Brewmaster/Monk questions.

90 Undead Monk
SKP
First off, i'd like to state that I love this class for tanking. I've been tanking seriously since late Vanilla with a brief break in Cata to DPS because I didn't like the mechanics. I've tanked on all 4 classes up to at least end-game raiding at 80, and some at 85 before I quit as I mentioned.

I'm really loving the mobility of Brewmaster, and the Keg Smash/Flame Breath combination is absolutely brutal. It got even better when I realized I could MOVE while casting Flame Breath instead of standing still. Awesome.

I could seriously go on about how much fun this class is to tank for, but I did have some questions.

1) Keg Smash's tooltip states that it only hits 3 targets, but i'd SWEAR that it hits more. Is that a tooltip bug, a bugged skill, or am I seeing things wrong?

2) I've noticed that sometimes after a Keg Smash, that some of the mobs I hit with it will get the Dizzying Haze debuff, but not the damage debuff (Demo Shout icon). Are the chance-to-hits for the different debuffs not tied in? I.E. Does it roll once for Dizzying Haze and again for Demo?

3) I'm still trying to get a feel for proper Clash usage. Is this a skill that you guys (other Brewmasters) use often? I find i've been using it as a semi-charge, and the Brewmaster guide says to think of it more as a DG. Little confused on this skill.

4) Expel Harm, says it heals me and deals damage to "enemy". Is that all enemies in range, or the one i'm targeting?

5) Do you use Guard on CD if you can, or do you save as a Active Mitigation cooldown? I'm still low level, so I don't have all the skills (like Brewmaster training which takes away the Chi cost of Tiger's Palm), so trying to weave all skills in is getting to be fun.

Any other advice for a leveling Brewmaster would be appreciated, too!
Reply Quote
11 Gnome Mage
10/09/2012 12:24 AMPosted by Terputus
1) Keg Smash's tooltip states that it only hits 3 targets, but i'd SWEAR that it hits more. Is that a tooltip bug, a bugged skill, or am I seeing things wrong?

This was a recent hotfix. It now hits all nearby targets. The tooltip will be updated next time there's a patch.

3) I'm still trying to get a feel for proper Clash usage. Is this a skill that you guys (other Brewmasters) use often? I find i've been using it as a semi-charge, and the Brewmaster guide says to think of it more as a DG. Little confused on this skill.

The description as a Death Grip is pretty accurate. The best way to use it on a pack of enemies is to use it to pull a caster mob to the rest of the group. To do that, you can take a few steps back, then quickly hit the button when the caster is about halfway between you and the rest of the pack. The result is you pull the caster in and everything gets stunned.

It can also be used while soloing as a "charge", but it's generally not effective if used that way against groups of enemies. The real strength is the AoE stun, not the movement.

4) Expel Harm, says it heals me and deals damage to "enemy". Is that all enemies in range, or the one i'm targeting?

It'll damage 1 nearby enemy. Not necessarily the one you're targeting, but it does seem to respect crowd control if it has an option.

5) Do you use Guard on CD if you can, or do you save as a Active Mitigation cooldown? I'm still low level, so I don't have all the skills (like Brewmaster training which takes away the Chi cost of Tiger's Palm), so trying to weave all skills in is getting to be fun.

It depends on the fight. If you're taking fairly steady damage, you can use it on cooldown as a damage reduction, but if you're taking spikes, you can reserve it until before a big hit. You can also use it glyphed as a cooldown against big magic damage attacks (like Dragon Breaths), or even just use it on cooldown with the glyph against heavy physical hitters to improve your self-healing from Expel Harm.

It's a pretty flexible button that can be adapted for what you need it for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]