Mogu’shan “Guardians” Tank/Raid Leader PoV

90 Human Warrior
Hello Velen, Our guild Reckless went into Mogu’shan vaults Tuesday night and I wanted to share our experience with that encounter. Fist let me start out by saying we did not down the Guardians and we did post logs on world of logs for everyone to see our mistakes. We had a few things going against us; your guild may find similar issues.

1. We did not have everyone in BiS pre raid gear.
2. We had to pug 1 spot so our raid time was cut back to 1 hour.
3. Not everyone knew the encounter as well as they should.

The issues listed below were specific to our raid comp and experience.

1. Tricks and misdirection caused some delay in taunting. However once identified it was corrected and was no longer an issue.
2. Jasper Chains hit like a truck and the best way we found was to have the pair chained move in to heal up then back out. The time to break chains is cumulative so you can move in and out to allow healers to catch up.
3. Petrification debuff was completely absent we couldn’t see what guardian was casing petrification and how many stacks we had. However we still had dbm warnings and a small rune placed under the guardian casting petrification for a visual reference, this did not resolve our issues with knowing how many stacks we had.

Tonight our guild will have a plus delta meeting regarding the raid. We will highlight the positives and identify the items that need to be changed. One of the items will be: can a tank be an effective raid leader with the active mitigation model?

My point of view as the raid leader and tank was overwhelming. Do I have enough rage to shield block is shield block up who’s casting petrification what’s the energy level of the other guardian is shield block up who has jasper chains do I need to intervene them do I have rage to shield block is overload about to go off should I call for a raid cd?

I welcome any advice from experienced tanks/raid leaders. If I’m having a difficult time now I think it may be beneficial to reroll my resto druid.

Thanks everyone I hope you can learn from our experience and good luck.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
i always though any type of melee can be the hardest, in cata anyways, to raid lead. Heals was a bit easier, but really raid leading should only come down to the leader announcing things. People should already know what they should be doing, casting, or where they should be standing. I know im prolly preaching to the choir lol, and i know its different when its your first attempt(s) on a brand new boss encounter, just keep at it. Learn from your mistakes. Weed out the baddies. Some people just arent meant to be raiders in PROGRESSION based raiding. Ive learned that greatly this past expac, ive had to say goodbye to a lot of fellow raiders cuz they were just casuals. Nothing wrong with being casual. But we wanted Progression.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/03/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Blademist
2. Jasper Chains hit like a truck and the best way we found was to have the pair chained move in to heal up then back out. The time to break chains is cumulative so you can move in and out to allow healers to catch up.

Try to only break them when the Jasper Guardian is charging up his petrification. Reduces the damage they do by a fair amount.

10/03/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Blademist
Petrification debuff was completely absent we couldn’t see what guardian was casing petrification and how many stacks we had.

The extra bar that fills up at the bottom of the screen wasn't showing up? That sounds like a UI/buggy addon issue :<
Edited by Gistwiki on 10/11/2012 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Brugarude, Gistwiki it’s always welcomed to get feedback from admired and respected members of the community such as your selves. Just to clarify that was the night the raid was first available and the UI bug where we didn’t get the extra energy bar was happening to all of raid members, the second week in it was very clearly visible. We adjusted our jasper chain strategy to not break them unless the jasper guardian has 25 to 50 percent petrification. Getting a new raid team together has been difficult but we got a DK tank now so I can go back to healing on my main. Lylas has been my main here on Velen for a long time now so I am very happy to be raiding with him again. Reckless is a very casual guild while we do like to raid and pvp, we never claimed to be elites and the post was intended to help the Velen raid community both horde and alliance from making the same mistakes we made. I didn’t post a direct link to our world of logs because I think that’s a violation of forum policy, but I made no attempts to hide the data. Thanks and good luck to everyone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]