Questions about the mogu

90 Blood Elf Paladin
ONE
As I've been playing through mop, I've been kind of scratching my head over a few questions about the mogu:

1.,what state of power/structure/control/presence do they currently have on pandaria? I know they used to rule the land as an empire that eventually fell, but today they are in this weird position where they somehow simultaneously live next to the panaren and actively engage in war with them. They have their seat of gov with a king, standing army, and 3 clan leaders right between 2 pandaren cities... Hell the lorewalkers sit right on top of them...

2. Is there a reason they look a lot like orcs?

3. Not directly a mogu question, but they made me think of it: why do some races have such wide size variance that almost always corresponds to some kind of social rank? Coincidence they built their society around? Or self induced magic? Ex: ogres, mogu.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/05/2012 08:58 PMPosted by Darthelmet
2. Is there a reason they look a lot like orcs?

They don't look like orcs at all O.o Orcs look like LOTR orcs, and Mogu look like Oni (look it up).

1.,what state of power/structure/control/presence do they currently have on pandaria? I know they used to rule the land as an empire that eventually fell, but today they are in this weird position where they somehow simultaneously live next to the panaren and actively engage in war with them. They have their seat of gov with a king, standing army, and 3 clan leaders right between 2 pandaren cities... Hell the lorewalkers sit right on top of them...

I suppose it's like Colombia currently (I'm Colombian). Though the government rules the nation, in the wilderness areas that are generally inhospitable there exists large "revolutionaries" towns/areas where a bunch of people live, in between the major cities.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

The Vale was sealed, and besides a few caretakers, no one was there. The mogu somehow kept control of the interior of their palace, but nothing else. I have no idea how. The rest of them hid in ruins, and some other distant places.
Reply Quote
Nominally, the Mogu Empire never ceased to exist: it just became more fragmented, as the lesser races took control of things

The events of Mogu'Shan palace/Vaults are supposed to be like a rebellion where the remaining Mogu band together to try and take Pandaria once and for all. Instead, they become a collection of loot pinatas.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Is there really any indication that The Palace and the Vaults were occupied the whole time though? I've yet to see it... Instead, i've gotten the impression that their concerted invasion of the Vale resulted in their re-occupation of the Palace and the Vaults. One being their seat of power, and the other housing most of their relics, means both would have been prime targest for re-capture once they invaded the Vale.

I think it more likely that the Mogu, after the rebellion, largely took refuge with their allies, the Zandalari. Had they remained in the numbers and at the strength we see, the rebellion never would have been considered a success, and the Vale never would have been closed off.

Theres also the fact that, in doing the Golden Lotus quests, it's made quite clear that their return is surprising, and they they are infiltrating the Vale drom elsewhere (specificly a tunnel).
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Baalsamael
Mogu look like Oni (look it up).

Mogu look like Shishi or "guardian lions", Same as the Quilen, despite the latter's name. Their early concept name was apparently "Shishi warrior".
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
10/06/2012 05:46 AMPosted by Caeledor
I think it more likely that the Mogu, after the rebellion, largely took refuge with their allies, the Zandalari. Had they remained in the numbers and at the strength we see, the rebellion never would have been considered a success, and the Vale never would have been closed off.

The Zandalar didn't know the Mogu were still alive until the mists were lifted.

The Mogu mostly just hung out in ruins from what I can tell.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/06/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Skytotem

The ruins were empty until recently, I think. They only arrived in the Jade Forest and Karsarang a short while ago, so unless there's something in Kun'Lai I haven't seen yet I assume they haven't been east of the Spine in a long while.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
[quote="67931797289"]

You usually seem on the ball about things 'round here, but i have to ask... Are we told this anywhere?

The way i see it, the rebellion against the Mogu happened well before the sundering, about 12,000 years before present. The Pandaren had time to develop good relations with the night Elves, then cut off ties as they started to get all magic crazy. There was plenty of time for the diposed Mogu to take shelter with the Zandalar before the mists were created around the time of the Sundering.

Of course, the whole timeline is somewhat problematic when dealing with the wall and Pandaria in its entirety, because the wall is clearly designed to cut off part of the current contenant, even though it pre-dates the Sundering, meaning the geography it was designed for no longer exists. But i digres...
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
10/06/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Caeledor
There was plenty of time for the diposed Mogu to take shelter with the Zandalar before the mists were created around the time of the Sundering.

Mogu are too proud to be a welfare population, and if there were any on Zandalar, they would've gotten themselves killed off long before modern times, or have gone to conquer new land.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
10/06/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Skytotem
There was plenty of time for the diposed Mogu to take shelter with the Zandalar before the mists were created around the time of the Sundering.

Mogu are too proud to be a welfare population, and if there were any on Zandalar, they would've gotten themselves killed off long before modern times, or have gone to conquer new land.

They are also shown to think in long term equations though. They genetically engineered (with magic, of course) races to fit into particular social, economic and industrial niches, built a wall to hold off the Mantid and offer a continual means of exhibiting their strength, and instituted policies which kept down rebellion for thousands of years before the Pandaren (who are imensely clever) found a way around it.

They are also the only true allies Troll kind has ever been given, to the point where the Zandalar (albeit in a bit of desperation) revive the one who first cemented their alliance. The Zandalar/Mogu relationship is unlike anything we've seen before, regarding trolls, so i don't think we can assume the usual treatment for the Mogu had they taken refuge amonst the Zandalari.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
If they were not in Mogu'shan Palace, if they were not in Mogu'shan Vaults, if they were not hiding in mogu ruins, and if they were not with the Zandalari, then where were they?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/06/2012 08:26 PMPosted by Pumlaxer
If they were not in Mogu'shan Palace, if they were not in Mogu'shan Vaults, if they were not hiding in mogu ruins, and if they were not with the Zandalari, then where were they?

I'm leaning to "lifeless", in suspended animation.

Someone, or something, woke the Mogu back up. The Mogu started being active prior to us arriving there, if only slightly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mogu to me look like a cross between Eradar and Orcs, with funny faces.

They may be titan constructs. Maybe they were created the same way as Orcs if Orcs are Draenor's version of former constructs as well(like humans, dwarves, gnomes from Azeroth). As far as we know though I think Orcs evolved from Ettin or something like that.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior

I'm leaning to "lifeless", in suspended animation.

Someone, or something, woke the Mogu back up. The Mogu started being active prior to us arriving there, if only slightly.

This is interesting. I recall one of the lore items in Pandaria mentioning that the Mogu could repurpose flesh and souls, binding them to stone and other things. We see this in game regularly with their animated statuary... But what if they could do it to living creatures? And what if, by implanting a Mogu soul into a living being, they became Mogu?

If this were the case, only a literal handful of Mogu would have to have survived. So long as they had a single Spirit Caller, they could rebuild their entire empire given enough time and enough unwilling subjects.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]