Shaman VS Priest DPS plus heals

90 Dwarf Death Knight
I am looking to level a shaman or priest Panda. I have a melee class as of right now which is my DK but I want something new. I want to be able to DPS and heal while questing. & possibly in the future heal dungeons n such.

Out of the 2 which would you choose. I know this is very subjective but i am looking for a class that has alot of cool spells and basically does good DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I would choose the one that has a lot of cool spells and does good DPS.

Both.

You're not giving us enough information to help you. They both heal and DPS, they just do it in different ways.
Edited by Monmonn on 10/9/2012 5:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
My personal opinion would be disc priest. Bubble 24/7 while questing is awesome... but resto shaman has their version of bubble (forgot the name of it at the moment)

Honestly, it's completely up to you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
ok lets go by this if i had to heal in the future which is the better healer or are they both just as powerful
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
They're both just as powerful. Each can perform better in very specific situations, but they are both excellent healers.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
ok thanks maybe ill youtube them both and see how they perform and go from there. i appreciate the time
Reply Quote
My personal opinion would be disc priest. Bubble 24/7 while questing is awesome... but resto shaman has their version of bubble (forgot the name of it at the moment)

Earth Shield.

Is this what you're thinking Alvie?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If you go Priest, you'll probably be questing as Discipline for a while and using your Smites and Penance to take down enemies along with your shield to stay alive.

After level 30 or later, you might want to switch over to Shadow for questing. You'll mainly be casting your direct damage spell (Mind Blast) to get a shadow orb, then Mind Flaying trash down until you can finish them off with Shadow Word Death for your second orb. Then either getting a third Shadow Orb, or casting your Devouring Plague at two or three shadow orbs for big damage.

For single target damage, Shadow is going to absolutely tear through things right now. It's when you get rushed by multiple enemies that Shadow is going to struggle at the moment. Shadow has very poor AOE damage right now. So in dungeons, you're going to watch others tear through things while your DoTs don't have enough time to tick, and you have only single-target spells otherwise. Mind Spike is your first and only real AOE spell you can get outside of talents - and it sucks rocks right now.

In single target situations, Shadow is really powerful, but in packs of enemies, you'll fall behind on the meters. Best you can do is multi-DoT and hope for the best, Mind Spike is hardly worth using. People are hoping it will be fixed soon.

As for healing, there's actually a lot of complaining going on in the Priest forums about how underpowered Priests are at the beginning of this expansion. They have a lot of mana problems right now.

You aren't getting similar complaints from Resto Shamans right now - who appear to be in good shape.

As for Shaman questing - you'll want to go Elemental, since Resto takes foooreeever to kill anything. Elemental, unlike Shadow, is doing really well for AOE damage - Chain Lightning is absolutely tearing through things right now. People are expecting Blizzard to scale it back or nerf it eventually.

And that's the problem Stonesoldier - I can tell you these things about the two classes, but next Patch, Blizzard might totally nerf Elemental-Resto Shamans and boost Shadow Priests, or who knows... You might go for the big numbers now, only to have the rug pulled out from you later.

Which is why most veterans on the newbie forums just say "play the class that has the style you like" and don't pay attention to who is the best.

Currently, Shadow Priests are really single-target animals and Elemental Shamans are AOE machines. But that could change.

I think it may just come down to whether you want to be casting dark magic in shadow form, or be a lightning shooting turret of elemental power.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

Earth Shield.

Is this what you're thinking Alvie?
Yes, thanks. :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]