cool …) However, at level 82 you can effectively have a choice of 5 pets ready to be called at any given moment, assuming you are taming animals, and have 5 with you (not in the stable).

In order to tame an animal the following conditions must be in effect:

1. You must be a hunter.

2. You must be level 10 or higher, in order to have the skill Tame Beast (and Dismiss Beast).

3. You can not have an Active Pet with you currently, so Dismiss your Active Pet. If you are not level 18 yet, you only have 1 Call Pet slot. You must stable (or Abandon) your current pet. This means that from the time you stable your pet until you tame the new pet, you will be flying solo without help. Do this carefully and in a place you know to be safe, and do some of the legwork described below BEFORE you stable your pet, just in case.

4. The animal you want to tame must be your level or lower. If the animal is a higher level than you, when you cast “Tame Beast” the animal will aggro and will (most likely) kill you, since you won’t have a pet with you to help fight it off.

5. The animal you want to tame must be Tamable. The spell “Beast Lore” (learned at level 10) helps with this. If you target the animal and get within range of the spell, cast Beast Lore and you will learn all sorts of handy information about the animal, especially if it is tamable. It is wise to scout this BEFORE you tame, with your Active Pet still by your side. The range for Beast Lore is uncomfortably close to aggro range, and you can facepull your intended new pet quite easily (ending up killing it. Luckily, there are plenty of others and they respawn. Hopefully it wasn’t a rare spawn! ☹).

From this point on, it’s simple! Find the animal you want to tame. Target it. Get within range of the “Tame Beast” spell (same range as Beast Lore, so close to aggro range). Cast “Tame Beast.” At this point the animal will run toward you with hearts coming out of it, making growly noises and swiping at you. In MOST cases these swipes are not harmful. A “cast bar” for the summons will appear on your screen showing that you are channeling the spell. When the spell finishes, there will be the “ding” that you hear when you level, and the pet will swing around to take its place at your side! And OH! the feeling of satisfaction! ☺

Naming Your Pet

To name a pet, right-click on the portrait of the pet and select “Rename.” You can only use Rename” once for each animal, so choose your name carefully. That said, Inscriptionists can scribe scrolls called “Certificate of Ownership” which allows you to Rename a pet, so nothing is permanent in Azeroth!

This should get you where you need to go for most pets. Go forth and multiply your collection!!
Edited by Liaeatha on 10/6/2012 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Just a few more notes:

Exotic Pets:

Certain animals are classified as "exotic." These animals have extraordinary abilities that are significantly more useful to you or your group, and are available to be tamed when you hit level 69. You must be specialized in Beast Mastery to tame exotic pets, to use them, AND to move them around in your collection. In other words, if you are running as Beast mastery you can have 5 exotics in your Call Pet slots. If, at some point, you switch over to your other specialization (Marksmanship or Survival), you won’t have a pet you can use! Also, if you are trying to rearrange your pets at the Stable Master, you won’t be able to move your exotics into (or out of) the stable unless you are specced for Beast Mastery. (Not a real problem, just activate the spec. But it’s something to bear in mind.) Exotic pets are often unique creatures which spawn at regular intervals. Often they are highly sought after by hunters, so get ready for competition when you go to tame them. (Also, some players will camp the spawn points to kill the creatures when they spawn, which is TRULY annoying, but is all part of life in the WoW community, I’m afraid.)

Note that although you must be level 69 to tame and use exotic pets, not all exotic creatures are high level. There is, for instance, a level 10 Core Hound on Azuremyst Isle. (Of course, once you tame the creature, it increases to your level, no matter whet level it was when you tamed it.)

Special Challenges:

There are also creatures that represent special challenges for hunters to tame. Each one is potentially deadly, but can be tamed under a certain set of circumstances. Sometimes they are exotic pets, but sometimes the creature is actually just a cat or a spider, and can be used by Marksman or Survival Hunters. Usually these pets have a unique (REALLY cool) appearance highly prized by hunters. Be sure to research the way to tame them, or get ready for a LOT of rezzing and a BIG repair bill if you use the “trial-and-error” method.

Have fun, and Happy Hunting!!! ☺
Edited by Liaeatha on 3/22/2013 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Headings, please. Perhaps set them off with bolding and/or numbers or an outline structure.

I am glad it's not just a wall of text, but some indication of organization and where stuff is will be very helpful, considering the amount of stuff in this guide.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/06/2012 06:40 AMPosted by Harlan
some indication of organization and where stuff is will be very helpful, considering the amount of stuff in this guide.

Thanks for the feedback, Harlan! It's amazing how much there is to the process when you try to lay it all out. I added more headings where they made sense. I don't think the "guide" is long enough to warrant a Table of Contents, though.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 07:04 AMPosted by Liaeatha
some indication of organization and where stuff is will be very helpful, considering the amount of stuff in this guide.

Thanks for the feedback, Harlan! It's amazing how much there is to the process when you try to lay it all out. I added more headings where they made sense. I don't think the "guide" is long enough to warrant a Table of Contents, though.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I don't think it's a broad enough topic for a TOC. I think the headings help a lot.

I'll try to take a more in-depth look later today.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I plan on making a hunter for my next toon. This is really helpful info, thanks again!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You might want to consider dropping a link to Petopia somewhere in there. It's THE resource for hunter pets, and a link might help newbies start browsing for that "perfect" pet to tame.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Liaeatha... thanks so much for posting! I just returned to WoW this week, wanted to see the Pandaren start area, and rolled a hunter because it's the only class I haven't played besides monk. I had no idea where to start with taming. Great guide!
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Thanks. I learned some things I'll have to try soon.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I'm running a goblin hunter right now through the Lost Isles. I really like the look of my starter pet crab. Are hunters crippled if they decide to not switch out pets?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/29/2012 10:00 PMPosted by Teapray
Are hunters crippled if they decide to not switch out pets?

Nope, it's just aesthetics and RP mostly, plus many people with the "collector" bug go for hunters so they like collecting at least one rare in every pet family (can only store so many in the stable).
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Glad to hear that. Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
FYI, if you hang around the Town-in-a-Box area until at least 10, you can tame one of those raptors. They change colours every time they're summoned, and I think they're the only ones like that; the same model exists in other places, but they're the only raptors that change colours, so that's your only chance in case you want it later. Don't remember the level range right before the volcano erupts, but after it blows they're harder to find. Fairly sure there's a stable master in town too, who can hold onto to the crab for you.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Thanks so much Liaeatha for the guide. I'm new to the game and every time I'd go looking for a guide on pets I'd one on getting battle pets, which are fun too, but not the ones I was after. Great guide, short and to the point!

Many Thanks,
Maskilen
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
Isn't there a minimum level to tame Exotic pets as a BeastMaster spec? Is it maybe level 69, is that worth mentioning in this Helpful Guide?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Isn't there a minimum level to tame Exotic pets as a BeastMaster spec? Is it maybe level 69, is that worth mentioning in this Helpful Guide?

There is. that should deffinatly be mentioned about the exotics. When I first started playing a hunter I didn't understand why I could tame some and couldn't tame others.

All in all a good guide :) As a hunter being my main this made me happy to see
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Would anyone make some suggestions about which pets would be good to roll with. Or does is really matter?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Would anyone make some suggestions about which pets would be good to roll with. Or does is really matter?

It doesn't really matter. Each pet family has a couple of unique bonus abilities that can prove to be useful in different situations. But all pets within a family are exactly the same except for their skin and slight model differences.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Are there any specific between PvE and PvP? or does that only have to deal with the talents?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]