Do you need to back peddle as a tank?

90 Human Warrior
10/04/2012 07:28 PMPosted by Celyndrashad
I backpeddle but i also strafe. It depends on the situation. Sometime a slow kite can be helpful.

^
I do not unblind S. There is nothing wrong with backpeddling. I back peddle+ strafe all the time as tank.
How ever S is not there to get out of fire or to press when you aren't a tank, and a mob is on you. that's what you call S keying. Don't do it. :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ever accidentally type that in chat?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ever accidentally type that in chat?

I've sadly typed all sorts of funky things in chat. Makes me so mad when I leave the chatbox open as I'm trying to fight something.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
not having backpeddle as a tank is ludicrous

same goes for any tank that unbinds keyboard turn because "keyboard turning is bad"

you often need to make fine or slow adjustments to boss or add positions.

You need backpedal.

Keyboard turning is still bad.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
many times, getting mobs to fan out well for a good aoe pack is easier with back peddle vs strafe.

On raid bosses, you should almost always strafe, but backpeddling can help melee deal DPS if the movement doesnt require immediate movement
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Oh god, yes. I can't imagine doing like half of Vaults without back-peddling. Spirit Kings would be stupid to try to strafe through. Hell, even when dragging my mob on Emperor in place, I was doing a sort of half frontal-strafe and half back peddle, just so my healer could keep up with me. I think the key is to not back-peddle when strafing is more efficient, but knowing what situations call for it.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Tanking is about utilizing your tools. It may not be necessary 99% of the time, but there will be that 1% of the time you'll wish you had it.

Same logic I have behind keybinding every single ability I have, I've found uses for them all at some point or another.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
10/05/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Sparklefever
There's reasons to backpedal, there is zero reason ever to keyboard turn, mental/physical disabilities aside.

My mouse is old, sometimes it freaks out and keyboard turning is a less disorienting method of moving. :p
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10/06/2012 07:30 PMPosted by Foiblesqt
My mouse is old, sometimes it freaks out and keyboard turning is a less disorienting method of moving. :p

Isnt this a better rationale for getting a new mouse than for rationalizing keyboard turning?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I wasn't advocating keyboard turning, which is why I included the :p just saying there are times when it is useful to have (my arrow keys work this way).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10/06/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Foiblesqt
I wasn't advocating keyboard turning, which is why I included the :p just saying there are times when it is useful to have (my arrow keys work this way).

I know i was trying to give you a hard time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you need to get from A to B absolutely at the shortest time, turn and run with your back facing the boss. Blow a CD if it helps.

If you can afford all the time in the world, walk backwards slowly.

If there's some mix inbetween use a combination of the above.

Edit: I keyboard turn all the time. Never had any content that penalised that.
Edited by Hatsune on 10/6/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Every tank should have the ability to backpedal imo. There are situations where it's the best movement option mostly due to how NPCs react to strafing. NPCs try to run ahead of you in the direction you are running when you strafe.

One example would be when fighting enemies that knockback. If you can put your back flat against the wall, then you're good. However, if you strafe into the wall, a lot of mobs will run through the wall and hit you from that side.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
However, if you strafe into the wall, a lot of mobs will run through the wall and hit you from that side.

I either misread that or I don't really get it. Maybe you can help me understand. Are we talking about a bug where you go through walls?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's more they or you can wind up positioned in a way against (the mob partially in) a wall so that they start evading, healing, potentially reset, etc.

The best example I always think of is in ST. The 4 green dragons with knockback will often toss you into walls, then chase you, and get evasion bugged until you pull them back off the walls.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's more they or you can wind up positioned in a way against (the mob partially in) a wall so that they start evading, healing, potentially reset, etc.

The best example I always think of is in ST. The 4 green dragons with knockback will often toss you into walls, then chase you, and get evasion bugged until you pull them back off the walls.

I chain pull heroics all day and I am really thankful I never had such an encounter. I'll be careful.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I haven't seen it really happen post-BC dungeons. Everything after those tends to have been designed a bit better (Understandable since they're newer) to prevent that sort of thing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
not having backpeddle as a tank is ludicrous

same goes for any tank that unbinds keyboard turn because "keyboard turning is bad"

you often need to make fine or slow adjustments to boss or add positions.

Confirmed for idiot
Reply Quote
48 Draenei Monk
Theres a Keybind for backpeddle? I've always just held both mouse buttons and used S.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]