Why do people think dailies are "required"?

90 Undead Warlock
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.
Edited by Dippindotss on 10/11/2012 8:49 AM PDT
90 Human Priest
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

Gearing via reputation and raids at the same times gears you faster, making the raid content easier and faster to complete. It's all about efficiency, and if you're a progression raider, the most efficient way is the only way.
90 Pandaren Priest
its faster to gear up in 489 gear from factions, than it is in raids. thats jsut my experience.

Also the Valor Point gear offer's nice fillers.

for example, next week i can get rid of ilvl 450 PVP shoulders and replace them with ilvl 489 shoulders, awesome. and due to the cap and the way it works, immediately after getting those shoulders i will need to farm valor point gear for 2 more days and get another 489 epic.

the more dailies you do to get rep, the more you unlock. currently i can get 250 VP just by doing 2 hours of dailies. to pthat off with a 30 valor point scenario+a 60 valor point RDF+ a 90 OR 45 valor point LFR= good day of valor point farming for epic gear!
90 Night Elf Druid
General rule of thumb when talking about what players think is 'required' in a game:
If it's the fastest way to do something then they consider it required.

Just look at the stuff that happened with the RMAH in D3. Fastest way to get good gear in the game is to buy it off the AH, so players complain that the AH is 'required'.
90 Night Elf Rogue
World of Warcraft:

Optimal is not optional.
1 Gnome Priest
A lot of guilds require their raiders to put forth maximum effort in gearing their character which means if character power is available from dailies, you'll do dailies.
90 Undead Monk
Gearing via reputation and raids at the same times gears you faster, making the raid content easier and faster to complete. It's all about efficiency, and if you're a progression raider, the most efficient way is the only way.

Wow. I gotta be honest with you: That sounds like it sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you are having fun with the raids and all that.
From my point of view, if you're getting stressed out over copious amounts of content to precess JUST so you can progress a little bit faster....you're no longer playiing a game.

It's not the dailies that sound like a job...it's raiding :\
90 Undead Death Knight
Also, I do not think it is all just about gear. Are there not other things you can get by faction grinding via dailies? Recipies, pets, mounts, etc.
1 Gnome Priest
10/11/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Murkwood

From my point of view, if you're getting stressed out over copious amounts of content to precess JUST so you can progress a little bit faster....you're no longer playiing a game.

A lot of games are like that, though. Sometimes to do what you enjoy well, you need to do some things that you don't enjoy. For example, in chess at a certain point, learning the basic endgames is going to help your play a lot (particularly the more common ones like rook endgames), so even if you don't necessarily enjoy it, you often times do it anyways, just because it'll improve your play in the parts of the game you do enjoy (or allow you to turn draws into wins or losses into draws).

This isn't unique to wow.
Edited by Mescyn on 10/11/2012 9:11 AM PDT
1 Gnome Priest
10/11/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Gorthn
Also, I do not think it is all just about gear. Are there not other things you can get by faction grinding via dailies? Recipies, pets, mounts, etc.

Yes, but arguably none of that feels mandatory since it comes down to gold for the patterns, and mounts/pets are 100% optional. You're not letting your team down (to paraphrase lore@tankspot) if you fail to get a mount or pet.
Edited by Mescyn on 10/11/2012 9:13 AM PDT
90 Undead Warlock
General rule of thumb when talking about what players think is 'required' in a game:
If it's the fastest way to do something then they consider it required.

Just look at the stuff that happened with the RMAH in D3. Fastest way to get good gear in the game is to buy it off the AH, so players complain that the AH is 'required'.

That is true...although in this case THE ONLY way to use valor points at the moment is to gain reputation with factions...and THE ONLY way to do that is dailies.

So, yes - required
90 Undead Warlock
Thanks for the replies guys, makes sense

10/11/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Mescyn

A lot of games are like that, though. Sometimes to do what you enjoy well, you need to do some things that you don't enjoy. For example, in chess at a certain point, learning the basic endgames is going to help your play a lot (particularly the more common ones like rook endgames), so even if you don't necessarily enjoy it, you often times do it anyways, just because it'll improve your play in the parts of the game you do enjoy (or allow you to turn draws into wins or losses into draws).

This isn't unique to wow.
Chess is not a video game.
90 Undead Monk
but...what's the rush? I see people freaking out about "falling behind" WTH?

I guess I'll just never understand the whole "keeping up with the Jones'" thing.
I'm sorry, but being hyper-competative comes with disadvantages as well.

Blaming Blizzard for offering a very wide variety of content options seems a little short-sighted.
Keep this up and it'll end up just like Cataclysm.

Ding! Level cap. Spam dungeons for JP/VP whatever, then do the most recent Raid until your eyes bleed. All the while, all the other content gets ignored.

That may seem like fun for the "competative raider" but it sounds like a snore-fest to me.

BLizzard makes this game for all of us, not just impatient raiders.
90 Night Elf Priest
I've never liked dailies, and i don't plan on ever doing them. I farm mobs just enough for around 1-2 spirit of harmonies a day to pay for flasks, i run randoms and get bags of loot to help fund various other aspects of maintaining a fully buffed raid team, and i spend way too much gold on BoE epics that boost my gear to stay on par.

Am i in the end putting forth more effort and gold by doing it my method rather than just grinding out dailies for 3-4 hours a day? Yes.

Am i having more fun with the game? Hell yes.

Are dailies required? I don't think so, but of course i'm not optimal without them, but it's not a large enough difference to make me intentionally burn myself out sooner.
Edited by Antiwipe on 10/11/2012 9:35 AM PDT
1 Gnome Priest
Arguably, i've fallen behind by a lot. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my gm's measurement of my progress is based not on my priests rep/day but on my shamans xp/day.
90 Orc Hunter
quite simply, its easy to do raid content if you're already partly geared to do it.

edit: also a lot of people dont raid but want to get epic'd out so the only way for them to do that is to buy valor gear.

and i dont see why that is a problem since you can still get crafted items and drops from LFR
Pretty much answered, but I wouldn't say they're required, but they're very nice now that they give VP.

A player with a lot of time on their hands can theoretically gear up through heroics (note that I'm 12/16 463 and I'm still two points shy of the 460 ilvl needed to do raid finder). You could then go on to do raids once a week and gear up that way but you'll have a lot of VP you can't spend on anything.

A player with less time can hit the dailies every day and grind a fair amount of VP that way and eventually buy the VP items and the 450 free items, but not the JP items.

Doing a mixture of both (a heroic or two a day and then JP and VP to shore up gear holes) is probably the best path to take if you're fairly casual.
90 Gnome Mage
Some of us don't raid.

Those that do raid don't always get every slot to drop from the bosses in a timely fashion. And the dailies give charms that you can use for extra chances at getting the drops so you're less likely to fall behind and lose your raid slot.

Most professions need to get rep for recipes. Rep is ONLY obtainable from dailies for a lot of the factions.
Edited by Analt on 10/11/2012 9:28 AM PDT
90 Undead Monk
10/11/2012 09:19 AMPosted by Mescyn
Arguably, i've fallen behind by a lot. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my gm's measurement of my progress is based not on my priests rep/day but on my shamans xp/day.

O.o

Ok. I think I can see the dilema that you raiders find yourself in.

It seems to me that in order for you to enjoy this game, you have to do "things you don't enjoy" in order to meet the requirements of a GM/RL. In all honesty, you guys are setting yourselves up for this.

Haha. No wonder you guys get so bent whenever Blizz does the inevitable: nerfing content.
Oh well. To each their own, I suppose.

Best of luck to you
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]