Looking for an add in that .........

90 Worgen Death Knight
Will help me target a mob I don't have Agro on. Mainly for adds and such that spawn during encounters. Anything that would help for this? Or to help easily taunt off someone who has Agro? Clicking the mob is hard at times and tab targeting I don't like.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Sort of. There's no addon that will automatically switch target to the one with the least aggro. However, there is a nifty one called TidyPlates that will cause low-aggro nameplates to shrink or grow (depending on your setting). This can make it very easy to identify mobs you are about to lose (and makes it easier to click on them), but you still have to manually target the wayward mob.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I honestly hope there's no such addon available.

Surprisingly enough, tanking should require some awareness and ability to click on things.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Does it place the name plates above the mobs itself? Or do I enable the in game ones?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
It's not a matter of awareness. During some encounters you cant see anything with all the cluster.
Edited by Bloodfàng on 10/10/2012 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Or even an add on the will display enemy target tabs on the side so you can target easier. Kinda like or party/raid groups but for enemy's in combat
Edited by Bloodfàng on 10/10/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/10/2012 07:19 AMPosted by Bloodfàng
It's not a matter of awareness. During some encounters you cant see anything with all the cluster.

for example ...?

don't get me wrong. Mobs don't spawn randomly on any boss fight (or even heroics). There's always a time, a cast, something that you can antecipate. Part of the tank's job is to get ready for that and react accordingly. That involves positioning yourself in a better place, knowing to rotate your camera etc .. mouse/movement skill is also skill.

If you have an addon that place "enemy unitframes" on your screen when you have to aggro them, you are killing that point entirely.

There's zero skill on that. A square appear on your screen and you click on it, regardless of the chaos that is going on.

A bad tank should be punished by not planning earlier how to position himself to properly aggro mobs =). Just like a good tank should be able to do it easily since he planned accordingly. It's just my opinion. Tanking is already dumbed down enough, we don't need more "click -> win" mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
10/10/2012 07:18 AMPosted by Bloodfàng
Does it place the name plates above the mobs itself? Or do I enable the in game ones?

Nameplate mods like Tidy Plates replace the in-game plates.

10/10/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Bloodfàng
Or even an add on the will display enemy target tabs on the side so you can target easier. Kinda like or party/raid groups but for enemy's in combat

Thankfully, this is not possible. The best you can do are unit frame mods that show party/raid targets, but that wouldn't help much in most cases. Most of the aggro you have to worry about comes from people who aren't targeting what they're aggroing (heals and AoE).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I use TidyPlates, Clique, and ElvUI for my party frames. With aggro turned on, I can see not only which mob I'm about to lose threat on (their nameplate is big and orange or red), but to which player (their party frame border is orange or red). With Clique, I simply use a macro that Taunts the mob that's targetting the player I click on and the mob is back onto me.

Really, I'd feel lost tanking without these addons :s
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Can you provide said macro for study? I'm sure it is probably simple, but as I have yet to use one and I feel quite noobish in this aspect.
Reply Quote
its probably something like this.

/cast [harm,@targettarget] taunt; taunt

checks the current target's target to see if its an enemy, if so it casts taunt on that target, otherwise it just casts taunt on your target.

*edit, put help instead of harm in there
Edited by Horac on 10/10/2012 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
/cast [help,@targettarget] taunt; taunt

RIP, Righteous Defense.
Edited by Rijdot on 10/10/2012 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/10/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Rijdot
/cast [help,@targettarget] taunt; taunt

RIP, Righteous Defense.
Don't make me cry
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/10/2012 07:04 AMPosted by Bloodfàng
Will help me target a mob I don't have Agro on. Mainly for adds and such that spawn during encounters. Anything that would help for this? Or to help easily taunt off someone who has Agro? Clicking the mob is hard at times and tab targeting I don't like.

Get Tidy Plates. It lets you customize the healthbars of mobs to look cleaner and how you want them. They change colors based on your threat. For example (when I tank)..

Blue = They are attacking me
Light Blue = They are attacking me or the other tank (raids)
Yellow = I'm close to losing aggro
Red = I need to do my job and get aggro

Now, there is an addon that will just put bars on your screen and you click it and it auto taunts whatever is on your group mate. You are a horrible tank if you use this. I'm not saying that because I think you're bad for wanting it, that's not the case at all. I'm saying that because it WILL make you a horrible tank. When you lose aggro you need to be sure to get that aggro back. With tidy plates you know EXACTLY which one is lose and you click it, then taunt, then attack it until you have adequate threat. Otherwise you use that other addon, you taunt it, it comes to you, but you have no clue which one it was because you let an addon do it for you so once your 5 second taunt debuff wears off it goes back to it's original target because you never generated any new threat on it. Don't let yourself be bad. Get tidy plates for the visual assitance but use your IQ to be a good tank.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]