A Civilized Approach to the Daily Quest Grind

90 Worgen Druid
I posted this in the General forums, but like everything in general, it got buried within minutes. So here you go, my fellow questers.

The Problem at Hand
First, I'd like to start off by saying that i'm not new to the concept of grinding out reputation for factions that I want gear or items from. In fact, I think it's a good system to streamline the process of raiding and provides a healthy boost to a raid when maybe the raid isn't mastering all of the mechanics of an encounter perfectly.
That being said, I have something to say regarding how the reputation is being earned. Currently, as many of you know, there is only one way to gain reputation with the necessary factions. That way is through daily quests.
I guess you could say that i'm a "casual" wow player in that I don't want to feel the responsibility to play wow every day. Some days, when i'm enjoying myself, I want to play for six hours. Other days, I want to go skiing or rock climbing and leave Azeroth at home.
The daily quests for reputation, coupled with the overpowered (Ilvl489) rewards, make raiders feel like it is a responsibility to do dailies every day, thus creating an unhealthy system in which raiders have to choose between real life priorities and staying competitive.

Feedback/Solutions
No post like this will be looked at seriously without at least an attempt on the poster's part to come up with creative solutions to fix the issue. Here are a few of mine.
1) Make heroic gear on par with valor gear, whether by lowering the ilvl of valor or raising the ilvl of heroic gear
2) Make weekly, more complex quest chains that one can knock out at any point during the week rather than extremely simple, daily quest chains that require a schedule
3) Get rid of the binding feature on spirits of harmony to make craftable items (Ilvl476) more readily available to the masses
4) Introduce a second way to increase reputation, whether it be through mob grinding, minigames, etc. (Similar to the way you can raise rep for the Tillers if you're so inclined)

Tips
Since the changes I discuss are unlikely to be implemented immediately, I have a few tips to make the daily process go smoother.
1) Log out where your dailies reset. This will give you the motivation to do dailies first thing when you log in and decreases your chance of missing a day.
2) Do dailies in groups. Since most Pandaria dailies are "Kill X" or "Destroy Y", grouping with whoever's in the area speeds up the process considerably.
3) Find time by utilizing time when you're normally sitting around. As a tank, I don't really wait in queues, but queue time is an excellent opportunity to knock off a few quests.

I'd like to end my post by saying that Blizzard has done a fantastic job with this expansion. I think Pandaria is beautiful and the work that was put in has really paid off. The changes I discuss are quality of life changes that I'd appreciate, but are not worth fighting and cursing over. Feel free to discuss changes, and other possible solutions I've missed below. As a team, we can be incredibly creative and actually make a difference through civil, organized feedback.
Reply Quote
You have to understand, blizzard made the dailies as a means of allow people who don't want to raid to get gear. While I agree it is unreasonable to assume that people in raid groups wont be expected to have it and possibly even told they wont raid if they don't, its intended purpose is to make it possible for you to get gear without grouping.

Also you have to look at it this way. Blizzard is a company after all. Maximum profits come from keeping people playing longer without making new content. Content costs money to make. Not to mention taking tons of time to create. Daily quests are like a speed limit on how fast you get gear. I have a friend who was 6 of 8 on Heroic dragon soul like 4 months after it was released. What I find frustrating to no end is that most of this game is trying to reconcile with those people and with the people who show up for 10 minutes a day and just mash buttons and demand loot.

The biggest beef I have with dailies doesn't come from Blizzard (although not fixing SERIOUS bugs burns me like you wouldnt believe) it comes from other players. The behavior of people doing them is what kills it for me. Running in and taking the objective that you are standing on while you are fighting the mob that guards it, aggroing 5 mobs and dropping aggro in the lap of another player, flagging for pvp and standing on quest givers or objectives. This stuff makes me want to quit more than just the lengthy dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
10/07/2012 12:09 AMPosted by Sevaria
Running in and taking the objective that you are standing on while you are fighting the mob that guards it, aggroing 5 mobs and dropping aggro in the lap of another player, flagging for pvp and standing on quest givers or objectives. This stuff makes me want to quit more than just the lengthy dailies.

I always try and help other people when i'm questing. Some people are just jerks.
Reply Quote
This seems like a reflection of real life some people are cool others are well you. I dig the daily quest thing also agree with all points stated. I think they did do a good job trying to include everyone this round I am actually enjoying the expansion a lot even me panda. Good hunting all
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Another problem/solution that has REALLY been getting on my nerves-

Quests involving item drops have a terrible drop rate. 'Shackles of Manipulation' is the worst offender here. The mobs are rare, there's a lot of other enemies in the area so the game doesn't like to rapid-spawn them, and they're spread over a large area.

It used to be that the item-gathering quests involved killing about as many mobs as the boring 'Kill x of y' type. That is no longer the case, and if you're unlucky, it can mean killing 4 or 5 times as many. With the current gear cap in MoP, nobody's doing a huge amount of damage so this is a serious time consumer.
Edited by Breathkeeper on 10/8/2012 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
Well said Arisolo!

For those of us with non-gamer spouses and families, playing everyday and making enough time to do dailies on raid days is not feasible.

Yet, raid-necessary enchants ( I don't care so much about the gear), are gated behind daily rep grinds.

Blizzard has set a system up that penalizes a certain player base. Blizzard put a great fix in for VP grinding via LFD for the exact same reason. I like you idea of a weekly rep quest.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Well said Arisolo!

For those of us with non-gamer spouses and families, playing everyday and making enough time to do dailies on raid days is not feasible.

Yet, raid-necessary enchants ( I don't care so much about the gear), are gated behind daily rep grinds.

Blizzard has set a system up that penalizes a certain player base. Blizzard put a great fix in for VP grinding via LFD for the exact same reason. I like you idea of a weekly rep quest.

Yah, let's pull the family card.....you know what, I know PLENTY of ppl with full time jobs, non gamer spouses, etc that manage to finish dailys...so please don't bring up that lame excuse as a reason Blizzard should change the daily system.

Secondly, the daily system is really the only way I make money now. Maybe you are flush with money and don't care, but think about the ppl that would lose their only source of income in this game....or do you even care, I wonder.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock

Maybe you are flush with money and don't care, but think about the ppl that would lose their only source of income in this game....or do you even care, I wonder.

Frankly I don't know you, so no, I do not care. If you chose to make money by doing dailies that's your prerogative .

Never said to replace or remove dailies did I?

What I did say was that there should be an option, similar to what Blizzard did for generating VP via LFD, for those of us who, for whatever reason (take your pick), cannot do dailies daily.
Edited by Scath on 10/10/2012 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Druid
Yah, let's pull the family card.....you know what, I know PLENTY of ppl with full time jobs, non gamer spouses, etc that manage to finish dailys...so please don't bring up that lame excuse as a reason Blizzard should change the daily system.

Secondly, the daily system is really the only way I make money now. Maybe you are flush with money and don't care, but think about the ppl that would lose their only source of income in this game....or do you even care, I wonder.

Yes there will be time to finish dailies, but will there be time to do anything else like heroics and raids or farming mats and doing professions?
Edited by Arborvitae on 10/10/2012 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Good day to everyone, I am just going to get straight to the point. Does anyone know how to do the daily heroic quest in MoP? I'm catching my tail trying to find this challenger orb so I can activate it and get this darn quest over with. If someone would be kind enough to answer that it would be very appreciated.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]