For All You Long Time Players...

90 Blood Elf Mage
How would you rate the game throughout the time you have played it? I have played since mid-classic, so here is how I would rate mine and why:

BC > Classic > MoP > WOTLK > Cata

BC is first because it was the perfect combo of challenging and fun. The raids were seriously impossible at first, requiring you to work for what you got. The lore was fresh, and we were exploring a new world. It was a great adventure.

Classic is second. Not because of how grindy it was, but overall the community made me like this expansion. Everyone used to be so nice and willing to help others, and every body was much more mannered than they are now. It is a great thing to say that a community upped this part of the game for me.

MoP (1st Impression) is third because it is already better than the other 2 in my eyes! The dungeon's mechanics are overall better than WotLK's already, because you have to pay attention to what you are doing. The quests are like a bigger and better version of what was in WotLK. And now, no one is bored like we were in Cata. This expansion added so many cool new things! Super stoked about this one =)

WotLK is fourth because I didn't think that it was overall challenging. I think what really got this in the fourth was just how easy heroics were in this expansion. It introduced gimmicky quests, which was the major contribution it made. And I truly appreciate those quests, as they make it tolerable to level, lol! I also thought that this is where some of the community started to rotten, and I have never been able to figure out why.

Cataclysm was last because I feel that it was poorly done. The whole game was based off of LFR/LFD, and I disliked the fact that I had to group with unpleasant people to get some gear/trading materials. I am not going to lie, I spent most of this expansion leveling my alts. The changing of the world was a really good bonus, but it doesn't weigh out with what a dissapointment Cata was in my eyes. Dragon Soul was really a disappointing because 6/8 bosses were re used models. This was a first for any of the end raids of an expansion. Usually they all have nice looking models with some nice lore, but not this one.

Remember this is just my opinion, and I would like to know how you would rate yours and why! =)
Reply Quote
8 Blood Elf Hunter
TLDR
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
MoP > BC / Wrath > Classic > Cata

It's been a bit of an adjustment (running heroics is less important now) but I'm really liking MoP so far. This is the best questing and zones they've ever put out, IMO.

BC had the best small group play. Unfortunately LFD means we can't have that back outside of challenge modes but I still have my memories. BC also had the best epic quest chains IMO. And Shatt > Dalaran (the flying city block) > Shrine of the Seven Stars (the single building)

I liked the zones and questing in Wrath. The dungeons got really boring after a while though and everyone seemed to hate my favorite instance (Oculus)

In Classic everything was shiny and new and bads got absolutely nowhere (required CC in every dungeon, punishing aggro mechanics, if you had a bad reputation nobody would group with you, etc) so the community at the level cap was a lot better overall. So even though it was grindy as hell everyone was buddies with each other for the most part so it didn't matter.

Cata at launch was a mess of ideas that didn't fit well together. It got a lot better with Firelands but then they gave us Recycled Soul for over a year. I sat out almost the whole expansion.
Edited by Kessiaan on 10/6/2012 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/06/2012 07:00 AMPosted by Evolutíon
TLDR

Sigh. As if the first sentence didn't say enough....
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Cata - MoP - Classic - BC - WotLK
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It gets better every patch

Classic = Paladin tanks (lol)
BC = Paladin tanks taken seriously
WOTLK = LFG (yay!) and raid saving by boss (double yay!)
Cata = LFR (triple yay!)
Panda = Cross realm coop (quadruple yay!)
??? = Yayifications
Edited by Hatsune on 10/6/2012 7:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
MoP > BC > Vanilla > WotLK > Cata

MoP has just been phenomenal so far, and I see it as the best expansion. As for the rest, I ranked them on the music. ;)
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
Vanilla: new game, new everything. That's what made it fun.

TBC: first expansion, new continent. Very poor raiding system with attunements; end game was boring or grindy.

Wrath: finished up the story of Arthas and the Lich King and had a lot of cool new mechanics and story telling devices. Heroics were too easy; raids were too easy.

Cata: revamped 1-60 was awesome. Everything else was boring. Didn't really care for the 80 to 85 stuff, thought at first Vashj'ir was pretty cool.

MoP: can't say anything yet. I prefer to judge expansions in hindsight.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
10/06/2012 07:35 AMPosted by Vindicaa
attunements weren't even a big deal, and the raids were far from boring.

New 70: "Hey can I join your guild? I just hit 70 and really want to raid!"
Guild master: "Are you attuned?"
New 70: "No."
Guild master: "Sorry, we need attuned players."
New 70: "How am I supposed to become attuned-- which is done only through raiding?"
Guild master: silence...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wrath > MoP > BC > Classic > Cata

Wrath brought the balance to endgame that WoW desperately needed. While the separation in gear, and the complete lack of a single Str weapon in any 10 man raid was annoying, between my pally rogue and druid, I could log on any night and go do a raid, and if my guild at the time wasn't a complete waste there were Heroic raids if you wanted an actual challenge. Farming heroics was also way less of a chore since you can go in, get through them, and get out... Challenging heroics are only fun the first couple times, then you start getting groups that want to skip trash, skip bosses, etc.

MoP finally started to add other options of things to do outside of raid and PvP, but there's still a huge lack in character progression, but there's a lot of starts to hopefully great things.

BC had fun boss mechanics. And if you think attunements weren't a big deal, you clearly never had to go back to an old raid to attune someone for the newer raid, when pretty much your entire raid group doesn't need anything from that old raid. It was a terrible idea.

Classic didn't have tornados on almost every fight in the game

Cata would have been decent but I got tired of the tornado obsession really fast.
Edited by Aldiara on 10/6/2012 7:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Vanilla: new game, new everything. That's what made it fun.

TBC: first expansion, new continent. Very poor raiding system with attunements; end game was boring or grindy.

Wrath: finished up the story of Arthas and the Lich King and had a lot of cool new mechanics and story telling devices. Heroics were too easy; raids were too easy.

Cata: revamped 1-60 was awesome. Everything else was boring. Didn't really care for the 80 to 85 stuff, thought at first Vashj'ir was pretty cool.

MoP: can't say anything yet. I prefer to judge expansions in hindsight.

attunements weren't even a big deal, and the raids were far from boring.

Attunements were actually cool, and I enjoyed completing them even though I didn't raid (or even run heroics that much, for that matter).
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
10/06/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Vindicaa
I never had that problem, it really wasn't as hard as you make it sound like.
Maybe my realm culture was different from yours. I didn't hit 70 until mid expansion, well after the first progression waves. Guilds were only interested in attuned players, thus new level 70 characters were left to twiddle their thumbs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Classic < BC < WoTLK < Cata < MoP.

I haven't ever played Classic or BC, so I wouldn't really be able to give a honest answer. =)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Played since vanilla. Steady improvement on all fronts as they release new expansions. Be it encounter mechanics, questing, mob design, or story.

Cata gets badmouthed a ton but there only 2 mistakes made during that expansion. LFR only had 1 raid zone and it had long sections of no new 5 mans.

The community aspect gets brought up frequently, but that's always been a function of your guild and circle of friends. Avoid/ignore unpleasant people. Talk to and be around pleasant people. Been true in every non single player game since the beginning of gaming and will be true to the end. No bearing on expansion cycle or even server.

Wish list for panda?
More difficulty levels for lfr. Yes, even normal and heroic skill level. Unlock it for players who wish to participate and complete a series of achievements based around showing mastery of the encounter's fight mechanics and personal output. Will this negatively impact guilds that are based around raid content? Perhaps, but moving guilds back to the social construct they were originally and away from the loot engines that they are now will only be good for the game.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
BC > Cata > vanilla > MoP > Wrath

BC was awesome with downrank healing, new heroic dungeons, far more accessible raiding, etc.

Cata provided tons of content to do even a year or more after launch with the 1-60 revamp, and I liked the difficulty at launch. It obviously had massive problems by not providing easier content at launch, so it was actually a bad expansion for the health of the game.

Vanilla was new, people were nice, and there were tons of things to enjoy. It probably wouldn't work as well today, but it was great for its time.

MoP just feels like a job instead of a game. Maybe that's the dailies, or maybe it's just playing WoW too long. Whatever it is, there just needs to be more fun and less boredom.

Wrath was just too easy for my tastes, and converted a great community into what it is today. Wrath did have Wintergrasp though, which was awesome until they broke it.
Reply Quote
I have been paying since the first beta (check my pets and you will see mini Diablo which means I bought the first CE) this is how I break it down. From best to worst

WOTLK MOP Classic (only Hipsters call it Vanilla ) Cataclysm BC

I rated BC last because it was great if you were Raid or die but sucked if you were anyone else.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]