Why do people think dailies are "required"?

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/11/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Marathel
Which effectively means you are forced to do them. AND ASAP if your raiding to min/max.

So? It's an one time thing.

Cataclysm you had to drop thousands of gold for the brace enchants.

I haven't seen any complaints about the enchanting items. Because people are smart enough to realize they are going to last them the entire expansion so it's worth the grind.

It wasn't thousands and I make gold doing whatever activity I choose to do. You don't hear them complain specifically about the enchants but you hear them complain about the grind all the time because the rewards on them are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to good for "optional" content. The enchants are one example.
Edited by Malemort on 10/11/2012 10:31 AM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
Why do people keep saying that others think dailies are required. The posts I have seen are actually just asking for an alternative way to get rep because grinding the dailies is monotonous and boring.

Reputation is required for crafting patterns and enchants. And those you can attain at lower than exalted (read honored) but first you must attain revered (read mind numbingly boring repetitive tasks that take hours to complete and take up all of your time after work so you do not get to experience any other part of the game) with Golden Lotus before you can start.

So OK none of this is required, mandatory, absolutely necessary etc. etc. but why take such a large portion of the game experience and lock it behind reputation that you can only gain through performing repetitive daily tasks. No one is saying get rid of the dailies, we are only asking for alternatives.

Suggestions:
1. Rep tabards
2. Daily dungeons
3. Crafting turn ins
4. Gathering quests (Herbs, nodes, fish, archeology)
100 Blood Elf Mage
The only thing required about dailies in a sense are the charms but that's something you can quickly stock up.

Hey Neth have you guys thought on adding something else to do with the charms or make them stack better?

This is not exact number but I already have over 400 lesser charms. I have weeks of supply and yes I do a ton of dailies. Yet it's going to stockpile more and more eating my bag space.

Is there any chance on increasing on how much they stack even more?

I'm not aware of making any changes to the charms currently. I'll pass along the stacking concern.

Can we just make a currency on our currency tab and we just buy 3 elder ones every week? would be easier then holding onto them personally... i got 3+ stacks now
90 Night Elf Druid
10/11/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Bomdanil
This is actually wrong.

It was hotfixed so that you didn't need them for Shado-pan and August Celestials, but initially this was true.

Wait, when did this happen? I still have the quests in my logs telling me to get Golden Lotus to revered.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

So I can get valor gear without dailies?

My enchants without them?

So much stuff is tied to those dailies to say you do not need to do them is not being very honest.

Heck to fly the new mounts you need to do dailies.

For some reason Blizzard even tied grinding dailies to the mounts that get released this expansion which is the first time I have ever seen that before.
1 Orc Warrior
[quote]

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

NO THAT IS INCORRECT. what a joke - have you ever raided in a guild? That is 100% incorrect for even a "casual", normal-mode raiding guild. It might be correct for those that just do random dungeons and LFR.

You CANNOT show up to your guild's progression raids and announce "Can't be bothered with dailies, I'm just gonna wing it during our raids, now give me dkp and loot". Can't do that as a trial or even a "regular" member, you'll get replaced. and laughed at. I can just imagine being asked "hey don't you have any valor gear, what are you doing with your 1000 points/week?" and going "I'm just letting it cap, hey guys I can't spend ANY valor because I read WE DON'T HAVE TO DO DAILIES TO RAID" haha funny right guys? /gkick

Raiding is about efficiently progressing with everyone contributing, and the way you GET THOSE 496+ EPICS is by showing up in as many 476 and 489 epics as possible. And months from now, even after you get geared and exalted and are doing hardmodes YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO GRIND OUT DAILIES to get the 3 weekly tokens for chance at extra loot.
Edited by Zulnakhavik on 10/11/2012 10:40 AM PDT
100 Troll Priest
its faster to gear up in 489 gear from factions, than it is in raids. thats jsut my experience.

Also the Valor Point gear offer's nice fillers.

for example, next week i can get rid of ilvl 450 PVP shoulders and replace them with ilvl 489 shoulders, awesome. and due to the cap and the way it works, immediately after getting those shoulders i will need to farm valor point gear for 2 more days and get another 489 epic.

the more dailies you do to get rep, the more you unlock. currently i can get 250 VP just by doing 2 hours of dailies. to pthat off with a 30 valor point scenario+a 60 valor point RDF+ a 90 OR 45 valor point LFR= good day of valor point farming for epic gear!

Yeah too bad we're capped at 1000 valor a week which is not enough to buy one thing.
89 Dwarf Death Knight
PIE!!!!!!!
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm not sure why lesser charms aren't just put in the currency tab with the greater charms. That would really alleviate the problem and (unless there's a game related reason I'm unaware of, which is certainly possible.) I'm not really sure why it wasn't implemented like that in the first place.
90 Worgen Priest
And again the "need for speed" is the battlecall of the faux elietest mindset "Need for dailies"
Slow down or get over yourself. (there are medications for people like that)
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/11/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Melenia

It was hotfixed so that you didn't need them for Shado-pan and August Celestials, but initially this was true.

Wait, when did this happen? I still have the quests in my logs telling me to get Golden Lotus to revered.

Yea that's news to me as well. I don't need revered with lotus to begin shado pan and celestials?
16 Troll Druid

This is simply not accurate or your being just a tad bit disingenuous. The charms for my raid group require that I farm dailies. Same for the patterns. Furthermore let's assume someone DOESN'T raid but still want's to progress their characters. Well then at some point they need to run dailies to gear up because that is one of the few available paths to them.

No their was one way and one way to insure that dailies don't feel required at all and you guys know this. That is to make sure their is absolutely NOTHING on the vendors that could be used for character progression. NOTHING. Not a thing.

I have to agree. What Neth said is disingenuous as vp gear, charms and multiple profession patterns are all tied to rep.

If vp gear and profession patterns were not tied to rep, or if rep were able to be earned through multiple means, then saying dailies are not required would be correct.

And of course dailies are so obviously a content gate with a huge time sink just to delay the player base as Blizzard obviously doesn't have any new content to release any time soon.

Why Blizzard cannot just admit the truth is beyond me.

And as I've said before in other posts, I'd be ok with gating to help match player content consumption with Blizzard's ability to create new content, but not by forcing me to participate in aspect of the game I do not enjoy.

And while we are talking about progression, let me ask the following; why is it ok for PVP players to be able to earn more top level currency each week (conquest point cap is 1350 at a minimum, higher with rating) by doing less (2s for points lol) while having no reputations required to spend their currency?
Edited by Natalana on 10/11/2012 10:33 AM PDT
100 Orc Warlock

Nathaera, you are overlooking a big problem with the gated (necessary) daily grind: weapon enchants, spell threads, a steady supply of golden lotus for flasks (via Tillers), mats for feasts/banquets, and epic patterns (for gold making really) are all locked behind daily quest.

For example, both caster weapon enchants are broken for casters so we are using Power Torrent until we can unlock the Jade Spirit enchant which.....yep, requires daily rep grind with golden lotus followed by daily rep grind with Shado-Pan

If this isn't the definition of required for raiding, I don't know what is.
Edited by Scath on 10/11/2012 10:33 AM PDT
100 Troll Hunter
10/11/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Bomdanil
This is actually wrong.

What? Are you sure? I have never seen any patch notes regarding this change.

As of right now, I still have the quests that REQUIRE me to be revered with Golden Lotus , before I am allowed to start doing dailies for Shado-pan and August Celestials.
90 Undead Warlock
I would

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

I will not disagree with what you stated, Nethaera, but I'd like to ask you - if i don't do dailies to open up access to VP gear - what (currently) do I spend Valor Points on? What would (currently) be the point of obtaining Valor Points then? To convert to Conquest Points?

Dailies are required if you:

A) want to maximize your current potential when progressing through raid content

B) want to (actually) use the primary currency earned to purchase more powerful (PvE) gear

C) want to fully utilize your professions (recipes - most unlocked at honored, more sought after recipes unlocked at revered or exalted)

This will change in the future (uses of VP), but we are talking about now.
90 Human Paladin

No it doesn't really work that way, Any smart Leader wants his Raiders in the best pre raid gear available and that means doing dailies. Plus you need the Rep for enchants and other things.

Doing dailies are required if you are even semi serious at raiding however if you are not than sure ignore the dailies no will care anyway.
90 Human Rogue
its faster to gear up in 489 gear from factions, than it is in raids. thats jsut my experience.

Also the Valor Point gear offer's nice fillers.

for example, next week i can get rid of ilvl 450 PVP shoulders and replace them with ilvl 489 shoulders, awesome. and due to the cap and the way it works, immediately after getting those shoulders i will need to farm valor point gear for 2 more days and get another 489 epic.

the more dailies you do to get rep, the more you unlock. currently i can get 250 VP just by doing 2 hours of dailies. to pthat off with a 30 valor point scenario+a 60 valor point RDF+ a 90 OR 45 valor point LFR= good day of valor point farming for epic gear!

Yeah too bad we're capped at 1000 valor a week which is not enough to buy one thing.

You say that like it hasn't been that way for years now.
70 Undead Priest
I was able to get into heroics just from the quest gear I picked up. Now, mind you, I did have to quest a bit longer once I was at level 90 to get the gear, but it is all available without doing dailies.

I do have a slight issue with this system. I did a large amount of questing while getting from 85-90, and I shouldn't have to choose between questing more, or dailies, or doing the same 4 dungeons I ran endless times from 85-90. The removing of level 90 "normal" instances was saddening for a new 90. "I'm gonna go do lvl 90 instances!!! Nope.....more questing."

And I hate LFR loot......I always liked seeing what dropped even if I didn't win something.

Blizz did a good job with this xpac, all in all. Extreme improvement on Cata.
100 Pandaren Monk
you don't HAVE to do anything... it's just that doing some things help you get to your goals earlier and easier... :)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]