Do you need to back peddle as a tank?

90 Undead Warlock
M s key is a bind. Is this a problem or is it alright to strafe with the boss hitting you?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I backpeddle but i also strafe. It depends on the situation. Sometime a slow kite can be helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Like Celyn said, it all depends on the situation. A backpedal is far easier for melee to keep up with while doing full DPS, but sometimes you need the speed of a quick turn-n-strafe. Be ready and able to do both as necessary.
Reply Quote
You can strafe while keeping your face to the mob (continuing to dodge/parry/block), at 179 degrees.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Warrior
If speed is important then strafe + forward while mouse turning your character to steer is the best bet, since that moves much faster while maintaining full dodge/parry/block, but it does tend to cause the mob to stutter step which sucks for melee.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I unkeybound backpeddle 4 or so years ago, and I've managed to live without it through any number of raid tiers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
yes
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/04/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Bromaster
You can strafe while keeping your face to the mob (continuing to dodge/parry/block), at 179 degrees.

this. I am not sure how everyone else typically does this, but I use:
holding down the right mouse button while using wd or wa depending on the direction. Itll take practice but you can reach a point where you're moving 80% backwards at normal speed and still facing the boss.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I dont see how I would have done Spirit Kings without backpedal

Edit: Even stone guards i backpedaled alot.

Vaults is backpedal city
Edited by Ðemolition on 10/4/2012 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I backpeddle all the time..i go heroic leap or charge in..thunder clap..backpeddle..line it up and shockwave.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Yes, sometimes the mobs wants to be inside me to I backpeddle to keep it in front or reposition a large number. It's easier to just press the S key then to strafe at 179 degrees.

Although if I am in the fire I'll use my mouse to run me out quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Is your name and your alt's name what I think they are? If so, I'm disappointed by your taste. Particularly of your alt; tsk tsk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I use both strafing and backpedal depending on situations, as others have said. I also will occasionally get that annoying mob that stands on top of me or basically flips around behind me due to getting so close, for these I prefer to backpedal as often strafing will lead to a sort of feedback loop with the mob trying to get behind, etc. I remember sindragosa being kind of annoying with that back in ICC, or maybe it was just me.

I think most of us that tanked in wrath likely remember when they made that big change to how mobs path. It was so frustrating for a while before we all got used to it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Most of the time I don't. One of the few times I might is a: if I'm just inside of charge range I'll back up, or b: if I'm trying to get the monsters into a better position for a shockwave (it's an 10 yd. cone attack, so I don't want to get TOO far away from them).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/05/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Bravehearth
I think most of us that tanked in wrath likely remember when they made that big change to how mobs path. It was so frustrating for a while before we all got used to it.

I remember that, and I'm still bitter about it lol.

On topic, BOTH backpedaling and strafing are necessary. If you move backwards unnecessarily fast, it hurts the damage output of your melee pack. This issue is aggravated further in a 25-man raid as opposed to a 10-man raid or 5-man dungeon.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
it all depends on what you're trying to do. if you're just kiting a mob or you need to move a mob quickly, turn-strafing is a fine way to go.

however if you need to slowly kite a mob (i.e. so DPS can keep up with it and keep DPSing it from behind), then you need to backpedal.

mobs always try to face you - that is, be in that 180 degree area of your face. weird things happen to boss positioning if you're not exact - your mouse hand twitches 1 extra degree and now the boss is at your back instead of in your face. or perhaps you get the turning right, but your finger twitches and the game registers two strafes, and now the boss you just wanted to move back has turned 179 degrees into your face, causing the rogues and ferals in your group to have fits as they dash around to get at his back again.

often you do it wrong, try to quickly right it before the game notices or something (:P), and the mob just goes all haywire.

i'll point your attention to this thread:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1920715056

which describes how mobs always try to face you, and how you can use that knowledge to position them better or make them move predictably.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
10/05/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Dekkar

I remember that, and I'm still bitter about it lol.

On topic, BOTH backpedaling and strafing are necessary. If you move backwards unnecessarily fast, it hurts the damage output of your melee pack. This issue is aggravated further in a 25-man raid as opposed to a 10-man raid or 5-man dungeon.

This. As someone who plays both a tank and a melee dps, I always appreciate it when tanks remember that the boss hitbox goes wherever the tank puts it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
not having backpeddle as a tank is ludicrous

same goes for any tank that unbinds keyboard turn because "keyboard turning is bad"

you often need to make fine or slow adjustments to boss or add positions.
Edited by Datmonk on 10/5/2012 2:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
not having backpeddle as a tank is ludicrous

same goes for any tank that unbinds keyboard turn because "keyboard turning is bad"

you often need to make fine or slow adjustments to boss or add positions.

You need backpedal.

Keyboard turning is still bad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]