Discouraged with my guild

45 Pandaren Monk
Well me and my best friend made a guild a while ago and we've worked hard on it since and have gotten to guild lvl 11 recently. We've wanted this guild to be a social and friendly guild and we've gotten some nice people in here over time, some who we were really good to and who seemed to like it here and wanted to stay with us. Well someone who was pretty loyal to us, talked to us all the time and liked us left out of nowhere to join a lvl 25 guild. Typical.

My server isn't exactly high population or anything so everyone just goes and joins one of the few lvl 25 guilds and that's that. Who would a lvl 11 guild look appealing to? Does anyone have any advice on how to maintain it/recruit? There's only about 60 people in it right now and it almost feels dumb trying to recruit with all the lvl 25 guilds posting on trade all the time. Thanks for any help you guys can give, I just feel lost on the whole thing and it's a bit discouraging. This guild does mean quite a bit to me since me and my best friend worked on it together the whole way.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Yea you do need to have a specific goal, without one your a directionless ship, and a ship without direction is bound to run aground.

I am thinking about restarting this guild up, but Who knows maybe I will just keep it as my bank guild
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
i must agree with everyones comments here. just keep making ppl feel welcome and apprectated, make them feel like a valued member of the guild and chances are they'll stick around. As far as recruiting goes, well..you and the 60 ppl in the guild now will just have to keep up the hard work til you recruit more. thats what my wife and i did when we started her guild. keep recruiting when possible, keep busting your butts to get things done in the mean time, youll eventually get your membership up as long as youre all competent and have a good rep as a good guild the word will spread and more ppl will want to join. good luck :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I have an level 8 guild and trust me is no walk in the park.. most people want a raiding guild I just say on my macro raiding will happen when we have a full team of 85-90's in guild. It's the truth whether people like it or not... I try to help my members as much as I can... I put pots in bank food that takes up my space in bags and stuff that i don't use period.. try to do runs with them...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I am the gm of a 4 member guild with all of our toons together we have a total of30 plus toons with all professions covered and maxed. We r currently at lvl 17 going from lvl 3 to 17 in less than 3 wks. I started this guild over a yr ago after a bad experience in a guild where i was just a cog on the wheel, after a while in said guild a buddy and I made a guild of our own recruiting here and there and people have come and gone and eventually we found a third person , then a forth that clicked and stayed and the four of us r having a blast taking this guild all the way to 25 very very soon. I started this guild primarily as a lvling guild offering help with guesting gearing along with profession resourses to lvl with the knowledge that people were free to come and go as they wished. I personally enjoy being a mentor to newbies and getting them the start they need to move on to the raiding and pve guilds. I do not always want to be a lvling guild but as the membership grows and the right people come along and decide to stay we will become a raiding guild. I personally have no problem waiting for the eventual people I am looking for to come along. All good things come to those who wait and hope.
Edited by Jalsar on 10/7/2012 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Juxie
Who would a lvl 11 guild look appealing to? Does anyone have any advice on how to maintain it/recruit? There's only about 60 people in it right now and it almost feels dumb trying to recruit with all the lvl 25 guilds posting on trade all the time. Thanks for any help you guys can give, I just feel lost on the whole thing and it's a bit discouraging. This guild does mean quite a bit to me since me and my best friend worked on it together the whole way.

I feel ancient saying this, but when MOMiT started there were no guild levels. And yet, the feelings were the same. It felt like we were competing for members with guilds who had been "around since launch" or were a year old already. It always seemed like it would be so much easier to be an older guild... and then one day we finally are the older guild. :)

If I were to boil it down, I'd say that, like Sub up-thread, I think the most important thing is to have a plan/goal and to communicate it. Post it on a website, repeat it in a guild address each week, whatever you need to do to make sure people feel like they're part of a guild with purpose. That purpose doesn't have to be raiding -- it could be as simple as building a community to help mentor new players. But people enjoy helping their guilds, feeling like they're contributing, and that's harder to do if they don't know what they're working towards.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I agree with those who have posted to define your purpose, and then do it.

In addition, put yourself in your member's shoes...when someone logs on, what do they see, hear, experience? Are people talking on gchat? It helps to have about 3-5 extroverts who just chat about any old fun thing. People who never say a thing enjoy listening to those who do.

Are there opportunities to do things as a guild? Raiding is great, but many people love doing achievement runs, PvP (not me personally), or guild achievements. We are doing our Fish Fry event again where everyone fishes all over for the guild achievement, but after 1-1/2 hours, we meet up to swap fish/food and do cooking and eating personal achievements. What are you doing to make the guild a fun place to be in?

FYI: Sure, there are level 25 guilds out there who attract some people based on gperks. There are level 25 guilds using the addon to ginvite every non-guilded toon who logs on. I get these on my banker toons, and I think, "You get what you pay for." Then there are level 25 guilds who really want to find people who fit well into the guild and will be happy to be there for a long time. Be a guild who may take a bit longer to find the right people, but it is worth the wait!

Most of all, it's about being who you are...have fun playing how you like to play, and you will attract those who like to have fun like you do.

Believe in yourself!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]