Killing Blows, Damage, or Honorable Kills

72 Undead Rogue
Aside from the team objective that determines win or losses which do you think is the proper measurement?

Killing blows are good but if your grouped up only one person can get them. People will assist you when they see you fighting and might get the kill. I think it can even out over the course of the BG but still has issues.

Damage is good but can easily become skewed if your fighting a healer 1 on1 like a pally who has ridiculous instant heals but not much damage

I would even mention honorable kills because I seem to get plenty just running across the field and people with who end up with littel damage and no KBs can have a lot of HK. The reason i included it is because it is the only one of the three Blizz has an achievement for.

Personally, I ignore HKs and look for a good ratio between KBs and Damage. With the edge to damage. This is in general but if there is a healer that wont die but is with the flag carrier or just casuing problems. You dont get many KBs.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Fewest deaths, greatest damage/healing.
Edited by Viciall on 10/3/2012 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
outside the actual objectives: damage - can't get kbs or hks without it.

at the same time kbs is nothing more then getting the last kill, and hks are just being within range.

a great example of this would be affliction locks, with the entire team dotted up that produces huge amount of pressure on any healers yet may have low to zero actual kbs,
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
outside the actual objectives: damage - can't get kbs or hks without it.

at the same time kbs is nothing more then getting the last kill, and hks are just being within range.

a great example of this would be affliction locks, with the entire team dotted up that produces huge amount of pressure on any healers yet may have low to zero actual kbs,

You said it well, damage is the most accurate.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Most damage, most killing blows, least deaths, and median amount of HK's.

But not everybody can be #1.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
I often find least deaths to be a measure of how good you are at escaping situations. While it's a good skill to have, if you bail on any teammates in the process you aren't really helping.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Very often the players with the most damage and HKs are helping the least, because they are mindlessly fighting and ignoring objectives. These are NOT good metrics for who is contributing the most.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Op
Add a Deathmatch BG, it would remove some of the players who are not playing the BG objectives.

Been waiting for a Deathmatch BG for a long time...common Blizz you can do it!!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Add a Deathmatch BG, it would remove some of the players who are not playing the BG objectives.

Temple says hai.

On topic, I look at the top of the scoreboard to see who did best at the end of a bg.

"Horde Wins"
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Flag captures and flags defended or gates destoryed are the only thing that matters, its not areana
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
10/03/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Thegremlin
Flag captures and flags defended or gates destoryed are the only thing that matters, its not areana

10/03/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Faenya
Very often the players with the most damage and HKs are helping the least, because they are mindlessly fighting and ignoring objectives. These are NOT good metrics for who is contributing the most.

Aside from the team objective that determines win or losses which do you think is the proper measurement?
-Original Post

Premise, what is it?

Of course though, also having the most flag captures, defends, along with the most damage, KB's, and least deaths... is the best. Truly, truly gods among mortals.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest

They did... that temple BG. Didn't remove a single window licker from the other BGs.
Reply Quote
12 Blood Elf Priest
I don't think it's particularly wise to try to determine the effectiveness of a player based solely on scoreboard stats (especially sans objectives). It's sort of like trying to recreate a baseball game based on the box score. Sure, it will give you an idea of what happened, but you won't have the full picture (or the slo-mo replay of that controversial call, etc.).

High Damage + Low Killing Blows = a) Someone attacking inefficiently - like somebody with a pocket healer? Or maybe b) someone who is beating the pants off of everyone, only to have the kill sniped by another player who one-shots the nearly-dead enemy?

Low Damage + High Killing Blows = a) Somebody who is "stealing" kills - for example, using high-damage instants to finish off an enemy that was going to die to a teammate anyway? Or maybe b) selecting prime targets, picking off the almost dead before they have a chance to - or perhaps while trying to - eat/bandage/heal?

How do you know the difference between outright kill-stealing and an assist unless you saw it? I've been on both sides of the equation. When I'm fighting somebody and I'm at or near full health, haven't blown any cooldowns, and my opponent is on his last legs, I get upset when a rogue ambushes to finish him off or a DK deathgrips him 30 yards away from me to land the KB. I put in the effort and I deserved the stats as a reward. On the other hand, I've also been in close battles, where both my toon and my opponent are struggling to stay up. In those instances I welcome assistance and thank the guy who saved my butt with his timely heal/kill.

I've also been in the situation where I didn't get help, emerged victorious from the scuffle, and then was insta-gibbed by an ambush before I could get combat-ready again. Although I admit my first thought is always "F'ing rogues" (albeit in less forum-friendly language), it's always followed by understanding and respect. I understand why I was a prime target for the rogue/kitty to finish off and I would do the same in that situation. If I can't get to the fight fast enough to save my teammate, I can at least make sure the guy who killed him gets a trip to the graveyard, too. You don't want somebody who wins the close battles to get a second wind and find someone else to maul. You take a page out of Barney Fife's book and nip it in the bud.

The thing is, all of those scenarios play out the same way on the scoreboard (low damage, high kills). That, to me, is why you need to worry less about scoreboards and more about actual play. It's a team game, so teamwork is the important part. If you're helping people that actually need it; cool, you're doing your part. If you're sniping kills to try to pad your stats rather than rendering help where it's needed most, you're not really helping anybody.
Edited by Tempestuous on 10/4/2012 1:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
good offensive dispel (which means ur not dealing as much dmg dmg)and proper CC are the combat tactics that, outside of objectives, decide pivotal wins.

no measurement for those stats
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
10/03/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Faenya

I don't think she realizes that controlling mid wins games.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Whoever is doing all the damage is enabling the kb stealing scum in the first place.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
10/04/2012 03:19 AMPosted by Powerspawn
I don't think she realizes that controlling mid wins games.
I fully understand the tactical effectiveness of controlling mid... but there is a right way & wrong way to do it. The wrong way is 7 DPS on 7 different targets & not a single one is a healer or the EFC. I see this much more often than effectively controlling mid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]