Cross realm PvP griefing

90 Gnome Warlock
Really, Blizz, WHAT are you going to do about this? It's making it almost impossible to quest and level with out dragging around a body guard contingent. It would be one thing if it were players of level, but when there is a group of lvl 90's in a lvl 60 zone running around killing people at random, picking them off out of the sky, and taking out the NPC's ALL day long, this is annoying to say the least. Yes, I realize that it's a PvP realm my alt is on, so I do expect *some* level of pvp encounters. However, it should not take FOUR hours to complete one quest because either you are dead or the NPC's are dead. Yes, I've read a few of the other forums and there is a precedent where it only was addressed if it took days. It should not take days. There needs to be something done to discourage this. It makes playing this game annoying, not fun.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Honestly, this was happening long before CRZs. It's pretty much been happening since day 1 of WoW.

Besides, being on a PvP realm, there is a PvP solution. Drag around those body guards, call friends or other people to help you, or just log off for a few minutes. They will get bored and go away.

What is Blizzard supposed to do about it, anyway?
Edited by Trehtik on 10/5/2012 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
You are describing just what a PvP realm is all about. If you don't like it, transfer to a PvE realm.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2012 10:44 PMPosted by Boudicca
Yes, I've read a few of the other forums and there is a precedent where it only was addressed if it took days. It should not take days.

You're right. It shouldn't, and doesn't take days. It takes weeks, if not months, of having a character on complete lockdown. That doesn't mean getting camped and taking, as you said, four hours to complete a quest. It goes well beyond that.

You are experiencing PvP on a PvP realm.

There needs to be something done to discourage this. It makes playing this game annoying, not fun.

There already is. There are different realm types for people to decide which ruleset they want. You sound like a Normal realm person, where you can choose where and when to engage in PvP combat.

Note that on any and every realm, being ganked by a higher-level is not against the rules, and it likely will never be.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
working as intended

(PvP on a PvP server)
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
10/05/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Matineyney
the realm density jumped from medium to full with alliance 4 players to 1 horde player -

CRZs aren't included in your "realm density" where it says "medium" or "full".
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/05/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Matineyney
No matter how you rationlize it that is not pvp

PvP means "player versus player". No matter how much you want to reinterpret or twist the ruleset to suit your own needs, there is no language about it being a level-appropriate fight, or any population guarantees.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Its because the level 90's that are doing it can't PvP with people there own level. So they go and pick on the lower Levels.
My favorite one is when there gankin your alt then you log and get on your main that is say the same level and kill them, then you get the whisper that says your a fail and all that good stuff.
That is the ones I like to have fun with :-)
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Back in TBC I rolled on a PvP realm. One afternoon it took 3 hours to get from the meeting stone outside Uldaman to the entrance to the dungeon. That is what was expected on a PvP realm. I made a decision that I didn't like that style of play and re-rolled on a PvE realm.

I think many players on PvP realms have been lulled into a false sense of security that is almost PvE-like since the population has been low. Now when normal PvP occurs, they just aren't ready.
Reply Quote
I think many players on PvP realms have been lulled into a false sense of security that is almost PvE-like since the population has been low. Now when normal PvP occurs, they just aren't ready.

This exactly. I actually left my PvP servers a couple years ago because there was no real difference. Now that PvP has returned to PvP realms, I'm considering rolling on one again. All the delicious tears..
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Ok.. again.. as I said.. on a PvP realm, I expect some level of PvP action between factions. I get that. That part doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when it hits a point to where a person pretty much can't get anything done because of higher level people being a pain. There is no fun in PvP of that style. At least not to me. I don't go around ganking people 30 levels below me. There is no challenge or contest in being able to one shot someone. Yes, it has been going on from Day 1. But really, to those who run around making it almost impossible for someone to get anything done- is it really that fun? If so, I'm so sorry you have so little entertainment in your life. For those who said I sound like a "PvE server person, if you read the whole post, you'd note that I did say an ALT of mine was on a PvP server, not my main. My main is on a PvE server.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
oh- And getting rolled/one shotted by a lvl 90 when you are ohh say lvl 30.. I personally do not consider that normal PvP. Maybe I'm an idealist.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You are.
This has always been the intention of PvP server types. Even before WoW. During vanilla it was this bad.
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
What bothers me is when it hits a point to where a person pretty much can't get anything done because of higher level people being a pain. There is no fun in PvP of that style.

Just because it isn't your "style" of PvP, doesn't make it an invalid style. PvP of all kinds are allowed on a PvP realm. Your "style" of PvP is called PvE. As long as you are playing on a PvP realm you will be unhappy.
Reply Quote
55 Pandaren Monk
10/06/2012 03:27 AMPosted by Boudicca
oh- And getting rolled/one shotted by a lvl 90 when you are ohh say lvl 30.. I personally do not consider that normal PvP.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/player-vs-player-server-policy

Actions that would typically be considered "dishonorable" are considered legitimate PvP tactics and will not be addressed by our Game Master (GM) staff. Actions that fall into this category include, but are not limited to:

Corpse camping.

Tricking players into getting flagged for PvP (i.e. jumping in the middle of another player's area effect spell).

Killing players well below your level.

Also -

Our aim with the above policies is to provide a hardcore PvP environment for players who choose to play on PvP realms.

If hardcore world PvP is not your style, you will want to chose to play on a Normal realm.
Edited by Musashi on 10/6/2012 6:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Hunter
I totally feel ya, OP.

A RL friend of mine who I met through my work found out that I used to WoW back before Cata. You know how it is when gamers discover each other unexpectedly, LOL. Well, he wanted me to come play again, but I hemmed and hawed about getting back into WoW because I remembered it being a lot of grinding back in the day. But he bought me the expansion and said he'd invite me to his guild. I like playing when it's with people I know in RL, so I thought, "What the hell," and laid out the $ for three months plus an upgrade to the deluxe edition for that oh-so-fugly-yet-awesome Quilen mount.

Trouble is, they're on a PvP server. The guild is very cool, and I'm loving the new quests and areas of the game Blizz added since last I played, but... Oh. Em. Ef. Gee. These griefers! LOL! It's craaaazypants insane! I can't really game with my friend and his guild until I'm raid-worthy, so I've gotta level. I know people say to grind the DF to level without getting griefed, but there's only so many times I can do the same DF rushes with strangers before it gets petrifyingly boring, and the new quests are interesting and fun to solo. Right up until level 30 anyway. Now that I'm thrust into contested zones, it's a hellscape of wailing and gnashing of keys.

The first few times in the day I get one-shotted by ?? furries... Ok, whatever. I chalk it up to ill-raised teenagers and angry dudes with no girlfriend. But it's not a few times anymore. It's 10 minutes of quest and then a constant stream of ?? Furry Death from the Sky. After 30 minutes of getting corpse-camped by gits, I start to think it's a stupid waste of perfectly good free time, and there's not a lot to do about it but log off. My friend isn't around all the time to protect me, and I'm not gonna phone him up and be like, "Stop what you're doing right now and come save me." That's idiotic. I said something about it in guild chat, and one of my guildies gave me the PvP Server Welcome: they offered to log into their Horde toon and gank me for my trouble. LOL

I've concluded that PvP players like to spend their time in a fantasy world of cruel sociopathy because they don't have to deal with RL sociopathy like I do for a living. To them it's fun, whereas to me it's totally not the way I want to decompress after work. I'm all about the candyland RPG quests with fuzzy unicorn rainbow kittens, and I don't care who knows it. I'm not proud!

I know I'm made for PvE and have no business being on a PvP server. But, I don't want to start over. It already took me weeks to get to this level. Neither do I feel like I should have to lay out the $25 to transfer -- that feels like a protection racket! LOL! It's a crappy spot to be in, because I don't want to bail on my friend who has been on this server a long time and assures me that it's a great server, but neither does it make sense to spend my free time stuck in a one-shot loop while I'm trying to rune out because some wanker thinks it's hi-larious to harsh my mellow. Maybe the server is better at the higher levels, or maybe it wasn't so bad before CRZ (I hear that's caused some of this), but right now for me it sucks. I might stick around a bit longer, but if it doesn't get better soon, I'll probably cancel my account after my three months prepaid is up and go find some nice unicorns to frolic with instead.

OP, you are definitely not the only one who thinks it's b.s., but that said, one thing I do know for an absolute certainty is this: no one -- including Blizz -- gives a good !@#$%^- whether you are wasting your money or time getting griefed.

There's thousands more players where we came from, and griefers pay for an account same us we do. So from Blizz's POV, there's no greater value in our patronage than the patronage of a griefer. Companies cater to repeat business. Griefers stay and pay, and the people who they grief leave and stop paying. That's why Blizz will never do anything about griefers. Not ever. Their business model isn't set up to value any particular behavior beyond putting money into their account every month.

So while I feel you, that's the reality. There's no point in complaining. You'll just get hassled here by people who like to hassle people, and Blizz will ignore you. Unless it makes you feel better to rant, posting about it expecting something to be done is just wasting more time here that you could be spending doing something that doesn't waste your time. Trust me, you'll feel a lot better once you stop paying for a game experience that encourages Internet sociopathy when you aren't the kind of person who likes to pretend to be a sociopath.

:)

- K.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
While i find it incredibly frustrating to try and level through the world pvp after years of pve-esque realm that gorefiend was, I find it incredibly exciting to think that when i hit cap there will be some world pvp for me to participate in. Totally looking forward to it. :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/05/2012 11:07 PMPosted by Madisón
You are experiencing PvP on a PvP realm
Reply Quote
10 Draenei Mage
Well I like to address what it said in handbook. Lets try this again with second post. This is what it said in my handbook. The equal part which annoys me to no end. Thus, pvp was describing to me in a different light than it actually was.

Player Versus Player Combat
Under certain conditions, you can fight players of the opposing
faction. You cannot fight players in your own faction, except
through duels. Duels are explained later in this chapter.
Player versus player (PvP) combat is similar to normal combat
against monsters. However, there are some key differences.
You cannot attack other players at will. Certain conditions must be
met first before you can begin PvP combat. These conditions are
easier to meet on servers designated as PvP servers, and harder to
meet on PvE servers.

Level differences are less important. Although your damage per
second, health, mana, and available abilities are better if you are
higher level, all other combat factors are equal when playing other
players. For example, your chance to dodge, block, or resist spells
is the same whether you fight a level-one player or a level-sixty
player. This makes the playing field fairer for players of differing
level, while still maintaining a sizeable advantage for players with
a great level advantage.

Spells are limited against other players. Against monsters, your
crowd control spells – those spells that incapacitate or control the
target - operate normally. However, against other players, your
spells are subject to diminished returns. On your first casting,
these spells have 100 percent of their effect, but on subsequent
castings against the same target, these spells have 75 percent
effect, then 50 percent effect, and finally zero effect. Spells
subject to this rule include those that control or limit other
players, such as polymorph, fear, and stun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]