What makes a Mary Sue in your opinion?

1 Blood Elf Paladin
Here here!

Tell me Moon Guard, in your own words, what makes a Mary Sue? An over powered, seemingly unstoppable, plot-armour clad apex of supremacy-bound writing.

Do tell, in point form, in essay format, or just do whatever the hell you want.

Let's just talk about this.

GO!
Edited by Iamgurvir on 10/2/2012 8:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Being closely related to a lore character, for one.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Anyone who roleplays something I don't like.

As per the standard definiion.
Reply Quote
A shallow character with little to no development and only exists to get attention or praise for their maker. Lots of qualities to typical sues, so I thought I'd make it broad.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Thrall.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
A Mary Sue is usually created by a writer who is inexperienced with seeing the joys of character diversity and strife. What makes a Mary Sue, in my opinion, is not necessarily character traits, but rather, a writer's inability to empathize with other people and therefore characters that are different from themselves. It can be easily changed when learning what is and is not accepted when roleplaying with others. As well as, socializing with people on IC and OOC levels to understand what appeals to you as a writer.

An alternative and valid outlook: Mary Sues are not inherently bad because what draws one person to roleplaying may be the ability to act out fantasies and adventures they cannot do in real life. Other people are drawn to roleplaying because it's an interactive form of writing and therefore those people are prone to not be accepting of the other play style aka "Mary Sues".
Edited by Systar on 10/2/2012 8:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A Mary Sue is usually created by a writer who is inexperienced with seeing the joys of character diversity and strife. What makes a Mary Sue, in my opinion, is not necessarily character traits, but rather, a writer's inability to empathize with other people and therefore characters that are different from themselves. It can be easily changed when learning what is and is not accepted when roleplaying with others. As well as, socializing with people on IC and OOC levels to understand what appeals to you as a writer.

An alternative and valid outlook: Mary Sues are not inherently bad because what draws one person to roleplaying may be the ability to act out fantasies and adventures they cannot do in real life. Other people are drawn to roleplaying because it's an interactive form of writing and therefore those people are prone to not be accepting of the other play style aka "Mary Sues".

Truth.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Anyone who doesn't adhere to the strict rules and regulations of their race like myself being a cenarion circle member yet a human >:(
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
Someone who claims to be the Alliances first Sin'dorei, and who supposedly inspired all the others to come here. :|
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/02/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Riodrian
Someone who pretends to be the opposite faction, spams yells, talks smack, and then hides behind the fact their name is blue also to keep from the ramifications of their actions.

1+
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
To me a Mary Sue is someone who must ALWAYS be the center of attention. No matter what is going on. They scream for attention one way or another. Even when supposedly focusing on someone else, they manage to turn everything on them. Sometimes people do it unintentionally. Usually pretty easy to tell when someone is doing it unintentionally cause if you ask them to knock it off - they do. Those who don't back off when asked - they are the true Mary Sues.
Edited by Meekamu on 10/2/2012 9:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/02/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Riodrian
Someone who pretends to be the opposite faction, spams yells, talks smack, and then hides behind the fact their name is blue also to keep from the ramifications of their actions.

^
That was awesome, lol
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/02/2012 09:23 PMPosted by Meekamu
To me a Mary Sue is someone who must ALWAYS be the center of attention. No matter what is going on. They scream for attention one way or another. Even when supposedly focusing on someone else, they manage to turn everything on them. Sometimes people do it unintentionally. Usually pretty easy to tell when someone is doing it unintentionally cause if you ask them to knock it off - they do. Those who don't back off when asked - they are the true Mary Sues.

^ Fact.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/02/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Shennae

^ Fact.

iirc, Shennae's Headlands brogue is pretty much impossible for anyone to exist, you mary sue.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Someone who breaks suspension of disbelief. We're willing to accept a lot of different things, due to the nature of this being a fantasy universe, but it's a fantasy universe that has certain rules, logic, and story to it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/02/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Ferenold

^ Fact.

iirc, Shennae's Headlands brogue is pretty much impossible for anyone to exist, you mary sue.

I don't need a brogue I just sleep my way up the status quo.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Here here!

Tell me Moon Guard, in your own words, what makes a Mary Sue? An over powered, seemingly unstoppable, plot-armour clad apex of supremacy-bound writing.

Do tell, in point form, in essay format, or just do whatever the hell you want.

Let's just talk about this.

GO!

I just want to start by saying that Gurvir isn't the first alliance blood elf. He isn't even the first alliance blood elf RPer. He's just a loud poster on these forums

I think a Mary Sue, in terms of roleplaying, is someone who godmodes, powergames, and metagames.

It has nothing to do with a specific trait like being a half-breed, dragon, alliance blood elf, relative to a lore character, or whatever.

People associate those things together because Mary Sues have a tendency to also be one (or more) of those things. But being those things isn't what makes them bad.

Someone isn't a good RPer if they RP a human from northshire. I mean, they -might- be. But that wouldn't be what makes them a good RPer.

In the same vein, being a dragon or a naga or a half-breed or related to a lore character or the guy who killed Arthas does't make someone a bad RPer. They -might- be bad, but that isn't what would make them bad.

Honestly, I think it would be cool for RP-PvE guilds to compete for the right to say they killed X boss by getting the realm first. If they were good RPers I would just accept it and roll with it. If they were jerks I'd ignore them.
Edited by Frostytroll on 10/3/2012 2:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lilian Voss.
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
frost trolls are total sues imo
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]