Why do people think dailies are "required"?

Community Manager
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.
Edited by Nethaera on 10/11/2012 10:15 AM PDT
Also, scenarios are quick ways to earn some nice iLvl 463 gear, which helps immensely for getting one geared up enough for raiding.
50 Gnome Warlock
10/11/2012 10:06 AMPosted by Sintharia
This is actually wrong.

It was hotfixed so that you didn't need them for Shado-pan and August Celestials, but initially this was true.
90 Orc Hunter

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

When I hit 90 before you made the changes to JP and moved some of the VP items to honored the only way to get the ilvl to enter heroics was to buy crafted PVP gear because you (blizzard) didn't provide a way to get gear outside of rep grinds.

The best part about this is season 12 pvp gear is still the best gear you can use to PVE right now. Seems to be a disconnect on the part of the developers when they say you dont need to pve to pvp and vice versa. Apparently if you want to min/max and be good at the game you need to pvp to pve and pve to pvp since you neglected to give us a pvp weapon.
50 Gnome Warlock
10/11/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Daxton
Also, scenarios are quick ways to earn some nice iLvl 463 gear, which helps immensely for getting one geared up enough for raiding.

Unfortunately, a lot of it is poorly itemized 463 stuff for most specs.
90 Undead Rogue
The OP is correct. People are looking at this all wrong.

Dailies are an alternative way to gearing up.

Other options for non raiders include LFD/LFR.

The raiders still have their heroic to normal and heroic mode progression model. Everyone wins. Everyone can gear up how they want. I love dailies, I will most likely be exalted with all factions eventually.

Edit: Any argument about it being required is merely self inflicted.
Edited by Dalkin on 10/11/2012 10:24 AM PDT
ok. Just had a thought on this matter. It kind of intrigues me.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the competative raiders are looking at this the wrong way.

Over the last few years I have seem plenty of players lament the lack of effort rquired to get into high-end raiding. Attunemts were removed and progress through the tiers was effectively removed. One could simply get to lvl cap, run a few heroics and BAM! they were more-or-less ready to fill a raid spot. Hardly any dedication required at all, they said.

Well...here we are. It simply will not be possible for the lesser dedicated individuals to keep up with the truly hard-core. The "creme de la creme" will rise to the top, leaving the rest of us "scrubs" to forrage for berries or whatever it is you think we do ;)

Is this what it's really about? Are those that thought they were hard-core and dedicated now being confronted with the fact that thay are not?

Believe me, i'm not trying to whack the hornets nest with a stick, here. JUst kind of offering some food for thought.
50 Gnome Warlock
The only thing required about dailies in a sense are the charms but that's something you can quickly stock up.

Hey Neth have you guys thought on adding something else to do with the charms or make them stack better?

This is not exact number but I already have over 400 lesser charms. I have weeks of supply and yes I do a ton of dailies. Yet it's going to stockpile more and more eating my bag space.

Is there any chance on increasing on how much they stack even more?

Spirit of Harmony for purchase, yes please.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

This is simply not accurate or your being just a tad bit disingenuous. The charms for my raid group require that I farm dailies. Same for the patterns. Furthermore let's assume someone DOESN'T raid but still want's to progress their characters. Well then at some point they need to run dailies to gear up because that is one of the few available paths to them.

No their was one way and one way to insure that dailies don't feel required at all and you guys know this. That is to make sure their is absolutely NOTHING on the vendors that could be used for character progression. NOTHING. Not a thing.
90 Worgen Mage
Edited by Wyron on 11/7/2012 5:02 PM PST

Except you have no way to spend the valor you earn from those heroics. I think fewer people would be complaining about the dailies if, like cataclysm rep vendors, they sold their few items for gold, and the majority of the items were on a no-rep-required valor point vendor.

Sure, you don't have to do dailys. You don't have to do anything in game. But you're throwing away your valor points if you don't.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/11/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Bomdanil
This is actually wrong.

It was hotfixed so that you didn't need them for Shado-pan and August Celestials, but initially this was true.

You don't need golden lotus anymore? When did that change?
90 Worgen Druid

Crafting gear requires rep, at least a weeks worth of dailys every day for the Golden Lotus (for my Leatherworking ones anyway). Unless your talking about the PvP stuff... in which case heaven help the healers that get stuck with a moron tank wearing PvP gear /shudder.
90 Gnome Rogue
Dailies give me an excuse to pickpocket all the things. Then Kill all the things!
90 Human Rogue
This is actually wrong.

Doesn't matter if it was initially true, it's not true now. So making an argument that you need Revered rep with those two factions to spend your Valor is, like I said, wrong.
Edited by Sintharia on 10/11/2012 10:26 AM PDT
90 Undead Priest

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496.

While you can get food without doing tillers daily's and farming, it'll be extremely costly and/or require a lot of luck (getting drops from rares).

As for the valor gear itself. Sure you can get better gear from raids, but with only a couple of items dropping, unless your raid group is incredibly skilled, you won't be seeing those drops without gearing up as much as possible first and even if you are getting kills it will take a long time to fully gear a raid without any outside source of gear (Valor, bonus rolls, crafted, DMF cards, world bosses).
Edited by Poena on 10/11/2012 10:27 AM PDT
90 Draenei Monk
When I hit 90 before you made the changes to JP and moved some of the VP items to honored the only way to get the ilvl to enter heroics was to buy crafted PVP gear because you (blizzard) didn't provide a way to get gear outside of rep grinds.

IDK about you but I could get into heroics straight from hitting 90.

Between normal dungeon quest rewards and quest rewards from Dread Wastes, I barely had the item level for it, but I could queue.

And there's still the brewfest trinkets.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]