Why do people think dailies are "required"?

1 Gnome Priest
10/11/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Dippindotss
Chess is not a video game.

It was an example that applies to pretty much any game. Also, there are video game versions of chess -- www.chessclub.com. Video game is really defined by the technology used to play it, and not so much by the game itself.

The person I replied to said game, not video game anyways.

Chess is both a video game and a board game, just like mtg is both a video game and card game. There's no exclusivity at work here.
Edited by Mescyn on 10/11/2012 9:34 AM PDT
90 Undead Priest
10/11/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Analt
Most professions need to get rep for recipes. Rep is ONLY obtainable from dailies for a lot of the factions.

YUP I wasn't planning on leveling my jewelcrafter to 90 but the only way to get the patterns for pets and mounts is through dailies so guess I have to grind it out on two characters.
16 Troll Druid
but...what's the rush? I see people freaking out about "falling behind" WTH?

I guess I'll just never understand the whole "keeping up with the Jones'" thing.
I'm sorry, but being hyper-competative comes with disadvantages as well.

Blaming Blizzard for offering a very wide variety of content options seems a little short-sighted.
Keep this up and it'll end up just like Cataclysm.

Ding! Level cap. Spam dungeons for JP/VP whatever, then do the most recent Raid until your eyes bleed. All the while, all the other content gets ignored.

That may seem like fun for the "competative raider" but it sounds like a snore-fest to me.

BLizzard makes this game for all of us, not just impatient raiders.

Blizzard didn't make a wide variety of content as dailies are required for rep, and rep is required to spend justice and valor and to get patterns / enchants / food buffs.

And Blizzard's saying 'play how you want to play' while forcing people to play the way they want you to play cuts across both parts of the game right now.

Want to PVP competitively? Better run heroics or raids for weapons.

Want to raid competitively? Better do dailies for your charms and rep to spend your vp.
10 Troll Warlock
So right now, at this very moment, you have a limited amount of things to do once you hit 90. A very big portion of those few things to do is daily quests. People who enjoy them will continue doing them as long as they continue to have fun with them.

People who need the reps they provide will do them until they have what they need/want and never return. Doubling the grind time and placing grinds behind grinds in and effort to drag the grinds out because this is supposed to be 'engaging', 'fun' and 'prevent' people from running out of thing to do so fast (If you don't enjoy dailies, the first day of doing them you've run out of things to do) is where the problem is.

The problem isn't dailies. The problem is gating and cornering people who don't enjoy them into doing them for an extended period of time.

The problem is also developers hiding behind the cop out answer of dailies not being mandatory. Telling people something isn't mandatory is not an excuse to make something a long, PITA grind for grind's sake.
9 Undead Mage
because we all know raiders need 489 gear to farm 489 gear. makes sense.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why did people think the 5% dps talent was required?
90 Blood Elf Warrior
So right now, at this very moment, you have a limited amount of things to do once you hit 90. A very big portion of those few things to do is daily quests. People who enjoy them will continue doing them as long as they continue to have fun with them.

People who need the reps they provide will do them until they have what they need/want and never return. Doubling the grind time and placing grinds behind grinds in and effort to drag the grinds out because this is supposed to be 'engaging', 'fun' and 'prevent' people from running out of thing to do so fast (If you don't enjoy dailies, the first day of doing them you've run out of things to do) is where the problem is.

The problem isn't dailies. The problem is gating and cornering people who don't enjoy them into doing them for an extended period of time.

The problem is also developers hiding behind the cop out answer of dailies not being mandatory. Telling people something isn't mandatory is not an excuse to make something a long, PITA grind for grind's sake.

This. SO much this. I'm on the forums right now because I'm bored and AVOIDING doing dailies.
Edited by Alysíum on 10/11/2012 9:43 AM PDT

Advice troll sums up my feelings rather well. Especially the last part. The developers really ought to just come out and say what's' up either way. Especially given some of their past contradictory statements on the matter of "optional" content.
1 Gnome Priest

It's not really long, though. In terms of hours committed per faction, it's pretty short. 14 or so days worth of dailies is what most people are seeing, which is probably something like 12 hrs per faction.

It's not really long, though. In terms of hours committed per faction, it's pretty short. 14 or so days worth of dailies is what most people are seeing, which is probably something like 12 hrs per faction.

It isn't but that isn't the point. In cata the rep grinds were fine because you simply threw a tabard and weren't really consciously aware of it. I mean in terms of time invested it was probably about the same. This current system however you are REALLY made aware that you are grinding for rep. Your not doing what you enjoy doing, your doing a series of quests that are out of your way for your normal playstyle for the purpose of granting you rep. In other words your playstyle is being dictated to you, hence you notice the grind more and it seems longer and more annoying.
100 Draenei Death Knight
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

You can always follow a standard gear progression.

If you're wearing quest rewards from your 85-90 stretch, by the time you hit 90 you'll have the iLevel to go into the Heroics. This is by design.

If you're wearing boss drops from Heroics, you'll be prepared to go into the first tier of raiding. This is by design.

Wearing boss drops from the first tier of raiding prepares you for the second tier of raiding. This is by design.

This also counts for Raid Finder versions (which you can also upgrade with points per a new system in place). While you won't have quite the output in the next tier of raiding as someone wearing gear from normals, the difference is really no larger than that between Normal and Heroic raids: noticeable, but not a game-changer.
10 Troll Warlock
10/11/2012 09:44 AMPosted by Mescyn
Golden Lotus gives 110 rep for most quest turn ins, and 220 for your last daily of the day's chain. Klaxxi gives 143 rep per turn in. Both of those numbers include the guild perk. All factions prior to Pandaria gave 250 rep per turn in for quests, including daily quests, with end of chain quests sometimes rewarding you with 350 rep and "go talk to X guy" quests giving about 60 rep.

By design these reputations are giving you far less rep than normal in an effort to make you grind longer to obtain the rewards they offer. To make you grind twice as long to even be able to spend VP at their vendors.

Golden Lotus not only gives you less that half the reputation past factions gave they also gate two other factions which require you to be at revered with them to spend your VP with them.

This is a really, really long grind dragged out for grind's sake just to have access to VP vendors, never mind mounts, pets and recipes.

This is a nightmare for people who do not enjoy taking out the garbage, making their beds, sorting the recyclables and killing the high shaman in order to spend the currency they are getting from other activities they actually enjoy.

Edit: and both developers and defenders of this system says that this is acceptable and totally not an effort to drag out reputation grinds because they are not mandatory. AT THE SAME TIME we have been told we're getting some kind of weird convoluted changes to reputation grinds where mains will get double the rep gains once they hit revered. That change would not be needed if they had not made the choice to make factions like the Golden Lotus only give 110 rep per quest turn in. By the way, 220 is still less than the 250 other factions happily give you all the way from neutral to exalted.
Edited by Advicetroll on 10/11/2012 9:58 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Gearing via reputation and raids at the same times gears you faster, making the raid content easier and faster to complete. It's all about efficiency, and if you're a progression raider, the most efficient way is the only way.

in other words: It is your choice.
10/11/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Advicetroll
Golden Lotus gives 110 rep for most quest turn ins, and 220 for your last daily of the day's chain. Klaxxi gives 143 rep per turn in. Both of those numbers include the guild perk. All factions prior to Pandaria gave 250 rep per turn in for quests, including daily quests, with end of chain quests sometimes rewarding you with 350 rep and "go talk to X guy" quests giving about 60 rep.

By design these reputations are giving you far less rep than normal in an effort to make you grind longer to obtain the rewards they offer. To make you grind twice as long to even be able to spend VP at their vendors.

Golden Lotus not only gives you less that half the reputation past factions gave they also gate two other factions which require you to be at revered with them to spend your VP with them.

This is a really, really long grind dragged out for grind's sake just to have access to VP vendors, never mind mounts, pets and recipes.

This is a nightmare for people who do not enjoy taking out the garbage, making their beds, sorting the recyclables and killing the high shaman in order to spend the currency they are getting from other activities they actually enjoy.

Edit: and both developers and defenders of this system says that this is acceptable and totally not an effort to drag out reputation grinds because they are not mandatory. AT THE SAME TIME we have been told we're getting some kind of weird convoluted changes to reputation grinds where mains will get double the rep gains once they hit revered. That change would not be needed if they had not made the choice to make factions like the Golden Lotus only give 110 rep per quest turn in. By the way, 220 is still less than the 250 other factions happily give you all the way from neutral to exalted.

Advicetroll if you keep talking this much sense were in for a heap of trouble.

It's plain to see that this is nto only a grind but a prolonged one. Their is no good god damn reason why shado pan and celestials should be tied behind golden lotus of all things and AT REVERED ffs...
90 Gnome Warlock
10/11/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Dippindotss
So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

If you aren't doing dailies to gear up because you don't feel like it, you're intentionally gimping your raid. Some people are ok with that, most of us aren't.
10/11/2012 10:00 AMPosted by Zarcistiri
Gearing via reputation and raids at the same times gears you faster, making the raid content easier and faster to complete. It's all about efficiency, and if you're a progression raider, the most efficient way is the only way.

in other words: It is your choice.

Not really. Well yes in the same way it's my choice to log into the game. Is Blizzard telling people to not log into the game? No. Look everyone saying it's your choice is basically saying the old talent systems were fine and that 5% dps talent EVERYONE took was basically your choice as well. I mean it was wasn't it? Nobody forced you to take it? No obviously you were forced to take it because the alternative was just poorer.
Edited by Malemort on 10/11/2012 10:03 AM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
10/11/2012 09:44 AMPosted by Malemort
The developers really ought to just come out and say what's' up either way. Especially given some of their past contradictory statements on the matter of "optional" content.

Indeed, they should. There's just a lot of frustration building, and different groups of players attacking another for playing wrong, and such. I still haven't figured out why Blizzard lets the community get so hostile all the time. Do they get some sick pleasure out of watching their players attack each other and try to hurt peoples' feelings?
10/11/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Analt
The developers really ought to just come out and say what's' up either way. Especially given some of their past contradictory statements on the matter of "optional" content.

Indeed, they should. There's just a lot of frustration building, and different groups of players attacking another for playing wrong, and such. I still haven't figured out why Blizzard lets the community get so hostile all the time. Do they get some sick pleasure out of watching their players attack each other and try to hurt peoples' feelings?

I understand why they don't. It's so obvious and transparent what's going on here. What can they say? I mean it's still lame and letting the community go at each other is pretty !@#$ty. I"m sure we'll see a blog ala WOW DUNGEONS ARE HARD at some point in the near future...
90 Human Rogue
10/11/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Advicetroll

This is actually wrong.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]