Why do people think dailies are "required"?

1 Gnome Priest

Hey Neth have you guys thought on adding something else to do with the charms or make them stack better?

They stack to 180 as of a recent hotfix.
100 Goblin Warlock
Yes, it is required, here are six of many reasons.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=84584
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84580
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84583

http://www.wowhead.com/item=84561
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84557
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84559
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

This is simply not accurate or your being just a tad bit disingenuous. The charms for my raid group require that I farm dailies. Same for the patterns. Furthermore let's assume someone DOESN'T raid but still want's to progress their characters. Well then at some point they need to run dailies to gear up because that is one of the few available paths to them.

No their was one way and one way to insure that dailies don't feel required at all and you guys know this. That is to make sure their is absolutely NOTHING on the vendors that could be used for character progression. NOTHING. Not a thing.

I have to agree. What Neth said is disingenuous as vp gear, charms and multiple profession patterns are all tied to rep.

If vp gear and profession patterns were not tied to rep, or if rep were able to be earned through multiple means, then saying dailies are not required would be correct.

And of course dailies are so obviously a content gate with a huge time sink just to delay the player base as Blizzard obviously doesn't have any new content to release any time soon.

Why Blizzard cannot just admit the truth is beyond me.

And as I've said before in other posts, I'd be ok with gating to help match player content consumption with Blizzard's ability to create new content, but not by forcing me to participate in aspect of the game I do not enjoy.

And while we are talking about progression, let me ask the following; why is it ok for PVP players to be able to earn more top level currency each week (conquest point cap is 1350 at a minimum, higher with rating) by doing less (2s for points lol) while having no reputations required to spend their currency?

It doesn't make sense though. Alot of this stuff is gated already by the VP cap. Their was no reason to put another hard gate in front of that one already. To get every valor piece it will take me like 13-14 weeks assuming I slog it out with the abysmal valor gains. Are they saying in 3 months they won't have another raid or dungeon down the pipe line already?

Look I don't get how they can on the one hand say the 5% dps talent under the old raiding system didn't give you any choice really but then say dailies (which offer rewards relatively as significant as the 5% dps talent) are not? I mean the 5% dps talent REALLY wasn't mandatory in the old talent system, I could have taken the utility talents and been on my way. But according to Blizzard that wasn't what happened so the talent system was overhauled to provide choice. I don't get where this disconnect comes from...
Edited by Malemort on 10/11/2012 10:38 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Monk
[/quote]Chess is not a video game.[/quote]

I've got a copy of it on my iphone. Used to have one for SNES I belive. There are several copies for any computer operating system out there.
90 Night Elf Druid

Wait, when did this happen? I still have the quests in my logs telling me to get Golden Lotus to revered.

Yea that's news to me as well. I don't need revered with lotus to begin shado pan and celestials?

Yeah, I just dropped the quests and I could pick them back up again from the NPCs, still requires revered.
100 Draenei Shaman
That's the point Pandao, that if you want to gear up your alts for raiding, then yes, you have to do long grinds. On the bright side, Blizzard have spoken about making rep grinds less tedious in a future patch, so what I might do is get my alts to 90 in my spare time while getting to exalted on as many factions as possible in Pandaria on this chick, so once the time comes, my alts will be a lot more viable.
You don't have to have EVERY single improvement possible before entering a raid instance.

Get what you can, get your raid in, maybe you'll down some bosses, then go back and out and continue dailying.

Its as though nothing can happen until you unlock valor on every faction. Well, it can. Just shut up and go do it and stop complaining.
90 Human Monk
Disclaimer: First day at 90, so I might be missing something here.

So I just hit 90 and the general consensus I've been hearing is that you "HAVE" to do dailies in order to gear up. From the research I've done, I disagree.

Epics from each faction's quartermasters are iLvl 489. The Mogu'shan Vaults normal difficulty offers iLvl 489 gear. Heart of Fear normal offers iLvl 496. From what I'm seeing, there are no necessary enchants from these vendors like there were from say, Sons of Hodir in WOTLK.

I don't understand why people see it as required to do this when you can get the same gear from raiding. Isn't that preferred anyway vs. just grinding out reps? I don't think I've overlooked anything and from what I'm seeing, this is absolutely false. Just looking for reasons why people believe this to be honest.

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

I think most of us recognize this is what it should be like, and it is pretty close. The issue is, What do we do with Valor Points? We get a lot of Valor Points for doing Heroics and Raids, but if we don't like doing dailies, they are useless, which is upsetting, we have these points we're getting from doing the content we want to do, but we can't use them for anything unless we do dailies.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
The only really point you missed completely are those pesky rep-bought tradeskill patterns.

those make dailies "required" at least until you're honored or whatever to buy said patterns.

I speak chiefly of the three shado-pan enchants, but I'm sure other classes have similar "raid-useful" patterns hiding in there too.

To get my main his shado-pan rep. I need lotus at revered. If I had the option to get lotus rep without doing lotus dailies (Like, even a tabard with a daily limit) I'd be doing that instead. I'm pretty burned out from lotus now. I'll slowly and begrudgingly get to revered and then drop it like it's hot.
You need Shado-Pan AND August Celestials as an enchanter for the BiS Weapon Enchants AND the BiS Bracer Enchants.
16 Troll Druid
10/11/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Chocolatte

It was hotfixed so that you didn't need them for Shado-pan and August Celestials, but initially this was true.

What? Are you sure? I have never seen any patch notes regarding this change.

As of right now, I still have the quests that REQUIRE me to be revered with Golden Lotus , before I am allowed to start doing dailies for Shado-pan and August Celestials.

Unless there was another hotfix, the only thing that changed was making some offset pieces of vp gear available at honored.

Shado-Pan honored reputation was possible for humans to hit before doing Golden Lotus by doing every quest in the game with Shado-Pan rep (maybe others as well with a Sha kill).

However, it is not possible to obtain reputation with Celestial until revered with Golden Lotus, nor was the rep requirement removed from all vp gear and or any of the profession patterns.
90 Human Rogue
10/11/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Requîtal
Doing dailies are required if you are even semi serious at raiding however if you are not than sure ignore the dailies no will care anyway.

My priest has done a grand total of 10 daily quests and is at an item level of 471. Required? Don't think so.

Yes, it is required, here are six of many reasons.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=84584
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84580
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84583

http://www.wowhead.com/item=84561
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84557
http://www.wowhead.com/item=84559

Not required. All of those will be available through the auction house in the coming weeks.

10/11/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Melenia
Yeah, I just dropped the quests and I could pick them back up again from the NPCs, still requires revered.

He was referring to the hot fix on Justice Point gear requiring reputation.
100 Troll Hunter

Hey Neth have you guys thought on adding something else to do with the charms or make them stack better?

They stack to 180 as of a recent hotfix.

I do every single daily for every faction every day.

I currently have 360+ lesser charms. In a matter of weeks, my bag space will surely run out due to them.

While I am not complaining about doing dailies, I do wish that Blizzard does something to help, like maybe make the coins stack up to 1000.
90 Troll Death Knight
The only thing required about dailies in a sense are the charms but that's something you can quickly stock up.

This is not exact number but I already have over 400 lesser charms. I have weeks of supply and yes I do a ton of dailies. Yet it's going to stockpile more and more eating my bag space.

Is there any chance on increasing on how much they stack even more?

I'm not aware of making any changes to the charms currently. I'll pass along the stacking concern.

Neth, I think the concern here isn't just about having to do dailies, but that this expansion's selling points were about choice. We were told that we would have so many choices about how to get points and to progress, that there would be multiple, vaible ways to play. But in the end, there is literally one way to spend the valor points you earn, and it doesn't matter if you prefer doing dungeons or scenarios over questing, if you don't do dailies then all you have is a pile of useless currency in your bags that's only good for getting conquest points. And then there's the issue of returning or new players later on in the expansion, how will they be able to progress? Unless they go back and do old dailies for weeks they won't be able to get valor gear to catch up. That is, of course, unless we get fireland-like dailies every patch, except this time they will gate all the new valor gear.

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

I think most of us recognize this is what it should be like, and it is pretty close. The issue is, What do we do with Valor Points? We get a lot of Valor Points for doing Heroics and Raids, but if we don't like doing dailies, they are useless, which is upsetting, we have these points we're getting from doing the content we want to do, but we can't use them for anything unless we do dailies.

They're going to introduce a system where you spend valor to upgrade already existing gear. It's interesting but ultimately flat. Like let's hypothetically say I've had these shoulders for a month now. Upgrading them is fine but really nothing is as rewarding as getting a new piece of gear. Im afriad this system will come out and they'll say that's that no other changes needed.
90 Human Priest
10/11/2012 09:19 AMPosted by Mescyn
Arguably, i've fallen behind by a lot. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my gm's measurement of my progress is based not on my priests rep/day but on my shamans xp/day.

Me too brother priest, me too.
90 Tauren Paladin
10/11/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Dippindotss
Chess is not a video game.

No, but computers can still beat a Human at it 99% of the time.
You don't have to have EVERY single improvement possible before entering a raid instance.

I didn't need the 5% dps talent before entering the raid either yet....
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]