Why do people think dailies are "required"?

Community Manager
The only thing required about dailies in a sense are the charms but that's something you can quickly stock up.

Hey Neth have you guys thought on adding something else to do with the charms or make them stack better?

This is not exact number but I already have over 400 lesser charms. I have weeks of supply and yes I do a ton of dailies. Yet it's going to stockpile more and more eating my bag space.

Is there any chance on increasing on how much they stack even more?

I'm not aware of making any changes to the charms currently. I'll pass along the stacking concern.
90 Goblin Death Knight
If you're an enchanter you have to do a minimum of 3 weeks of dailies just to get the high-end enchants unlocked, two weeks to get Golden Lotus to revered and another week to get Shado-Pan to revered after that... and that's only if you quested through Towlong Steppes.

If you didn't? Sucks... guess you'll be stuck with Windsong which doesnt even proc correctly.
90 Human Rogue
There's a little thing called Elder Charm of Good Fortune.
90 Orc Shaman
The complaint is that people who want to push content (whatever that means to the individual), is that they feel this grind to be a required thing, to get the various VP gear, to push character power higher, so that it helps them kill the bosses more easily, rather than being "undergeared".

For some, like those pushing world firsts and heroics, it makes sense, that they'd resent an extra fence between the stepping stone gear they want. Those pushing normal raid content, or being more casual about it, still want the gear for the same reason, but it's not as important for them to have it (from a purely need before greed standpoint).

For others, who don't intend to raid at all, they're complaining that the VP gear isn't just automatically available, because they feel they should get it without any additional effort, like in Wrath and Cata.

My personal beef, is the extended gating behind August Celestials and Shado-Pan. August Celestials more than Shado-Pan.

I'm got Loremaster of Pandaria, and no where did I encounter a single quest line or chain, other than opening Vale, that granted rep with Celestials.

You start the dailies at nuetral, unless you've gotten a peace pipe or two, and it takes you what looks like a week or more, just to get honored, with no repeatable rep turns in, like Golden Lotus or Klaxxi, where you can farm Cache Keys or Dread Amber Shards, to get to your gear faster.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
[quote]

The other raid enchants which are bracers and weapons they are harder to access. Yet they will last you the entire expansion.

Which effectively means you are forced to do them. AND ASAP if your raiding to min/max.
Edited by Malemort on 10/11/2012 10:28 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/11/2012 08:49 AMPosted by Naljara
also a lot of people dont raid but want to get epic'd out so the only way for them to do that is to buy valor gear.

Well to the people who dont raid what's the rush for valor gear than? Geuss they'll have to wait to look cool with a high dps output in heroics. Besides it would take almost three weeks to get pants or chest with valor cap at 1000 a week.

I personaly hit i463 with one valor necklace that you get before you exalted.
90 Worgen Death Knight

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

When I hit 90 before you made the changes to JP and moved some of the VP items to honored the only way to get the ilvl to enter heroics was to buy crafted PVP gear because you (blizzard) didn't provide a way to get gear outside of rep grinds.

The best part about this is season 12 pvp gear is still the best gear you can use to PVE right now. Seems to be a disconnect on the part of the developers when they say you dont need to pve to pvp and vice versa. Apparently if you want to min/max and be good at the game you need to pvp to pve and pve to pvp since you neglected to give us a pvp weapon.

If that was the only way you found to get into heroics then you willfully ignored most, if not all of the entire dread wastes zone. simply doing the quests there and in townlong to a lesser extent, will get you the ilvl required to start heroics. so, in essence, your entirely wrong, congratulations.
90 Draenei Shaman
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

Yes, that is true, however with the ilvl to get into the LFR raids beyond the vaults, you still need to be ilvl 470 I believe, and it's completely random whether or not you are going to win something in one particular week of LFR so doing the dailies is still the best way to give your ilvl that boost, I know that it doesn't really matter as that content has not even been released yet so I have plenty of time to get to that level. Ultimately yes, we can instant gear and LFR only if we want to, but I think of a lot of us feel that in order to gear up QUICKLY we have to do dailies, which is what is making our alts less viable for raiding etc. I do acknowledge though that Blizzard has been looking into all of this, by bringing down the minimum ilvl to enter heroics etc, which is good to see.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

Dailies ARE requipred!!!!!!!!!!! don't try to lie to us, you made every possible good recipe rep required. ya, they are there to do if you want anything. and a lot of VP gear is still at friggen revered
90 Gnome Mage
Thank you, Neth.

While many people (myself included) won't like your answer, it is greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I'm really sorry lots of people will attack you relentlessly for being the messenger. Please know tons of us still love you.
Edited by Analt on 10/11/2012 10:49 AM PDT
86 Undead Hunter
The only really point you missed completely are those pesky rep-bought tradeskill patterns.

those make dailies "required" at least until you're honored or whatever to buy said patterns.

I speak chiefly of the three shado-pan enchants, but I'm sure other classes have similar "raid-useful" patterns hiding in there too.

To get my main his shado-pan rep. I need lotus at revered. If I had the option to get lotus rep without doing lotus dailies (Like, even a tabard with a daily limit) I'd be doing that instead. I'm pretty burned out from lotus now. I'll slowly and begrudgingly get to revered and then drop it like it's hot.
90 Undead Rogue
I'm definately pushing Tillers because of the Spirit of Harmony access. About to 90 with 2nd character.
90 Human Rogue
[quote]

The other raid enchants which are bracers and weapons they are harder to access. Yet they will last you the entire expansion.

Which effectively means you are forced to do them. AND ASAP if your raiding to min/max.

No you aren't. Use the Auction House.
I would like to point out, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you feel the gear is needed it will only be a temporary set of gear anyway.

Blizzard has already stated several times that the current plan is to move away from using VP to buy gear and using it instead to purchase improvements to existing gear.

Also to the person who claimed earlier that it was impossible to gear for heroics before they hotfixed JP...I just have to shake my head at you. Most of the people I know hit level 90 and were geared without having to purchase a piece of gear. Including me as a tank. (And no, I didn't buy my chest piece, I won it when it dropped of a random mob in a heroic).
90 Undead Mage
Posted by Bomdanil
This is actually wrong.

It was hotfixed so that you didn't need them for Shado-pan and August Celestials, but initially this was true.

You don't need golden lotus anymore? When did that change?

This is what confuses me...I still have the quest to get to REVERED with golden lotus before I can move on to shadow pan rep grinding....can someone explain??
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]