Blacksmithing epics not worth it

90 Draenei Warrior
Example, chest piece requires 8 spirit of harmony and 8 living steel.

Step 1: spend hours farming mobs hoping to collect motes of harmony.
Step 2: spend either days transmuting the steel or huge amounts of gold to acquire it.

So, it can take over a week of grinding on multiple toons to make just this one piece, a piece that is only marginally better than a dungeon blue. Completely not worth the time investment.

Spirit of harmony is such a roadblock for most professions. They should not be soulbound.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Completely agree made 2 pieces then found out Lfr is going to be same level why bother going to all the effort simply wont bother.20 hours farming motes in that stupid cave no ty.

Couldnt even gives us designs on daggers/maces etc as well nope few crappy overated armor designs that are nearly on par with dungeons and soon to be redundant via Lfr.

And jewelcrafting thanks yet again blizz shaft not 1 epic design like rings or necklaces to craft meh at the mounts 20k for a orb and hope they sell pass not sure on other profs but these 2 very poor job yet again.
Edited by Kutkut on 10/5/2012 4:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not thrilled with the whole Spirit of Harmony mess. It reminds me of BC and having to farm for hours to get enough Primals to make 1 piece of substandard armor. The crafting system in this game is really lame, imo. If the gear were worth it I wouldn't mind but it's not. This is the one huge gripe I have with WoW.......the crafting. If there were ever a game to have a really great crafting system I would play it in a heartbeat, lol.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Pretty sure I picked up at least one SoH last night doing Lotus dailies in the Vale. Seemed like motes were dropping off of every other Mogu. The price of living steel has already dropped from 4k to below 1k, will likely drop further, and it only takes an alchemist 120 ghost iron ore per day to make a bar.

Even if you are "forced" to buy the epics off of the AH rather than craft them yourselves, they should still be less then the price of DS crafted gear when essence was going for 5k each. You also have to take into account the inflation of a new expansion, unlimited dailies, and the fact prices have yet to stabilize.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I dont plan to raid much so the best gear i can get are the two crafted pieces. Yeah they arent much better than dungeon blues, but they are better. Just one way for people to get gear the way they want to. I do wish there were specializations again, but thats a dream that has been dead for years.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I'd like to point out one other thing: Look at what tailors and leatherworkers have to do to craft their epics. There is no requirement similar to living steel--they can make all of their own mats that they need to make their epics. Blacksmiths (and engineers) are completely reliant on other people for the mats they need to make these epics.

After reviewing the various crafting professions at level 90, one thing is clear: Very little, if any, discussion or QA/QC was done about how these professions relate to each other, or the ease at which one profession can craft items versus another profession.

In short, the crafting profession system in Pandaria is a mess, and an unpleasant mess at that. Some sort of conceptual framework needs to be agreed upon before work on professions in each expansion is started (it seems like this doesn't even need to be said, but apparently it does). Leveling blacksmithing from Vanilla to Pandaria is a whipsaw of weird requirements and materials. I'm still mystified as to why blacksmiths have to be at the Cataclysm cap to start Pandaria recipes, yet other professions do not have to be at the cap. What is that, other then an oversight that slipped through the development process?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
10/05/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Kalatra
I'd like to point out one other thing: Look at what tailors and leatherworkers have to do to craft their epics. There is no requirement similar to living steel--they can make all of their own mats that they need to make their epics. Blacksmiths (and engineers) are completely reliant on other people for the mats they need to make these epics.

Tailors are bound by time, making one cloth per day that is soulbound. Blacksmithing is bound by gold, they could make gear the first day if they were willing to throw gold at the problem. Not sure about LW, haven't bothered leveling it yet, though leather is a rarity in the game relatively speaking (few skinners).

Yes, the professions are different, but if Blizzard made them all the same, what would be the point? Yeah, maybe you don't like the idea of buying mats from other players, but you are free to give up 640 points of secondary stats to level a different profession. Because they are all not the same, you can choose the playstyle you prefer rather then it being dictated to you. FYI, Blacksmithing has been reliant on professions other then mining since vanilla and arcanite transmutes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The BS items require WAY too many SoH. I found out the other day the LW epics only require 6, on top of that they use Magnificant Hide which aren't on a day CD like Living Steel.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Jozie

Tailors are bound by time, making one cloth per day that is soulbound. Blacksmithing is bound by gold, they could make gear the first day if they were willing to throw gold at the problem. Not sure about LW, haven't bothered leveling it yet, though leather is a rarity in the game relatively speaking (few skinners).

Yes, the professions are different, but if Blizzard made them all the same, what would be the point? Yeah, maybe you don't like the idea of buying mats from other players, but you are free to give up 640 points of secondary stats to level a different profession. Because they are all not the same, you can choose the playstyle you prefer rather then it being dictated to you. FYI, Blacksmithing has been reliant on professions other then mining since vanilla and arcanite transmutes.

You forget that tailoring epics have no SoH requirments vs. BS epics needing 8 of them each. That is a time hurdle far greater then the Imp Silk CD. I am also fairly sick of the entire "that's how it has been done" argument. Games change, and it is stupid to keep linking BS mats to alch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
One thing to look at is the cost, effort, and time per peice in crafting the epic pieces. BS has the highest cost, effort, and a compairible time requirment. Is that balanced?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
games change, and it is stupid to keep linking BS mats to alch.

As a alchemist I DO NOT approve of this message :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/05/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Canti
One thing to look at is the cost, effort, and time per peice in crafting the epic pieces. BS has the highest cost, effort, and a compairible time requirment. Is that balanced?

You just need to be Jack of All Trades or get Master of All. I am the Master :) but seriously it helps to have other profession esp ones that work well with others.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
10/05/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Canti

Highest cost, I will give you that one. Highest time requirement? Not buy a long shot. Tailors have to invest in a DAILY cooldown, they can't just buy a few bars off of the AH because their cloth is soulbound. Scribes have to blow cooldowns for 20 days to craft a staff that they can't even sell.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Highest cost, I will give you that one. Highest time requirement? Not buy a long shot. Tailors have to invest in a DAILY cooldown, they can't just buy a few bars off of the AH because their cloth is soulbound. Scribes have to blow cooldowns for 20 days to craft a staff that they can't even sell.

Sorry bud 16 SoH is a larger time sink then a 10 day CD that can be bypassed with their own SoH use. Edit: wrong thread.
Edited by Canti on 10/5/2012 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Pretty sure you can farm 16 SoH in a day, but lets be conservative a say you can only farm 3 a day. That means a BS has to farm motes for 5 days to craft their two pieces of 476 gear. A tailor, who would also need to farm 3 SoH a day to make additional cloth would also need 5 days to craft their two pieces of 476 gear.

5 days each? Seems balanced to me.

The biggest difference being that the Blacksmith could farm the 16 SoH and craft their item in one day, while the tailor would still need 5 days of cloth cooldowns...unless the tailor wasted yet another day of farming SoH (thus twice the time of the BS), to make the other 5 cloths.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]