Proccing Shuffle

90 Troll Monk
Howdy all. I recently switch to Brewmaster and it is a lot of fun. I know keep Shuffle up is mandatory, and I read that at high levels that Breath of Fire isn't used as much due to using chi for BoK, Guard, and PB. That makes me sad since I think Breath is a really cool move and what I consider a trademark Brewmaster move. Would it be too overpowered for instead of BoK proccing Shuffle through Brewmaster Training to let Breath do it instead? They both cost 2 chi, but one is the more BM move and the other I feel is more of a Windwalker move. What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
They should make Breath of Fire cost no Chi and have a cooldown. Would be better imo.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It is rather unfortunate to have shuffle only procced by BOK, and it doesn't make much sense for it to be procced by RJW. My only suggestion would be make it last 8s so that it is less of a chore, or add it to something that fits in better with a multi-mob rotation.

E.g. BoF (as mentioned, though this doesn't need to last 8s),
expel harm (to encourage this as being prioritized above a damaging attack as an out)
Purifying Brew, with something like a 10s cd (again, to encourage this as a true "out")

Unfortunately it is just too good not to keep at 100%, or you are simply a bad BM tank. It was great fun in the first two thirds of leveling, not having to worry about its uptime as much. That means you get to have less fun doing other things at higher levels : /
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
BOK stacks, if you do it back to back you get it for 12s and so on, i have been able to keep it over 20 secs most of the time once i get going

edit, as long as your not purifying too much or popping guard off cooldown instead of waiting for good times, you shouldnt need a timer for it
Edited by Kafu on 10/5/2012 1:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Shuffle need to keep up to increase your survivalability and at the cost of 2 chi which mean that you have to sacrifice damage from breath of fire

Number of times within certain period that you can use other chi require abilities depend on your energy regeneration rate which energy regeneration rate increase number of chi regeneration within certain period

But you can choose to use breath of fire in certain situation

Shuffle increase parry chance and stagger amount which is important for brewmaster monk to keep up

Brewmaster monk need to choose between offensive abilities or defensive abilities that cost resource so it is high amount of effectiveness of abilities (considering effectiveness and cooldown as well as duration) that brewmaster monk have
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
never breath of fire... ever
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
You can use breath of fire in certain situation
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/05/2012 02:20 AMPosted by Kafu
never breath of fire... ever

I wouldn't say never. Maybe never on a Boss fight but it does have it's uses on Trash packs especially if Glyphed even if the Disorient breaks early.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/04/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Lightvoid
They should make Breath of Fire cost no Chi and have a cooldown. Would be better imo.

I can agree with this.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
While all of these suggestions would make Brewmasters easier to play, I don't think they fit in with the design philosophy that Blizzard is going for.

The entire point of active mitigation is for tanks to spend resources on maximizing their survival. Damage (and therefore Threat) is supposed to be secondary. If we start baking AM into all of our moves, then it might as well just be a passive ability. The way it works now is that it's a decision... do I want more survival or more damage?

However... I do have one suggestion for BoF, because like you all, I want to use it more. I think it should work like SCK. SCK gives you a chi if you hit three mobs, replacing Jab. So let BoF be the BoK replacement in AoE situations, proccing Shuffle if it hits three or more mobs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
My suggestion would be why not borrow a mechanic from spinning crane kick for a shuffle proc on breath of fire. As in :

Breath of Fire:
Breaths fire causing damage to all targets in front of you.
If dizzying haze is on the target they will burn for additional damage over 8 seconds.
If Breath of Fire hits 3 or more targets it will proc Shuffle.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Damn you Maelyne. Beat me to it by 20 seconds
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
However... I do have one suggestion for BoF, because like you all, I want to use it more. I think it should work like SCK. SCK gives you a chi if you hit three mobs, replacing Jab. So let BoF be the BoK replacement in AoE situations, proccing Shuffle if it hits three or more mobs.

Holy cow, a well thought out and reasonable suggestion!

I don't know what to say.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Either that; or let BoF extend Shuffle by 1-2 Seconds.
Reply Quote
Every day I'm shufflin'.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
They should give BoF a 12 second CDn and let it have the same effect of purifying brew. So every time it comes up you use it instead of PB in AOE situations.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I like how Breath of Fire will interrupt casts that are not normally interruptable on trash on an aoe level.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
I very much like the idea of using BoF to proc shuffle if you hit 3 or more targets. That's awesome!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I think that Breath of Fire and Jade Wind should just be switched in terms of utility. Let the wind be the "more damage, less survivability" by providing more damage initially, and give the SCK buff, and let Breath of Fire be the AOE shuffle. So it would be something like Breath of Fire for max survivability, level 30 talents for mid damage/survivability, and Jade Wind as the max damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]