Help choosing a class

85 Draenei Mage
Hey, I'd like to have an external perspective on which class I should make my main.

I am quite experienced with the game and playing more complex calsses/specs isn't a problem for me.

I have played a Death Knight, a Priest, a Warlock and leveled a Warrior, Paladin and Druid to 85.

I want to get serious about PvP and get into RBGs and Arenas, and I want to be a damage dealer, although the possibility of healing could be nice, but definitely not required.

I like it when the gameplay is extremely fast and when I always have something to do. Closest to being GCD-capped as it can. A 1-second global cooldown is also something I really like because otherwise the extra .5 second really slows everything down a lot. The lower GCD of casters is something I'd consider but I have a slight preference for melee.

I just hate sitting there auto-attacking for any significant amount of time.

I hate Focus with a passion, so no hunter for me.

I don't mind pets.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I found that in Cataclysm, I was almost always hitting the button for some ability or other on my Enhancement Shaman.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
Really? That comes to me as a surprise since I thought Enhancement was a cool-down constrained specialization, much like Retribution paladins. I will check it out.

Any other class feels really fast and nearly gcd-capped?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you want a 1-sec GCD, you'll have to stack haste on whatever character you're talking about. Cat druids have a default 1.0 sec swing timer before haste but everyone starts with the same GCD on spells/abilities outside of procs and special attacks.

You want something that you can repeatedly spam until the enemy dies with back-to-back casts. Depending on the enemy, that sounds like a caster at least until you burn yourself out of mana.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Well yes... Enhancement is cooldown-heavy.

But you have so many abilities to fire off, that it turns out you're always doing something anyway - because something is always coming off cooldown. So once you get your rhythm going, something is always firing off.

Keep in mind though - I level-capped in Cataclysm with this character as Enhancement. But I haven't bought MoP yet, or played Enhancement under the new system. So it might be worthwhile to confirm what I'm saying over on the shaman forums.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
Indeed a haste-stacking caster would be probably very fun. Question is, which caster spec prioritizes haste and/or has plenty of instant casts?

Also, Retribution Paladins have a passive that reduces the GCD and CD of important damaging attacks based on haste if memory serves well. I remember Retribution feeling atrociously slow and boring outside of procs and CDs, but how is the Mists version? Could it be closer to what I would like?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Indeed a haste-stacking caster would be probably very fun. Question is, which caster spec prioritizes haste and/or has plenty of instant casts?

Shadow priests uses instants (SW:P, SW:D, and Devouring Plague, which is now a finisher of sorts) and short casts (both Mind Blast and Vampiric Touch are 1.5-second casts) plus the Mind Flay channeled filler. Affiliction locks uses mostly DoTs (two instants and one 1.5 sec cast) and Haunt (1.5 sec cast), and a channeled filler (Malefic Grasp or Drain Soul, depending on the target's health).

Also, Retribution Paladins have a passive that reduces the GCD and CD of important damaging attacks based on haste if memory serves well. I remember Retribution feeling atrociously slow and boring outside of procs and CDs, but how is the Mists version? Could it be closer to what I would like?

Both Prot and Ret get Sanctity of Battle now. They've buffed HoPo generation considerably by letting Judgment and Exo generate holy power (Exo is now also always instant cast with a 15-second cooldown, and Art of War simply resets its CD), so I'd say that your rotation will be a bit more fluid.
Edited by Clysia on 10/8/2012 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Both Prot and Ret get Sanctity of Battle now. They've buffed HoPo generation considerably by letting Judgment and Exo generate holy power (Exo is now also always instant cast with a 15-second cooldown, and Art of War simply resets its CD), so I'd say that your rotation will be a bit more fluid.

At 85 (ie, when I had tons and tons of secondary stats relative to my level), stacking haste, the ret rotation after the 5.0 patch was really, really smooth and, yes, actually pretty fast as far as ret goes.

At 90 in questing gear (I'm prioritizing my holy spec, so my ret set is woefully undergeared), it's the same old ret. It is faster in that you definitely get to use finishers a lot more now that everything generates holy power.
Edited by Honorata on 10/8/2012 5:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]