Best PvE healers in MoP?

(Locked)

85 Undead Priest
I've come and gone over years taking breaks from the game, and my most recent one was pretty much for all of Cataclysm. I took a break also before Burning Crusade, and then when I came back, pretty much did only PvP and questing with almost no dungeon runs up to lvl 80.

Now, in my latest return, I am all off the PvP band wagon, and enjoying the Dungeon Finder and running 5 mans, etc.

I have an 85 Priest (used to heal MC and Onyxia back in the day), an 80 Shaman (pretty much only healed BGs and Arena), and a 45 Druid (leveling now). The priest or the shaman will have to be transferred between servers, and obviously the Druid is a new alt but its on the server I want to play on. In MoP, which is the better 5 man healer? Which is the better Raid healer?

I really love playing my Priest as shadow. I've dual spec'd him since MoP released as Discipline, but haven't healed anything with him. I've healed plenty of lower 5 mans with the Druid, and I like her in there. The shaman is in the mix, but in the past, I pretty much only healed PvP with him. If the Druid or Priest are just as good or better in PvE, then I won't pay to transfer him.

I want to pick one of these as my healing character, and concentrate on learning/gearing that toon. I am not a hard core raider at this point, and I don't know if I will ever have the time to be so.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Edited by Traiteur on 10/10/2012 11:25 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
Monks/Disc are the best dungeon healers, IMO. Mostly because you can DPS the whole time, and it makes runs go faster and you aren't playing wack-a-mole (and you get a fast queue).

Elemental Shaman / Shadow Priest put out some great healing now also, especially with their lvl90 talents. A shadow priest that spams Halo on cooldown in 25 mans pulls pretty decent HPS, along with a great healing cooldown in general (Vampiric Embrace).

With raiding, there isn't enough data for the dev's to do proper balance, we're getting hotfixed/patched at least weekly right now. So by the time you're 90, it could be a different story. But I think Monks/Shaman/Pallies are on top for the moment.
90 Pandaren Monk
My advice? Don't go with your priest. They really are non-viable right now. The gap is so great that even the recent buff they received doesn't seem like it will be able to stem that. They still really need more regen to be competitive. Between a druid and a shaman.. in a 10 man setting you want to decide whether to tank or raid heal. Shaman will do better on a tank and druids will do better on the raid. Shaman are probably more flexible, but if you want to just stick to raid healing on your druid, they're certainly decent.

edit.. to answer your 5 man question, well, heroics are so easy, you shouldn't have any issues healing them with whatever spec.
Edited by Lilyira on 10/10/2012 12:00 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
10/10/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Lilyira
They really are non-viable right now.

Patently untrue.
90 Pandaren Monk
10/10/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Anarri
They really are non-viable right now.

Patently untrue.

I'm seeing at least twice the amount of healing as our priests. Priests are the only healers who aren't showing on WOL for any fight 10 or 25. If you look at logs on those fights there's like a 20k HPS gap from the top healers and the top priests and at least a 10k HPS gap from any other class.

Okay maybe they're not so weak that they can't be taken to raids at all, but no one is looking for priests right now and I would absolutely recommend either of the other options the OP has.
100 Undead Priest
They literally just got some major buffs, and it's pretty clear that the developers are closely following Priests right now.

Contrary to stupid opinion(s), Blizzard does not randomly throw multiple specs under the bus and does nothing about it. Expecting zero change at all is hilariously inane.

Also, unless you're suggesting people need to rank on HPS to kill normal bosses, it doesn't matter whether or not Priests are as OP as Mistweavers. :/

Lol, you think a thoughtless 25% buff to two of our spells is closely following our class? They are buffing the spell that does ~50% of my healing and that's "closely following"? Do people no remember their history? Blizz did this with Disc last xpac and what followed was the biggest wirlwind of buffs/nerfs I've ever seen in the game.

As for "ranking on HPS", yes it does matter. Why should I even heal when other healers are literally doing 2x more than I am? It makes me feel useless because... I AM.
90 Pandaren Priest
Play what you enjoy, just understand that Priests require attention from the devs, and the recent hotfix isn't going to fix disc in any way shape or form.
90 Pandaren Priest
They literally just got some major buffs, and it's pretty clear that the developers are closely following Priests right now.

Contrary to stupid opinion(s), Blizzard does not randomly throw multiple specs under the bus and does nothing about it. Expecting zero change at all is hilariously inane.

Also, unless you're suggesting people need to rank on HPS to kill normal bosses, it doesn't matter whether or not Priests are as OP as Mistweavers. :/

Lol, you think a thoughtless 25% buff to two of our spells is closely following our class? They are buffing the spell that does ~50% of my healing and that's "closely following"? Do people no remember their history? Blizz did this with Disc last xpac and what followed was the biggest wirlwind of buffs/nerfs I've ever seen in the game.

As for "ranking on HPS", yes it does matter. Why should I even heal when other healers are literally doing 2x more than I am? It makes me feel useless because... I AM.

Don't get emotional or the forum police will sentence you to condescending remarks and snide lectures about how your feelings don't matter.
100 Tauren Druid

Add your absorbs to those heals.

They still 2x more than you?

Well, nevermind - You havn't even raided yet. You have no idea what's balanced or not.

If you're taking LFR numbers than I LOL@You. That crap is a joke and has absolutely zero baring on balance.
85 Undead Priest
10/10/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Jilu
Play what you enjoy, just understand that Priests require attention from the devs, and the recent hotfix isn't going to fix disc in any way shape or form.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Quite honestly, I don't really give a crap about the math on the top end. I just want to heal my buddies in dungeons and maybe a BG or two. It sounds like any of the choices would work for what I want to do. While Priests might be gimped at the moment for very high end, I have gotten sort of attached to this guy. I will probably transfer him over to the server I want to play on, and if he doesn't work out, I can still play him as Shadow and then explore the idea of moving the Shaman over or leveling the Druid up at that time.

Thanks again.
90 Pandaren Priest
Sounds like a sound choice.

Priest is viable. So is your Druid.

I transferred this character because I knew I was going to spend hours and hours playing it. It was worth it to me. Are you going to spend months playing a character wondering, “would I have had more fun on my other one?” How much is that worth to you?

I really like holy so I am playing it, I think I am pretty successful at it, and I have no real complaints as a priest yet. I expect there will be more balancing going on before I get to a point where the complaints on this forum affect me.

Blizzard is actively attempting to keep things balanced. Did they do the right thing with their latest priest buff? No way to know. My guess, no. Are they done balancing? Not by a long shot. But they did prove that they are actively tweaking it.

Pick the one you want, Blizzard will continue to tweak things. It would be a mistake to let the arguments about balance and raid progression from such a small sampling of players sway your decision.

No one knows when the balancing will be done, or what the final balance will be. How can blizzard balance anything with their current data? It is just too dirty right now.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Blood DK's by a long shot.
85 Night Elf Druid
10/10/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Lilyira
I'm seeing at least twice the amount of healing as our priests. Priests are the only healers who aren't showing on WOL for any fight 10 or 25. If you look at logs on those fights there's like a 20k HPS gap from the top healers and the top priests and at least a 10k HPS gap from any other class.

Twistedmind has logs and videos of him standing toe to toe with his druid partner, two-healing the first four bosses of MSV. If that doesn't prove their viability in at least 10s, I don't know what does.

10/10/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Poena
Blizz did this with Disc last xpac and what followed was the biggest wirlwind of buffs/nerfs I've ever seen in the game.

After the PW:S buffs in 4.0.6, I can't recall a single time when Disc priests were being denied raid spots.
100 Blood Elf Priest
Depends on your definition of "viable", I suppose.

Twistedmind has logs and videos of him standing toe to toe with his druid partner, two-healing the first four bosses of MSV.

Yes, it's possible for one of the best disc priests in the world to pull his weight 2-healing normal modes in an excellent raid group.

But most priests' raid groups will require more healing, and especially more reactive healing, than those particular priests are able to put out as Disc.

Healing a weaker group is harder than healing a better group; that gap is compounded by the fact that the healer in the weaker group is also usually a less-skilled healer.

I would gladly challenge Twistedmind to come 2-heal my raid group as Disc and then see how he feels about the spec. I'll go heal his for the week on my pally.
Edited by Kaels on 10/10/2012 2:33 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
10/10/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Kaels
Yes, it's possible for one of the best disc priests in the world to pull his weight 2-healing normal modes in an excellent raid group.

He's also playing the spec quite a bit differently than people are used to it being played. Keep in mind, his druid partner isn't exactly a mediocre healer, and Twisted consistently had higher mana percentages than his partner.

All I'm saying is that if people experimented a bit, they might not find priests to be as bad as they think.

And just for the record, just because the spec has a high skill floor doesn't mean they're not viable.
100 Human Monk
Honestly, I think that balance between healers largely doesn't matter at this point in the expansion. Play whatever class you want to play. Unless you have a stick up your !@# to get through hard mode encounters right now, then any healer will be just fine and the performance will be dictated more by your skill or your gear than the full extent of the class balance.

I'd rather people dealt with learning different methods for healing than complaining for buffs that will probably turn around into nerfs once gear gets better.
90 Pandaren Priest
10/10/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Anarri

He's also playing the spec quite a bit differently than people are used to it being played. Keep in mind, his druid partner isn't exactly a mediocre healer, and Twisted consistently had higher mana percentages than his partner.

All I'm saying is that if people experimented a bit, they might not find priests to be as bad as they think.

And just for the record, just because the spec has a high skill floor doesn't mean they're not viable.

Kaels' argument rings true in my mind.

Twisted and his group are very skilled and able to avoid most "avoidable damage".

Less skilled players will take more damage, that's where you'll see Discipline Priests suffer.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]